Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

moving on the buzzer

Gailor

If a stage calls for the shooter to begin movement upon the buzzer what tips or techniques do people have for beginning that movement as quickly as possible? It seem that many shooters take a long time to get out of the box and get going. Any suggestions for getting the feet moving quicker?

Depending on how far one has to move to get to first array, i usually try to listen for the beginning of the buzzer and move when i do. Have gun out and up as soon and as safely as you can.

Last match one stage called for starting in a box and upon buzzer shoot the course. I found it faster to step out of box and draw gun in one movement as apposed to move, then draw.

Also standing flat footed i would think slow things down a bit, lean a lil bit forward on the balls of your feet.

This is just my limited experience.

Move your center of gravity in the direction you want to move. Then collapse your leg. What this means is if your first movement is to the front left, stiffen your right leg and flex your left a bit. When the buzzer goes off collapse the left leg so that your entire body starts moving in that direction. As your center of gravity moves forward you then straighten the leg back out as you bring your right leg forward.

I like to have an athletic stance, body weight forward and if allowed by the stage description, body facing in the direction I intend to move. Also, don't stand flat footed, get on the balls of your feet.

When the buzzer goes off immediately drop one leg back so you can push off.

I did track for several years and practiced moving the moment the starter gun fired. I'd recommend doing some practice where you set a random delay on the time, start the timer and when the buzzer goes off run several yards.

Edited by jdphotoguy

...When the buzzer goes off immediately drop one leg back so you can push off...

This is advocated by a number of teaching GMs. It can be done forwards, backwards or to either side, and is also used during field courses to move out of shooting positions, not just at the start.

Learning to start to move at the start of the beep, not waiting to move until the end of the beep, is also a time saver.

Edited by kevin c

I like to practice moving out quickly, by starting outside the shooting box . . . be it one step out or three. At the beginning of the beep, I take the required number of step to enter the box and break the shot the instant my weak side foot touches the ground. This way I can establish a par time, and work to break the shot quicker.

As far as stance, I have found it takes more time to step back and push off than to start with one foot reward in the first place.