Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Over under for clays

matthewbas

Start your search with the Browning Citori or Beretta 686 or 687. Both are great guns that will last dang near a lifetime and hold their value. Either has a different fit and feel so try to handle and shoot both to see which suits you best. The game you plan to shoot (Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays) will have a bearing on the exact model variation you want, ie. Barrel length, stock shape, etc.

Avoid the lesser quality, lower priced guns. While they may be OK for the occasional fun shooting 2-3 boxes of shells a year out in the backyard they will rarely hold up to the high volume most target shooters put through them.

Hello: Look at the used over/under market. Beretta 682(black receiver or E) , Browning 525-725, and Krieghoff model 32's. The Krieghoff and Beretta fit me well. I would try some different ones out before you buy. I would then ask around your club to see what is for sale. Guys sell shotguns like ... well you get the idea. Thanks, Eric

Depends on your budget and how serious you are. If the Perazzi, Kriehoff and Kolar are in your price range you will not find better guns that will last a lifetime plus. If you are on a budget and will not be competing every weekend then look at the Beretta 682 series or the Browning 425, 525 etc. I am not saying the Beretta's and Browning's cannot take the competition because they can. They will require more maintenance and small parts than the previously mentioned guns. Somebody mentioned the Krieghoof 32. The 32s went thru several upgrades during the years they were built. The eaely guns had trigger problems. There are a bunch of 32s out there that are 50+ years old. If you are considering the purchase of a Model 32 make sure you have it completely gone thru by a qualified Shotgunsmith that knows Krieghoff's. They are very pricey to fix.

It really depends on your budget But I would go Browning or Beretta as a low end and go used if need be. I use to shoot a ton of skeet and a lot of people tried to get a cheap OU just to have one when they could afford a nice semi. The cheap guns don't hold up to the use that clays puts on them. A used Beretta or Browning usually holds its value very well

625 is a nice gun just depends on if you like the feel of the gun. Brownings and berettas have a totally different feel and balance same as the high dollar krieghoffs will feel different from the perazzi and kolar

Edited by EkuJustice

Hello: You may want to try it out first if you can. The Brownings feel deeper in my hands but still shoot great. I am still very new to shotgun games but if the gun feels right in your hands it will shoot well for you. I made the mistake of picking up a friends Krieghoff model 32 and had to buy one, actually 2. I got them for a great deal and then picked up a Beretta 682 and had to have one of those as well. The best part is that I have less in all three guns than a Browning 725 costs new. There are great deals out there if you know what you want and are willing to wait. It seems that there is more older guys leaving the sport than new ones coming into it. I shot with one group here that the young guy was only 83 years old. They all kicked my ass but helped me get a little better since I was almost half there age. Just a note if you want multiple barrels. The Krieghoff and the Beretta are most times just a drop in. The Browning will have to be fitted. Thanks, Eric

Start your search with the Browning Citori or Beretta 686 or 687. Both are great guns that will last dang near a lifetime and hold their value. Either has a different fit and feel so try to handle and shoot both to see which suits you best. The game you plan to shoot (Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays) will have a bearing on the exact model variation you want, ie. Barrel length, stock shape, etc.

Avoid the lesser quality, lower priced guns. While they may be OK for the occasional fun shooting 2-3 boxes of shells a year out in the backyard they will rarely hold up to the high volume most target shooters put through them.

This sums it up nicely.

Hello: Just another thought for you. If you get the Beretta with the same type of choke that you have in your 391 you won't have to buy double Briley chokes. The 682 I just got has Mobil chokes just like one of my 391's. I still may need another Briley skeet choke for skeet but I want to try the cylinder/skeet choke setup first. Thanks, Eric

how is the 625 golden clay?

The Golden Clays is exactly the same as the base model 625 in terms of mechanical durability. It's just got some stuff on the receiver and nicer wood.

In no particular order: Browning, Beretta, Blaser, Guerini, Perazzi, Krieghoff, Kolar

Those are the brands to stick to and you won't go wrong. Pick the one that fits you best, fits your budget and you like. Don't be afraid to look at a used gun.

Or better yet, take the money you would spend and buy targets and ammo instead. That'll do more to improve your shooting than a new gun.

how is the 625 golden clay?

The Golden Clays is exactly the same as the base model 625 in terms of mechanical durability. It's just got some stuff on the receiver and nicer wood.

In no particular order: Browning, Beretta, Blaser, Guerini, Perazzi, Krieghoff, Kolar

Those are the brands to stick to and you won't go wrong. Pick the one that fits you best, fits your budget and you like. Don't be afraid to look at a used gun.

