Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long did you suck for?

jedpeters

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what I tell all new shooters at my club......"Rome was not built in a day". What I typically see is the rush to make (pick a Class)without having the ability to actually shoot that classification score in a major against the real GM's. So if you make M but still shoot B class scores is that really a good thing? Learn to master all the little things that go into our sport and I think that you will enjoy yourself a lot more than just worrying about your scores. The scores will get better as you put the time and effort into your game. Typically you can see big improvements till you get in the upper C class, then there are no big jumps. In B class you will have some big swings from burning down a stage to wanting to burn your scorecard. Just when you start shooting your class at majors in B class, you'll move to A class where your overall performance will start to smooth out-no big ups and downs as you become proficient in all matters of shooting. Then it will perfecting every little thing about your game as you move up to M and maybe even into the dreaded GM class. Take the advice of many on here about taking professional instruction (Manny, Ted, Max, Taran, Travis, Ben, Rob, Todd, Jerry ect.........They are all excellent). There is a reason these folks are so good. Learn from some of their mistakes so that you don't make the same ones. In this sport, you can't muscle the results like some others. Too much fine motor skills but brain power is also involved. Gaming the stage is not something that you can just turn on, it is a learned approach. Take an RO class so that you know what you can do versus what you might want to do.Best of luck to you in your shooting progression........RoyTeam SV Infinity/Smith Optics Elite Shooting Team

This^^^^

Roy, your post was easily one of the most spot on things I've read here in a long time ... I've been shooting for less than 2 yrs with no previous background and after an initial classification of 47% I recently jumped to 58%. But now the gains are starting to come slower so in order to keep motivated I've revised my goals to be in smaller increments so that I continue to have success and keep training .. It's a long, steady climb to the top. Mike Seeklander once told me that most shooters never make A class not because they couldn't but because they get frustrated due to poor training techniques and/or unrealistic goals given their personnel constraints and just give up ...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started shooting IPSC about three months ago and was hooked. I should get my initial card next month after my next shoot on the 9th and will probably be a D Class. I am a decent shot that can hit most A zones, but do it so much slower than the others. I shoot single stack with one of my Government model 1911 .45's. My problems are that I'm used to shooting standing still like at the range and not accustomed to drawing, reloads while shooting, moving, etc. Then I started trying to do all the above faster and started missing targets, hitting the "No Shoots"', fumbling my reloads, and everything imaginable. I am now going to slow back down, been practicing at home my draws, reloads, and just hope over time with continued practice I start to get smoother and faster. I still enjoy it though and have a lot of fun.

"Suck" is relative. I'm a B Class Open shooter, and sometimes I suck, (by my standards), and sometimes I do well. I'm just not consistent. I shot the Missouri Fall Classic and finshed 15th combined out of 158 shooters, despite 60 point in penalties, but I also shot Area 5 and the Illinois Sectional and was craptastic.

All I can say is keep shooting as much as you can, and try to squad with shooters who are better than you, so you can watch an learn from them.