Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a specific trap load-7.8oz, Fed primers and e3

JonSnow

Hi all,

I 'm re-evaluating my trap loads and want to change my hulls and wads. I picked a terrible time to do it though, so I want to stick with my existing powder and primers. Also, I've been shooting 7/8oz lead at ~1250-1300 fps for a while now and I love the low recoil and short leads. So, does anyone have a recipe for 7/8oz high velocity with Federal primers and Alliant e3 powder? Thanks in advance.

Hello: You may want to rethink the speed of those 7/8's loads. I don't use e3 but I do use Extra-Lite. It works great for light 7/8's and 3/4 oz 12 gauge loads. I load the 7/8's load at about 1180 for the 16 yard line. I found 1oz loads work better for me and my lack of skill. You may want to look over at the Shotgun World forum. There are tons of reloading info over there. Thanks, Eric

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to this party but all the powder companies have their reloading data online. Going straight to the horse's mouth is always better than relying on third party information.

All the 7/8 oz. e3 data, straight from Alliant: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=2&powderid=20&gauge=12

Just filter by primer and then look at the different loads combinations published for 7/8oz

Edited by leftnose

• 4 months later...

For 12 ga, I load Remington STS hulls with 7/8 oz of #7.5, 17 grains of E3 and more or less any 209 primers (I use CCI) with Claybuster CB0178-12 wads, consistent loads that bust clays all day long. Nice light load, low recoil in my Beretta 391. I have loaded thousands of these, work well in my brothers 391, bro in laws over under, solid load right out of the Alliant book.