Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

August - Limited "Field" Warning

benos

This one is shred's idea.

My "no serious student of shooting's library should be without it" is Ed McGivern's,
Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting. You kinda gotta weed through it, but the gems are worth it. And it has (what I'd consider) a hidden message or theme that is especially relevant to the modern day IPSC shooter. Maybe we'll save that for a trivia question...

Since then I've forgotten what I thought the hidden message was. So I speed read it again, and remembered, I think. :)

So the question(s)... For the modern day IPSC shooter, what do I think the "hidden message" is, in Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting?

And bonus question... What is the not so hidden message, that is critical for an IPSC shooter, that is layered throughout the book.

Since I haven't read it, nor can I probably read it before someone comes along with the answer you seek, I will take a guess. Based on your clues of "field" and IPSC shooting, I will venture that the hidden meaning is to not limit yourself to the specific field you see when you shoot, but be aware that the field continuously changes and you need to change with it to be effective.

The not-so-hidden message is that the proper use of sights can enable you to hit any target, at even extreme long ranges, with a pistol.

• 2 weeks later...

vision and awareness seems to be a theme (even if he uses 5000 words to say it!). Being able to see and track multiple targets in the air; the criticality of using the sights on aerial targets. Maybe that's the "not so hidden message." He talks technique, but it feels obligatory. The parts describing what you have to see read more heartfelt, and it was through those vision techniques he was able to get his students to repeat his tricks rather quickly.

I'm about 1/2 way through (reading it over the last several months, so it's been a bit 'disconnected' for me)....

-rvb

• 5 weeks later...

Since I haven't read it, nor can I probably read it before someone comes along with the answer you seek, I will take a guess. Based on your clues of "field" and IPSC shooting, I will venture that the hidden meaning is to not limit yourself to the specific field you see when you shoot, but be aware that the field continuously changes and you need to change with it to be effective.

The not-so-hidden message is that the proper use of sights can enable you to hit any target, at even extreme long ranges, with a pistol.

Since this one died a quick death, I'm going to give it to you for your second answer, which would have actually been the primary answer.

My words for his "message": The importance of perfect sight alignment cannot be overestimated.

Secondary message: Train until you can do everything subconsciously.

PM me your shipping address and I'll drop a book in the mail.