Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AFTEC does not tension properly on Springfield 45 GI

davidzapr

Hi everyone. I am trying to put an AFTEC extractor in my 2006 Springfield Armory GI model 45 and hit a snag. Getting it into the extractor tunnel was tight but easy to do, and I radiused the firing pin stop so it pivots well. But it does not hold empty or loaded cartridges at all on the slide. If I put a tiny screwdriver behind the hook of the aftec I can easily push it enough for more tension on the cartridge. Question is can I tension the front 1/2 of this extractor to get it tighter? I read every post I could find here and got no answer on that. And the instructions do not cover bending it and are explicit that any alterations void the warranty. I was directed here from another forum as they said a lot of people here run this extractor. Any help would be appreciated.

David

Got info from another forum: I tensioned it a little(padded it in a vise, wacked it with a hammer twice then checked it - seems gtg), but protected the hook of the extractor from bending. Seems to be just right now for holding and ejecting full rounds and holding empties. Will fire it tomorrow.

David

I am having the exact same problem with an aftec ext. I have been running my 9mm 1911 with one and it has been flawless. The installation was pretty much drop in and there was no issue holding an ammo. I got a new 1911 (Kimber Custom 45ACP) and bought an aftec ext per my excellent experience. Well, the extractor sits very loose in the channel. I do not even have to push it from the breech side to remove it. It virtually drops right out with gravity. With the springs, the tip does not move far in enough to catch an ammo. There is no resistance from the tip when I slide an ammo in place. I am completely puzzled. I am going to bend it a bit and see how it goes but I thought that the main advantage with the after ext is we do not need to bend it to adjust the tension/ reach. There is always something....

As stated, these are caliber specific. And they do sometimes require tuning. But that is done by adjusting the spring tension, not by bending the extractor body. The body is hardened steel, and bending it could compromise the part. Re: Series 80, there's no cutout for the plunger, so you can't even install the extractor with the S80 parts.

I believe that the extractor is a right one for my 45ACP gun but who knows. I got it from Dawson Precision and the package states "45ACP".. Yes, I had to grind the shaft at where the plunger touches. The one on my 9mm gun has been working fine.

IMO you don't need an Aftec in a GI .45. They have been running for over a hundred years with a normal extractor. I put over 50,000 rounds through a GI .45 with the same extractor back in the day in a SOC platoon.

That being said I do have an Aftec in my .40 Edge. But a tuned extractor can work just as well.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by BASE772

• 1 year later...

Bumping this back up looking for answers. I put an Aftec in my Spartan and there is zero tension on the cartridge.

Now what???

Yes, I had to grind the shaft at where the plunger touches.

Not quite grasping what you're saying here.

Ah so. I thought perhaps that's what he meant, but I was hoping otherwise.

From the instruction sheet, you can see in this incredibly helpful photo, that I'm supposed to stick some object in the hole and do something. :blush::D

78_photo.JPG

Remove metal from the strike point so the extractor can get closer to the rim. but the extractor isn't anywhere near the strike point now, so how will that help? I guess they mean well inside the slide?

Edited by cas

Well... I decided that the one thing that would fix this problem was a whole new slide if I screwed this one up. :D

So with some swiss file work inside the extractor tunnel, I've got what I think should be sufficient tension.