Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore v1.2 Testing

Mark R

Just curious, have you tried reporting issue to support@practiscore.com ?

Not for this specific issue. After sending an email to support on 10/30 and not getting any kind of response I figure logging stuff into Mantis is probably a better idea.

Anything specific what is wrong with Kindle or you just like iPads and Apple stuff in general?

Nothing specifically wrong but I can pair my iPad to a bluetooth keyboard and that makes data entry go faster. I haven't had luck pairing my Kindle with the same keyboard. I also have more experience with applications on the iPad than I do on the Kindle. Until recently I have only used the Kindle for reading.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, and by going the route of directly downloading the practiscore .apk file, you don't have to install google play. AndExplorer is also available as a direct download. But you don't need it if you go the dropbox route.

Generally, I don't let ANYTHING auto-update itself; I prefer to maintain control over when and how things are upgraded on my systems and devices. I have a strong preference to sitting back and letting others try out the new releases first, as I don't want to find myself caught at a match with a release that turns out to not be good.

So I go to Amazon to get dropbox for Kindle - according to Amazon page it's not compatible with my Kindle for some reason. One of the reviews talked about how to download it directly from the web so I tried that process for downloading Practiscore from their web site and it works so I will be able to install the latest version as soon as it's posted and not have to wait on Amazon to be updated.

As far as auto-updates - for apps that I have installed I don't have a problem with them updating but for my development tools (SQL Server 2012 and Visual Studio) I don't allow those to be auto updated.

Just curious, have you tried reporting issue to support@practiscore.com ?

Not for this specific issue. After sending an email to support on 10/30 and not getting any kind of response I figure logging stuff into Mantis is probably a better idea.

Right, I think I saw it and left it for other folks to reply because it was out of my domain.

The app issues is always better to report into issue tracker. Can't promise to fix them immediately, but unlike emails, they won't be lost there.

Anything specific what is wrong with Kindle or you just like iPads and Apple stuff in general?

Nothing specifically wrong but I can pair my iPad to a bluetooth keyboard and that makes data entry go faster. I haven't had luck pairing my Kindle with the same keyboard. I also have more experience with applications on the iPad than I do on the Kindle. Until recently I have only used the Kindle for reading.

I see. I presume it is better to use platform you like more and just forget about another one. At least it give you an unified experience. :)

BTW, what keyboard is that? Maybe something to check with keyboard manufacturer of search on Kindle support forums...

I see. I presume it is better to use platform you like more and just forget about another one. At least it give you an unified experience. :)

BTW, what keyboard is that? Maybe something to check with keyboard manufacturer of search on Kindle support forums...

Nah I'm a glutton for punishment so I test stuff on iPhone, iPad and Kindle. The keyboard is an apple one but that shouldn't matter unless it uses a different bluetooth version than what the Kindle supports.

I see. I presume it is better to use platform you like more and just forget about another one. ...

Well… yes! People "like" a given product, regardless of what it is, because it does what they want it to and does it well. Practiscore on an Apple iWhatever does what we want it to and does it well, especially as a master device. it's easy to match up a keyboard for those who care to register people directly into practiscore. It's able to reach out and find all other devices in a timely manner, that is, in only a few seconds. It interfaces well with an ezwinscore laptop should you desire to go that route and register in ezws, as many of us do. People are going to use what they already have. And it just works. Edited by wgnoyes

Bill,

IF I were an Apple person I'd maybe agree with you. I don't know because I am not an Applehead. Because everything I do at work is Windows/MS Everything I have at home is as well.

Nook Simple Touch works, the batteries last for weeks(months) and they are inexpensive. I can outfit a 7 stage match with Nooks for the cost of maybe to IWhatevers.

Now, are they perfect? Hell No! I would like to have a keyboard and a simpler way to connect, But I am learning. Cable is better than SDMicro and definately better than Exporter.

It may come to pass when the Classifiers are a direct send from Practiscore that I purchase some Android Hardware with a keyboard to act as the Master.

Right now, I just wish that hte output matched that of EzWinScore for posting to our website. We post All and Final both by Division and Combined. Ez allows us to save as HTML and it works very nicely. I have managed to post the output from PS, although I do need to learn how to update classifications in PS.

You mean these things?

post-2179-0-57118500-1384444783_thumb.jp

What do you think I score South River with now? :cheers:

I have a fleet of 10 of these and will be getting a few more come Black Friday so that I can properly rotate them on/off for different months. Although I'm sure they're quite capable of month after month usage, I'd like to be able to swap off 1-6 and 7-12; 7-10 never see any actual match usage, being held in reserve as immediate replacements for a failed device on a stage. (Hasn't happened yet)

Quick note for those of you who setup matches using Practiscore. Eugene informed me about this problem.

I setup a match, Timeplus points, for a 2 gun match I plan to host next weekend. I setup match, went into build stages screen, built the stages, added penalties and bonuses, then went to the add shooters screen to add divisions and classes. Once I got that far (no shooters added yet) I sync'ed my master tablet to my phone for a backup. After a day or so, I decided we weren't going to need bonuses. I attempted to go into bonuses to un-check the bonus box, but Practiscore would not allow it.

