Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

State Games of America

Having taken a break from shooting sports to focus on my primary hobby of competitive fencing (sword wielding type), I went up to Harrisburg PA to compete in the State Games of America. The SGA is held every two years and those who qualified from their respective states games can compete. This was the first time in the last three SGA that the sport of fencing has been held.

I competed in two of the events held, Veterans Mens Combined (40+) Epee and the Senior Mens (13+) Epee.

In the seeding pool for the veterans epee I went 3-3, and came out seeded 15th out of 27 into the direct eliminations. I won my first direct elimination bout against the 18th seed in the bracket of 32, and then went on to face the 2nd seed in the bracket of 16. After a tough loss, I finished 13th in the standings.

In the seeding pool for the senior epee I went 3-3 (just missed winning a fourth bout), and came out seeded 21st out of 40 into the direct eliminations. After having a bye in the round of 64, I faced the 13th seed out of pools. While I fenced well in the bout, I was defeated. I finished 23rd in the final standings.

All in all I fenced well during the weekend. . . .Now it is back to practice in both fencing and shooting sports so I can be ready for my next competitions.

What physical and mental techniques have you found that crossover between shooting and fencing?

Both sports are a lot like chess. In both I have to prepare for numerous possible situations that I may face in a match, either in fencing or shooting. The mental demands of both sports are similar I have found, but with fencing you are dealing with an opponent that is directly playing directly against you. In shooting sports you take your turn and hope that your engagement of the stage is better than your opponents. In fencing you immediately know if your plan/tactics are better by who scores the touch on each engagement, and ultimately who wins the bout.

As far as techniques that crossover, visualization is the most common for me. I imagine different fencing and shooting situations that I might face, and tailor practices for each sport for that situation. I want to have prepared for as many possible bout and stage situations as possible.

Edited by Blueridge

What physical and mental techniques have you found that crossover between shooting and fencing?

As far as techniques that crossover, visualization is the most common for me. I imagine different fencing and shooting situations that I might face, and tailor practices for each sport for that situation. I want to have prepared for as many possible bout and stage situations as possible.

That makes good sense. In the end, you might want your goal to be that you could properly respond to anything that might happen, in any scenario.