Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not sure I've ever posted over in this corner of the Forum before.

I am anxious enough about different match rules to get some confirmation from others who haev been at more tches and different matches than I have.

I've looked at 3 Gun Nation Club rules, Rockcastle ProAm rules, FNH3G rules, SMM3G rules, Ironman rules, Texas Multigun rules, RM3G rules, and one or two more. I was initially looking at all the subtle differences for Heavy Metal. But I was also looking up in the "Open" sections since I currently shoot that locally. I saw almost identical rule statements. Functionally, they appeared to reach identical end results for Open division. Is this the thinking that the more experienced in the crowd have?

I'm thinking "One set of sticks for Open and I can go virtually anywhere" without having to suddenly get a different gun (I'm looking at you "1911 or nothing rules" in some Heavy Metal games, because I have a M&P 45 not a 1911). I'm using that just as an example. I'm not confused by the divisions. I only want to get some "Yeah you're reading it right. I shoot Open and I don't really have to change anything no matter where I go." Or, "Well kinda, except at this place.....<whatever story inserted here>"

I'm doing Open currently in what I call "mostly assed" mode. I need to clean up some of my configurations and then get *much* better. It's more than half assed, but not up to full speed. I've got a few other guns but never compete with them. Thinking how to simplify things to possibly one set of competitions guns (just three) and then focus hard on improving my skills with only them. I don't shoot enough or often enough to build good skills in two divisions. Keeps ammo supplies/logistics more manageable as well.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your quick comments below and either confirming or refuting my conclusion that Open rules are "open enough" to be valid almost anywhere.

Most of what I see Tac Ops and Open are pretty universal in all the matches I attend. Being primarily a HMO shooter this year, you are correct to state that there are differences match to match for that division (even some with HM and Tac Lim with no requirement to use Irons or a 1x scope). TFD allowed 9mm for a pistol. Some matches restrict mag cap (FNH 10rds), some don't but require a .45 (Bushmaster). It is pretty safe to say that if you pick up open, you would be pretty much good to go for any match.

Most of what I see Tac Ops and Open are pretty universal in all the matches I attend. Being primarily a HMO shooter this year, you are correct to state that there are differences match to match for that division (even some with HM and Tac Lim with no requirement to use Irons or a 1x scope). TFD allowed 9mm for a pistol. Some matches restrict mag cap (FNH 10rds), some don't but require a .45 (Bushmaster). It is pretty safe to say that if you pick up open, you would be pretty much good to go for any match.

Thanks. I've been doing Open since June 2012. But, only locally. I have been thinking about if I could compete in other divisions. That is what got me started looking at all the rule sets. Some rules are different between the monthly match in my area and the quarterly match a bit farther away. HM rules in particular. While researching all the niggling differences in "Heavy" rules I saw that Open rules were remarkably consistent. 170mm or shorter pistol mags, bipods could go a couple of different ways, don't change any barrel lengths, and shotguns have to keep same length tubes when they have them [advantage to mag fed shotguns :( ]. That was about it. Almost identical across the country. So, I just wanted a sanity check of my research with this forum question. Like you said, Open and Tactical Optics (various names) seem very consistent across the country. Heavy variants, not as much. Thanks.

What did you shoot before HMO?

Thanks. I've been doing Open since June 2012. But, only locally. I have been thinking about if I could compete in other divisions. That is what got me started looking at all the rule sets. Some rules are different between the monthly match in my area and the quarterly match a bit farther away. HM rules in particular. While researching all the niggling differences in "Heavy" rules I saw that Open rules were remarkably consistent. 170mm or shorter pistol mags, bipods could go a couple of different ways, don't change any barrel lengths, and shotguns have to keep same length tubes when they have them [advantage to mag fed shotguns :( ]. That was about it. Almost identical across the country. So, I just wanted a sanity check of my research with this forum question. Like you said, Open and Tactical Optics (various names) seem very consistent across the country. Heavy variants, not as much. Thanks.

What did you shoot before HMO?

Tac Ops... like most everyone else :)

Edited by KTKlaus

Open is pretty open and similar best I can tell.

Heavy Optics isn't so easy. In order to have everything you new for heavy optics buy everything you need for heavy irons, Tac optics and USPSA limited and youre set.

Totally agree! I wish there was some commonality between outlaw matches (I see USPSA as its own little world) for HMO. I would think a 308 Rifle (no mag cap, or 20rd is fine), .45 (no mag cap), semi shotgun would be the norm... but it seem every outlaw match its own flavor from magazine capacity to caliber on pistol (sad 9mm). Anywhere you go open... is well open.

Edited by KTKlaus

I'd prefer a 308 with 20 round max, a 45 of 8 or 10 (but be platform agnostic; not 1911 snobbery), and a pump shotgun. But just as long as we see more standards. I agree with you guys that you need a variety of stuff to play in different places.

The only match that I've seen that was truly "OPEN" was Trooper Class at Ironman. You could even change the overall configuration of the guns between stages.

That's what I'm talking about! I think Chuck Andersen has the Crimson Trace midnight match setup the same way. Its too much fun trying to buy a better game!