Or better yet, take the money you would spend and buy targets and ammo instead. That'll do more to improve your shooting than a new gun.

Yes!

I started off with an 11-87 and shot it till I could routinely shoot a clean round. Then I bought a Citori Lightening with 30 inch barrels and a tube set. Shot that till I could break a hundred straight. Then the wars got me real busy. I still shoot that shotgun more than any other. I got rid of my 391 and shoot the Citori or an 870 when I shoot shotguns. Both will break all targets with 3/4 ounce loads if I do my part.

I shot a lot of other people's guns before I bought because I only wanted to get one. Kreighoff, Beretta, and Perazzi, along with cheaper imports. Citori Lightening shot best for me so that's what I bought.

You can't go wrong with the Browning or Beretta over-unders. Just get one that fits properly and shoot the hell out of it. I have run ten eight pound kegs of Clays thru my Citori and it still runs like a champ. Also a couple of 8 pounders of international, universal, and Lil Gun in the smaller gauge tubes. It's a great shotgun and it fit me pretty well.

I really recommend you get a 4-way adjustable stock and length of pull adjustment when you buy. That is a huge convenience when adjusting for summer vs winter clothes.

Hope this helps

-John

An aside. I bought a Bailkal 20 gauge about a year ago after I had survey. Much lighter gun was easier to shoot well during rehab. That gun is impressive, ESP for the price. It shoots very well and has proven durable with almost 8 pounds of international powder run thru it so far.

They need a little work to smooth out the action and fix that infernal auto safety. The finish is utilitarian to say the least. But it breaks targets and that's all that really matters. I have gone back to my Citori for main shooting now, but still shoot the little Russian over-under in league for fun. I suspect my sons will shoot that gun quite a bit when they come of age.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't buy a Sporting O/U until you've shot someone's Guerini. Renee and I both own Guerini Magnus guns in 12GA, and we tried LOTS of shotguns before we bought.

As long as you buy a quality gun, you'll be headed in the right direction.... However...

The BEST money you will ever spend is getting your gun PROPERLY fit by the best fitter you can find. SHooting with an improperly fitted gun will cause lower scores and encourage the formation of bad form and habits.

In my opinion, the best shotgun fitter alive today is Todd Nelson, owner of Country Gentleman Gun Fitting

He does fitting for customers at various large venues, but Renee and I chose to take a trip to Alabama and spend the day getting both guns fit. Best shotgun investment I've ever made.

Edited by cautery

i typically shoot clays on private property from a typical thrower so its not organized. i used my mossy 500's for a while, now im using an m2. but i may join a local club so i can start shooting clays more often and i was looking at an o/u for this purpose. (good thread btw cause i was going to start one myself).

what are the opinions of the Stoeger Condor? ive read some decent reviews on it.

i typically shoot clays on private property from a typical thrower so its not organized. i used my mossy 500's for a while, now im using an m2. but i may join a local club so i can start shooting clays more often and i was looking at an o/u for this purpose. (good thread btw cause i was going to start one myself).

what are the opinions of the Stoeger Condor? ive read some decent reviews on it.

Stoeger will likely not stand up to serious league shooting which involves a few thousand rounds per season. I have a Stoeger SxS for cowboy shooting. A box of 25 shells will usually get me thru a couple matches. That gun is relatively soft steel. Even with low round count firing pin bushings have been replaced, hinge and lock adjusted to account for peening wear.

Stoegers are fine for occassional use. I think you would be money ahead to buy a used browning or beretta if you are going to do much club shooting.

-John

Maybe its the economy, but for whatever reason, there are a lot of great deals on used o/u's lately.

The local Cabelas store has a used K-80 for $8800, which is a steal for a heavily optioned gun.

I've bought and sold a couple of sporting clays guns lately. But I'm sticking with my Cynergy.

The local Cabelas store has a used K-80 for $8800, which is a steal for a heavily optioned gun.

Meh, that's a bit high for a used standard grade depending on date of manufacture and barrel config. A flat rib standard grade with a 10-6 rib and Ti chokes should go for about $8K max. Pro sporter a bit more and the Parcours is too new yet to have an established value on the used market.

Edited by leftnose

Hello: There are alot of great used shotguns out there. I bought a Beretta 682 graystone with Briley tubes (410,28,20) and an Americase for $1750. It looks like a safe queen, but shoots great. You can find Krieghoff model 32's for under $3000 and they are a great gun also. If you can live with a shorter barrel 28-30" you can find some super deals since everyone is on the 32" or longer barrels. Some of these old guns are built as well as or better than some of the new ones. Do your homework and have fun finding the right shotgun for you. Thanks, Eric