Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Ha moment! I finally saw the sights lift.

stick

I went to the range today for a short training session. I ran into a couple of members shooting what was left over from yesterday's USPSA match. Melanie let me shoot her 38 special at 6 steel targets. The trigger pull was very long but smooth. I had to really to concentrate on the front sight and the trigger pull. That's when I had my A ha moment! I saw the sights lift. I switched back to my G34 and again I saw the sights lift. I'm considering getting a revolver for dry fire.

Where do I go from here? How do I expand on my breakthrough from today?

For dry fire or live fire, a revolver in .38 special is cheap, can be fed varieties of ammo, has a good trigger to learn on (because of the weight) and generally just a fun gun to shoot. I also find that watching the sights in a gun with a long trigger is...interesting...to say the least.

For dry fire or live fire, a revolver in .38 special is cheap, can be fed varieties of ammo, has a good trigger to learn on (because of the weight) and generally just a fun gun to shoot. I also find that watching the sights in a gun with a long trigger is...interesting...to say the least.

Amazing that it took a long trigger pull for me to finally see the sights lift. ...almost surreal how the target was blurred out and the sights were crystal clear.

I shoot a S&W 617 6" 22lr. It has taught me a wealth of information. Now this gun has been worked and tuned and I also shoot it in a Bowling pin match, and Steel Challenge. You are right on target I think. I just love the light coming on. Its so dark wher my head is some times.

:surprise:

Congrats!

I had the same thing happen to me, with my 22lr conversion kit. Not sure why it was easier, but I did keep the benefits when I switched back to my production gun. Whenever I go to the range now I do start with the 22 and get back into the 'shot calling groove' though. I have problems on the first few rounds, but after a few magazines it becomes easier and easier. I'm hoping with continued practice it will become natural, even from the first shot.

Similar moment here. :)

I have been learning a lot shooting my 686 revolver. My transition times between targets has come way down and my splits are actually shorter than with my semi auto. All of that is because I am "seeing the sights" when I shoot and the shots are going where I put the sights.

I recently compared a video of me shooting a similar stage with the revolver 8 months ago to two weeks ago and the differences are pretty astonishing.

Sight pictures and transitions make a big difference and I think the revolver is helping to teach me that! :-D

I went to the range today for a short training session. I ran into a couple of members shooting what was left over from yesterday's USPSA match. Melanie let me shoot her 38 special at 6 steel targets. The trigger pull was very long but smooth. I had to really to concentrate on the front sight and the trigger pull. That's when I had my A ha moment! I saw the sights lift. I switched back to my G34 and again I saw the sights lift. I'm considering getting a revolver for dry fire.

These are my favorite type of posts! Now you can head down the shot calling road!

These are my favorite type of posts! Now you can head down the shot calling road!
Thanks Brian! I went to the range again today and I noticed a difference when I was shooting some plate rack drills courtesy of Rob Leatham. I'm also really focusing on the wall drill during dry fire. I'll be calling shots in no time ( I hope).

THIS^^ is why I love the Bill Drill. It has taught me more about the correlation of grip, stance trigger pull and seeing sights than any other drill. My AHA moment was my first USPSA match. An array of six poppers, had 2 misses on the first 4. Time seemed to freeze and my minds eye saw me squeezing the strong hand while pulling the trigger. It was like an inner voice screaming, "TRIGGER FINGER ONLY!" the last two went down with ease. Congrats on your progress!

• 4 weeks later...