Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115 gr vs 124gr

perazzisc3

which do you prefer?

For which purpose?

Production or Open?

In Production I use 147s and plan to try 160s, but in Open I use 124s and plan to try 115s and 100s. Pistols without compensators feel softest with heavy bullets and fast powder, whereas the opposite is true of compensated pistols.

basically interested in any pros and cons of each

i.e. accuracy, recoil

Accuracy will depend on your gun.

Recoil will be personal - most prefer the heavier bullets -

seems to depend on whether you are a:

beginner - most can't tell the difference in recoil from the 115 to the 147 grain

experienced - most seem to prefer the 124 or 147

expert - most seem to prefer the 124.

IMHO

For production, I like 147's.

For open - When I started, I tried 115's and found them to be flatter, but way snappier. So much so that I didn't like them at all. When I went to my new gun, an Akai with a SV steel grip, I found that the weight of the grip and his comp tamed the recoil of the 115's down to the point that they felt lighter than the 124's had with the old gun, and still were flatter. I shot some of the new 115 loads in the OLD gun and still preferred them to the 124's. I guess my tastes and tolerance for recoil have matured since I began shooting open.

Shooting single stack, I've tried all three and did not like the 115's, as they were too snappy. The 147's I did not care for either, as it felt like I was waiting for the slide to return to battery, the 124's are perfect IMO.