After I opened a bug with Mathis Bug tracker, Eugene informed me that once you sync the first time, the edit mode is disabled and set to scoring mode. No changes can be made to anything other than adding/editing shooters.

Bottom line, don't snyc until you are ready to go into Scoring mode. I didn't know that!

Quick note for those of you who setup matches using Practiscore. Eugene informed me about this problem.

I setup a match, Timeplus points, for a 2 gun match I plan to host next weekend. I setup match, went into build stages screen, built the stages, added penalties and bonuses, then went to the add shooters screen to add divisions and classes. Once I got that far (no shooters added yet) I sync'ed my master tablet to my phone for a backup. After a day or so, I decided we weren't going to need bonuses. I attempted to go into bonuses to un-check the bonus box, but Practiscore would not allow it.

After I opened a bug with Mathis Bug tracker, Eugene informed me that once you sync the first time, the edit mode is disabled and set to scoring mode. No changes can be made to anything other than adding/editing shooters.

Bottom line, don't snyc until you are ready to go into Scoring mode. I didn't know that!

Yea, which is *really* annoying. It shouldn't go into scoring mode until a score has been entered, for EXACTLY this reason.

Yea, which is *really* annoying. It shouldn't go into scoring mode until a score has been entered, for EXACTLY this reason.

The thing is, after match been synced or exported to other devices the original master device have no way of knowing if scores hasn't been entered on any of the slaves...

Anyhow I believe ios version works the same way and it been like that since before my time. The match mode is also shown on the match editing screen.

The thing is, after match been synced or exported to other devices the original master device have no way of knowing if scores hasn't been entered on any of the slaves...

Anyhow I believe ios version works the same way and it been like that since before my time. The match mode is also shown on the match editing screen.

That doesn't make it any less annoying. If it wants to put itself in Score mode after a sync, there should be a way for me to override it. I don't mind it warning me, or having to take an additional action to put back in Edit mode, but when it *thwarts* me, then I have a problem with it.

There isn't really anything to warn about. But when app receive match to sync with different configuration we wont have any choice to reject it because there is no way to merge it then. I suspect you will be much more annoyed when that happen...

Anyhow, feel free to email your concerns to support@practiscore.com

If I am not mistaken, for android app you can export match to *.psc, delete it and then import back, then it will switch to the editing mode. Though I can be wrong about that, haven't really touched that part of the app.

Oh, while we are talking about annoying things...

What annoys me is that recent rooting packages for Nooks don't have an email app packaged. Given a very limited help we are getting from community with testing new builds that essentially cuts of possibility for practiscore users to report app crashes back to us.

Oh, while we are talking about annoying things...

What annoys me is that recent rooting packages for Nooks don't have an email app packaged. Given a very limited help we are getting from community with testing new builds that essentially cuts of possibility for practiscore users to report app crashes back to us.

I can look at adding an email package to Root'n-Score-It. I never bothered to consider it because it's such a PITA to compose an email on a NOOK that I don't really believe anyone DOES.

Are you using it as a transport agent to report a crash file back with? If so, why not push it straight to practiscore.com using HTTP?

"Given a very limited help we are getting from community with testing new builds..." That's a pretty audacious statement. You get LOTS of feedback, both here (which I don't agree with), support@practiscore.com, and Mantis. I'd like to see some numbers on how much bug reporting is really missing based on lack of an email client on the single platform that makes email composition the most difficult.

Are you using it as a transport agent to report a crash file back with? If so, why not push it straight to practiscore.com using HTTP?

Emails go to support@practiscore.com about pushing them to practiscore.com, I dunno, but that will require some additional infrastructure. Quite often we need additional information to be able to reproduce crash.

"Given a very limited help we are getting from community with testing new builds..." That's a pretty audacious statement. You get LOTS of feedback, both here (which I don't agree with), support@practiscore.com, and Mantis. I'd like to see some numbers on how much bug reporting is really missing based on lack of an email client on the single platform that makes email composition the most difficult.

You are referring to issues being discovered in released versions.

It is a harsh truth, but besides our own hands we can't rely on community help to test builds before they are posted to the public. We tried to gather some people willing to do that, but unfortunately that didn't quite work...

It is a harsh truth, but besides our own hands we can't rely on community help to test builds before they are posted to the public. We tried to gather some people willing to do that, but unfortunately that didn't quite work...

Sign me up. I'll test android and iOS versions.

I got one or two betas for 1.2.0 way back in July, and haven't seen any test versions since. I replied to a separate request for testers from Ken for the iOS version, and haven't heard anything back on that, but there also hasn't been as far as I know any more versions since 1.5.10.

Typing ANY sort of a text on a nook is a pain, so just a plain email app probably won't get much in the way of results. Now if practiscore just uses the available email pipeline to fill in the receiving email addr/subject/etc and just ships it without the end user having to do anything, that would be a different matter. But to your credit, Eugene, (Duck! Here come the flying pigs!) I haven't heard yet of practiscore actually crashing on a nook at any of my matches.

Edited by wgnoyes

But to your credit, Eugene, (Duck! Here come the flying pigs!) I haven't heard yet of practiscore actually crashing on a nook at any of my matches.

Bull, you should give credit not to me, but to all people who field-tested it before you.