Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dual purpose Open Glock

waynes_world_45

So I have a 9 major open Glock with the following specs:

G17, Zev fulcrum trigger, kkm barrel, Sjc magwell, Sjc Cmore mount, Sjc mag release, Sjc slide racker, cmore optic, Sjc 11 port comp

122bcffc8210cae2d66876631b3d6fe1_zps27bc

I would like to shoot it at local steel matches but with minor 9 ammo

Do I need another slide/barrel/comp with appropriate springs to swap out or is a simple spring change with the current setup effective?

Or just a barrel/comp and spring change with existing slide?

I would think with that big comp, minor loads would not make it function as it should.

I would guess a whole different top end would be the most convenient way to go.

And which comp works best with minor?

Thanks in advance.

I have the same setup as you. I tried to use the gun for uspsa major and steel challenge, However I could not get the gun to run reliably or shoot flat enough with steel loads and the 11 port comp so I gave up on using it for steel and just use it for major loads.

It does run like a top when running 8.5 hs-6 with a 124 at 1.66 nice and flat.

For steel minor loads a light weight bullet ie sub 100 grain and a powder charge similar to a 124 grain load will get you close to where you wanna be

Theoretically that works, but it frequently doesn't in practice.

I once tried running 95gr .380 bullets with the same 6.8gr of Autocomp that I use for my 124gr 9 Major loads. Theoretically it should have worked, but in reality I had stovepipes because there wasn't enough pressure to cycle the slide reliably, even with a reduced spring weight.

What I have been doing recently is running 115gr plated bullets with either a reduced Autocomp load, or Win 231/HP-38. I try to make the PF around 140. Technically it's Minor PF, but it's still strong enough to assure reliable feeding, even without changing my spring. It doesn't really affect my results. I'm still faster than everyone at our range except our two Master class shooters, (I'm a B.)

For steel minor loads a light weight bullet ie sub 100 grain and a powder charge similar to a 124 grain load will get you close to where you wanna be

Theoretically that works, but it frequently doesn't in practice.

I once tried running 95gr .380 bullets with the same 6.8gr of Autocomp that I use for my 124gr 9 Major loads. Theoretically it should have worked, but in reality I had stovepipes because there wasn't enough pressure to cycle the slide reliably, even with a reduced spring weight.

What I have been doing recently is running 115gr plated bullets with either a reduced Autocomp load, or Win 231/HP-38. I try to make the PF around 140. Technically it's Minor PF, but it's still strong enough to assure reliable feeding, even without changing my spring. It doesn't really affect my results. I'm still faster than everyone at our range except our two Master class shooters, (I'm a B.)

Thanks...good info....

I have the same setup as you. I tried to use the gun for uspsa major and steel challenge, However I could not get the gun to run reliably or shoot flat enough with steel loads and the 11 port comp so I gave up on using it for steel and just use it for major loads.

It does run like a top when running 8.5 hs-6 with a 124 at 1.66 nice and flat.

So if you had a different top end with a 2-4 port comp you could just swap it out and go shoot steel? Would the POI change?

You could swap out top ends but im willing to bet poi would be different. I spent some time working on a fellow shooters open glock and during the process just changing comps changed the poi even with the same load.

You could run a slide ride optic to solve the poi issue..

Edited by jmnjoeyd1

How light of a load are you looking for ?

A Steel Challenge load where you are not worried about knocking over but just hitting or a reactive steel match like Tuesday Night Steel ?

For a true SC load, you will likely want a different barrel. Maybe an extended & ported one. For reactive steel, just drop from a 124 to 115 and drop a grain or 2 from the powder charge and go.

I'm running same gun, but 10 lbs spring for minor (4.2g titegroup on 124)

Major 13lbs.( 6.8g autocomp on 124g )

Well hell...I have production loads of 4.2 TG on 124s, but they're fmjs....I could run same load with CMJs and I'm running 7.0 Autocomp now for major

How bad is fmjs for the comp?

Your gun runs reliably on the TG recipe?

Edited by waynes_world_45

Enjoying this thread. I am looking for a Major Load for my Open Glock. I put it together with a Jager kit and KKM Barrel. Have been shootging a minor load, 4.2 Titegroup, 124 MG and OAL of 1.135. I do not want to hijack this thread but if anyone has a major load for this particular set up, please let me know. I can see I will need to go to a higher powered recoil spring an possibly change the comp.

• 8 months later...

You could swap out top ends but im willing to bet poi would be different. I spent some time working on a fellow shooters open glock and during the process just changing comps changed the poi even with the same load.

You could run a slide ride optic to solve the poi issue..

If you say that small changes in load and even changing the Comp changed the POI, How could / would a slide ride optic solve this issue. I would think that major changes in the Load, PF, Bullet type would have some effect on the POA / POI. Am I wrong?

I've also used 100gr bullets over 10gr of powder in my Open gun for steel, it's flat as hell, but last time I took off the comp and shot 115s over 3gr of Clays and liked it much more :)

Less noise, less powder and without the comp it really moves pretty fast. With that sub 100pf load the muzzle just flips up and back in an instant.

I won't go back to a compensated gun for steel, might try ported...

So I have a 9 major open Glock with the following specs:

G17, Zev fulcrum trigger, kkm barrel, Sjc magwell, Sjc Cmore mount, Sjc mag release, Sjc slide racker, cmore optic, Sjc 11 port comp

Back to the OP, try it with the stock barrel, super light loads with fast powder and just enough spring to close the slide. I think you'll like it.

I tried a 380 (95g) with my major load

Shot very flat but the OAL wasn't good cause I didn't get a good enough crimp at what I run major at. Some bullets actually fell apart in the mag. I didn't want to change my press setting so recently bought a set of dies for single stage press. Going to continue working on this load for ringing steel

• 3 weeks later...

I did what shooter 860 did in away....

Steel load 3.5 tite group, 124gr pltd x treme 933 to 950 fps

Soft and flat oh 1.160 oal

Gun... Sorry, MP 5" core w/kkm and 2 port comp, 12lb spring

Runs at 100% with above load.

I just run a 13lb spring when doing major ... Both are wolf on their G rod.

• 2 weeks later...

Been there done that with an Sti. I found the best minor load was 5.2gr of AutoComp w/124gr or 5.6gr w/115. The POI changes however, if a guy has a pencil and a piece of paper he can record the amount of "adjustment" on the sight screws and just reverse it when changing back. Sine my C-more is side ways it took 1/2 turn to get the minor load to the same POI. I tried several fast powder loads and they were flippy. However, I don't see the load being much of a factor except for make up shots and if you didn't miss in the first place you don't need them.

The Auto comp load comes out to about 135pf and it ran my guns nicely.

I just bought a glock open so I'll know more in a few weeks, since I got it for steel.