Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

picking up brass after every stage

timawa

If you're able to easily pick up brass after each shooter, you may need to take a look at whether the stages at your matches are freestyle.

I don't get it. What do you mean by freestyle? Because the transition from shooter to shooter gives enough time to go pickup some brass? Yes, most of the stages are on grass, but why would other surfaces make a difference?
On a stage that is truly freestyle AND has options, the brass tends to be pretty spread out and not clumped in a few areas for easy pickup since shooters are trying different things and in most cases moving. Think classifier vs field course as to distribution of the brass.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I was disappointed in at this match was that so many of the stages had shooting boxes as opposed to larger areas from which to shoot. Shooters were really disallowed from shooting on the move. There were definitely clumps of targets that would have been quicker to engage if one could shoot while stepping past the ports instead of being required to stop in the small box, engage the targets and then move on to the next port.

Now I get "freestyle"

If you had to engage the targets through a port then the freestyle aspect is moot. Ports are shooting boxes on walls. The fact that they used shooting boxes tells me that they probably had a number of targets available between the shooting positions that they did not want engaged on an as available basis . If the club has the materials and time they accomplish that by putting up walls. If they are short on materials or time they will restrict the shooting area through the use of shooting boxes and rely on a Level 1 exemption.

If you're able to easily pick up brass after each shooter, you may need to take a look at whether the stages at your matches are freestyle.

While I understand what you are getting at, squads of shooters will often follow a similar pattern when they engage a stage. This will lead to "common" locations where the brass will land. Everyone is trying to take the "optimum" method to shoot a stage and the overall variations within a squad are likely to be very little. Thus it is less of if the stage is freestyle and more about if various shooters choose to shoot it differently.

Just my observation. . .

Edited by Blueridge

In ECO we expect shooters to help pick up each other's brass whenever possible. Our range surfaces are all gravel/sand/hardpan.

In VA/MD that didn't seem to be very common. On grass it's frankly impossible (the brass just disappears).

The idea that you can't pick up brass on truly freestyle stages is 100% silly. Just look at the ground, you'll find it. You certainly won't get it all back -- and I question any claim of 90%+ brass return at matches -- but you'll get something.

Much like our neighbors to the West (AZ) we formalize the policing of the range. The squad is suppose to tape, reset and pick up brass. If by chance the shooter also picks up their own brass we make a bit of noise about it because the squad is responsible for picking up the shooter's brass.

None of this BS about can't pick up until the end of the match, required sharing of brass, or only club members get to keep their brass. We treat our matches as a volunteer sport--either help set up or help take down. Scores are not posted until the stages are down.

Some guys mark their brass just because it helps them see the fallen brass better.

We just started having problems at our local range with brass. We have so many new shooters, and everyone seems to be reloading everything now. I think we are about to implement a new rule set.

Since brass rollers are readily available and within club budget, along with sorting trays and 5 gallon buckets. I'm thinking of assigning brass collection to a select couple of participants. To roll the ranges during take down. All brass collected will be sorted thru trays then dumped on the table after the breakdown is complete for competitors to pull their own brass. That way the guys who mark their brass, can get there's, and others can get about what they shoot with a fair recovery rate. Hopefully it will cut down on complaints or range buzzards pickin the bays clean before the shooters who are helping break down get a chance to recover some of theirs.

The matches I go to vary as far as brass pick up. One allows pickup of brass after every shooter dependin on stage and squad size, few allows brass pickup after everyone has shot, and a one I go to is a loss brass match even for a monthly/local match (maybe that has to do with the size of this match/3Gun). It really all depends on the location but even with rollers and what not, I just hate to see those "brass rats" that only pickup brass or ask everyone if they reload and dont contribute to stage reset. Stage reset comes first in my mind.

But isn't brass cleanup PART of stage reset? It isn't just a matter of picking up $nickels$, but a matter of keeping the ground clear of hazards. Stepping on random brass, depending on the surface, could be slightly unsafe, right?

