Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-Gun Shoe, what do you wear?

Zmego

Fellraisers came in yesterday, and after having two pair of speedcross, I think these are better for our purposes. Wider toe box, lower profile, and they seem to have a little more lateral support. Can't wait to try them on the range this weekend.

I think the Inov-8s are pretty slick also. I have a pair I wear to work out in and love them . I went back and forth between the fellraiser and the inov8 mudclaw or xtalon. My only concerns with the Inov8s is that I know they are pretty minimalist type shoes, I was worried about their comfort/protection on gravel or rocky terrain.

Does the Fellraiser still have plenty of cushion?

Throw some pictures up!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought these on sale at cabelas for 89.00 and they have been excellent. I wore them to one 3 Gun match then took them to Utah and wore them on a couple of 5-6 mile hikes with no issues at all.

http://www.zappos.com/adidas-outdoor-terrex-fast-x-solid-grey-black-vivid-red?zlfid=191&ref=pd_sims_p_ab_1&zfcTest=fcl%3A0

Edited by venatic

I like minimalist shoes for gun games. The very thin sole lets you feel the ground well which I like and being lower to the ground might help balance slightly. My assumption is that I can shoot better on the move if I can feel the ground with my foot but that's just a theory. I like Merell Trail gloves or NB Minimus Trail. I have tried Vibram's while hiking and trail running but they allowed sharp rocks on the ground to hurt my feet, accidentally kicking things hurt, I was worried about breaking my little toe kicking things, and they took me a while to put on. I'm sure with continued use my feet would have adapted to the Vibrams but the Merrell trail gloves added just enough under my foot that stepping on rocks wasn't painful.

I'm a newb, (barely a B in uspsa) so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Greg

I like minimalist shoes for gun games. The very thin sole lets you feel the ground well which I like and being lower to the ground might help balance slightly. My assumption is that I can shoot better on the move if I can feel the ground with my foot but that's just a theory. I like Merell Trail gloves or NB Minimus Trail. I have tried Vibram's while hiking and trail running but they allowed sharp rocks on the ground to hurt my feet, accidentally kicking things hurt, I was worried about breaking my little toe kicking things, and they took me a while to put on. I'm sure with continued use my feet would have adapted to the Vibrams but the Merrell trail gloves added just enough under my foot that stepping on rocks wasn't painful.

Greg

Just a newb pistol shooter, myself. I prefer the adidas adipure barefoots over the Vibrams. I feel they have a better balance of flexibility/rigidity. And they slip on WAAAYYY easier than the VB's.

Greg

Don't the Merrel Trail Gloves Use the exact same sole as the Vibrams?

Edited by Tacticalk9

NB trail runners for everything except for when it becomes soup then I use a set of Merells. The NB are very light and grip well plus they were only like $65.

I just bought a pair and dominated at the last match I shot. way better then the combat boots i usually wear. price tag said $110 but they were also $65 at the register.

I went from Salomon Speedcross to Inov 8 Mudclaws and am now wearing Inov 8 Bare-Grip 200. It's as close to my Five-Fingers as I can get with an agressive, grippy, flexible tread. I keep hoping the new topo athletic shoe company(from the designer of five-fingers) will do an agressive tread model as it could be the perfect competition shoe. topoathletic Especially if they use the Boa closure system, no lace loops hanging out to get snagged, one of the things I really liked the Salomons for.

Edited by carbon9

I wear the Adidas Thrasher. Probably one of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn but I have narrow feet. Excellent grip, light weight and only $45. I just can't justify $180 for shooting shoes. My buddy wears the Salomon FellCross and loves them but again, $180....

I am looking for a pair of shoes, not boots, to run at my local matches. Our range is sand/gravel mix. I have been looking at some "trail running" shoes but figured I would see what others are wearing during the warm summer months. What do you wear?

I run shoes with holes in them because I spent all my money on guns and ammo and gas to drive to the match.

Pat

I wear New Balance because they're the one brand that doesn't squish my wide feet. If the shoes don't fit, don't get them!! I have absolutely no faith in footwear that needs a couple hours of wear to "stretch" to fit my feet. If they don't feel good, from the moment you first put them on, they should be put back on the rack, or given back to the sales person.

Obviously, I don't buy shoes mail order.

Some $25 Adidas Football shoes bought at Walmart (?) in Tulsa at the handgun nats back in -07 since I lost a sole on one of my old shoes during a stage. These shoes have served me perfectly on many different surfaces in many different matches over 6 year and I have never had any issues with losing traction or slipping, so it will be hard to find something as good and cost effective again.

However, these are falling apart so I guess I need to go back to Walmart soon, since I'm not spending $180 on shooting shoes that arent going to be any better than what I have.