Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Green Book 9.9.1

schoonie

9.9.1 Moving targets which present at least a portion of the highest

scoring area when at rest, or which continuously appear and disappear,

will always incur failure to shoot at and/or miss penalties

(exception see Rule 9.2.4.5).

Please clarify the word continuously as it is used in this rule.

The previous rules required a minimum of 2 (two) target exposures to ensure that it was not to be scored as a no penalty disappearing target. I infer that what we have now is the moving target must stop in view for it to be a required to shoot target.

I recently built a sliding target that passed two openings before it came to a stop behind a hard cover vision barrier, is this target setup now to be scored as a disappearing target? :(

I recently built a sliding target that passed two openings before it came to a stop behind a hard cover vision barrier, is this target setup now to be scored as a disappearing target? :(

Yes.

Whether people will shoot at it will depend on how quickly it activates, moves, what else there is to shoot from that position, and how far one has to continue on to finish the stage. That said, I'm guessing that few top level shooters will pass up ten points on a regular basis.....

I recently built a sliding target that passed two openings before it came to a stop behind a hard cover vision barrier, is this target setup now to be scored as a disappearing target?

When it stops moving, is any part of the highest scoring zone still visible, or does it completely disappear?

If it is still visible, penalty-Mikes would be scored.

If it completely disappears (no matter how many times it appeared along the way), then no-penalty mikes would apply.

Bottom line (and the main thing we tried to fix from the red book) is, if the target ultimately ends up so that you *can't* shoot it, it is a disappearing target. If it still presents the opportunity to shoot it (either because it stopped with the scoring zone still visible, or kept moving so that the scoring zone keeps appearing), then you get penalized for Mikes.

Bruce

Thanks guys, I was afraid that was the intention of the new rules and I wanted to be sure.

Today's lunch discussion revealed that if a competitor had a malfunction immediately after the slider/mover was activated he or she would be penalized with mikes and FTE's and that's a little too severe! So I think that the change is for the best.