Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA match in a while...UGH!

rpcruab

Why ugh? It looked like a lot of fun!

I had a moment in this weekend's match of my own that I had to transition on the move with a mag change from strong hand to weak hand only. In that very moment I yelled to myself, "You dufus, you forgot to practice this!" I guess it worked out, but don't you hate those moments?

I think you did fine and your speed looked good!

Why ugh? It looked like a lot of fun!

I had a moment in this weekend's match of my own that I had to transition on the move with a mag change from strong hand to weak hand only. In that very moment I yelled to myself, "You dufus, you forgot to practice this!" I guess it worked out, but don't you hate those moments?

I think you did fine and your speed looked good!

It was definitely a lot of fun! I was just bummed I made so many mistakes. I've been shooting too much IDPA lately and kept unintentionally running the pistol dry, even though it wasn't part of my stage plan. :lol: Hopefully someone can pick out some other issues for me to work on.

I'm a B class shooter, but a master critquer. Here you go...

Move when the timer goes off. You can draw, and load as your moving to the 1st shooting position.

Avoid sticking your gun through ports, if at all possible; it takes that much more time to bring the gun back out of the port.

When doing your walk through before shooting a stage, plan your reloads, and get them done as soon as possible. Targets should never be waiting on you while you’re standing still in front of them.

Stop the spraying and praying, especially on swingers. Pick a spot in the A zone and shoot it twice, no matter how long it takes.

Most of us can't get away with dancing around on one foot while shooting. Get a more stable shooting stance, if at all possible, but a stance that allows you to quickly move out of the shooting position.

Try to squad with Dan Burwell; I’m sure you can learn a lot from him.

Good Luck, and Happy Shooting!

Edited by grapemeister

I'm a B class shooter, but a master critquer. Here you go...

Move when the timer goes off. You can draw, and load as your moving to the 1st shooting position.

Avoid sticking your gun through ports, if at all possible; it takes that much more time to bring the gun back out of the port.

When doing your walk through before shooting a stage, plan your reloads, and get them done as soon as possible. Targets should never be waiting on you while you’re standing still in front of them.

Stop the spraying and praying, especially on swingers. Pick a spot in the A zone and shoot it twice, no matter how long it takes.

Most of us can't get away with dancing around on one foot while shooting. Get a more stable shooting stance, if at all possible, but a stance that allows you to quickly move out of the shooting position.

Try to squad with Dan Burwell; I’m sure you can learn a lot from him.

Good Luck, and Happy Shooting!

Thanks for the pointers!

Looked like you had fun. What bullet & powder are you using? Lots of smoke.

I was using straight lead 135gr bullets with VV N320 powder.

Keep the gun higher when reloading. You are good with keeping the gun up and out when coming in hard and shooting on the move, but a few times you came into position, stopped and brought the gun up to engage the target. You need to be engaging with the gun as you enter the position so as soon as you stop you have yours sights lined up and can fire the gun and get good hits.

• 2 weeks later...

In the first stage shown, you should have been starting with a 10 round mag (production), I count 11 shots to slide lock. You also should have reloaded after the 8th shot while moving to the next position on the same stage. Plan for the reloads. keep your gun high during the reload. On the second stage, did you have to go all the way to the front corner against the right wall? if not don't.