Do people of matches generally see brass cleanup as a bunch of "buzzards" or one job of many during the collective process of resetting the stage between shooters?

I'm betting the attitude of the brass person matters...those who are handing brass back to the shooter who shot the brass vs. those who are pocketing all those $nickels$.

While cool for practice or plinking with a rifle I have never used nor seen used these brass catchers in a match. They are too cumbersome and impractical for a match. If used in a pistol match you would put yourself at an extreme disadvantage.

Everyone works at our clubs. We have upwards of 100 shooters on average so we call an order.

Shooter

On deck

In the hole

2 on brass

2 on steel

2 taping

And if I am the shooter I get what the others miss. I am leaving with close to all of my brass.

This. If someone is assigned magazines and brass for the person who just shot the SHOOTER won't have to worry about their brass. With tapers etc. you'll have everything lined up and ready to go.

The problem is when people get to talking or bored and don't want to tape or forget etc.

Usually see people pick up brass between shooter and at end. But only a few at a time to not get in the way of "keeping things moving". Also try to pick up the amount the shot +/- a few if they realize no one else is.

• 2 months later...

Both clubs I shoot at as long as you are helping to reset people go ahead and pick up brass, half or more people are shooting 9mm so people just grab some here and there.

I try and get the 45 shooters their brass back since that is like gold. Last match I knew our squads RO from weekly practice I tried to grab him handfuls now and then and threw them in his bag since he didn't have time to pick up.

Back in the day, 90s, it was never a problem. Everyone wanted their brass back so 1 or 2 shooters always picked up brass and sorted by each shooters mark. I always got back about 90% to 100% sometimes. Times have changed! Now if you don't pick up your own brass you lose it.

The trick now is to convince the significant other to go to the match and pick up brass. Of course she does get a nice night out after the match.

The trick now is to convince the significant other to go to the match and pick up brass. Of course she does get a nice night out after the match.

You can buy brass cheaper than that! :)

When I first started in the sports, everyone taped, everyone picked up brass, everyone reset steel except the shooter, score keeper, RO, and on deck shooter.

In the last few years, this changed and, personally, I don't like the change. Shooters stand around while no one picks up brass and a couple re-set the stage. In a shotgun match, there are hulls all over a certain range to the point it is a hazard for people like me with bad knees and ankles.

Keeping the surface clear should be part of every stage. I don't care if I get my brass back or not (I would like to get it but it is not that important). Making the surface the same for every shooter should be the priority.

BUT, that is my minority opinion :angry2:

Picking up brass...

It used to be standard that an order was called and everyone worked at a local match

Shooter (Just shot)

Shooter (Current)
On deck
In the hole
2 on brass
2 on steel
2 taping

RO

Score Keeper

By my count that means that 12 people on a squad is ideal.

I think we can cut that to 9 with one on tape, one on brass and one on steel. but it can get tight if the stages are spread out over a large bay.

I remember we all used to mark our brass and we almost always came home with nearly all we came to the match with. Now since so many people don't opick brass a few of us can easily come home with more than we came out with. I miss the good old days, sort of...:)

You can buy brass cheaper than that! :)

We'll........yes there is that problem. Maybe.......McDonalds!

For the most part up here in ON every match is a lost brass match unless you stick around to help clean up the range and then the brass is divided equally among the workers. It all works out in the long run because when I visit ranges I leave my brass behind and when people visit my range then I get their brass so it all works out in the end and the squad moves along efficiently

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk

I just wish the range I'm at had a policy or at least a consistent practice concerning brass. It just seems like a few people do whatever they want to. I'm trying to just do my part and get as much brass back as I can by brassing after every shooter and giving people back their own hot brass. Most people reciprocate by not taking my marked brass.

Its very different between the two clubs I frequent. On my USPSA-style matches, club members only club, tapers also pick up your brass and give it to you! Its really nice; I get about 60-70% brass there. On my local USPSA-sanctioned club, I pick some when going to tape the targets and coming back. At the end of the day when all the stages at put back, I pick up as much if Im not too tired. I get back <50%.