Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore v1.2 Testing

Mark R

We've been running ours using a Buffalo WMR-300 portable, WEP secured. During weekly practice matches indoors it's plugged into a 120v adapter. For outdoor matches, I carry it around with a USB battery and sync the individual stage devices up to a master. We've got Nooks, Kindle Fires, android phones, and iPhones all recognizing the other devices on the sync page.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HELP! I have posted this tot he bug finder, but need help. 1.2.8 apparently has the correct scores but when I exported them to EzWinScore so I can post them, all but the classifier is screwed up. Every stage added 2-4 hits! Round counts are correct as far as the stage descriptions, but the actual round in the score are off by up to 4 hits.

Which practiscore facility are you using to actually export the data. That which is built into the program, or the windows "practiscore app exporter" utility, which just accesses the ps device over wireless and pulls in the various .txt files from the current selected match?

Bill,

This moring I was able to email the resultes to myself. they are correct. the scores I downloaded to Ez were done by the Sync Export Functions. Export Match Registration and Export Match Stages & Scores.

For the record, thi soften takes multiple attemps to work. I get an empty file exported and while doinghte same thing over an dover and expecting different results is the definition of insanity, in this case 5-6x seems to work.

With the emailed results I may be able to send thise files up to our website to post the scores.

What would be really nice would be to have a save as .txt and save as .html function that matches the output from Ez.

Well, you're doing this on a nook, which I don't usually do. My master is always an iOS device, for reasons I've discussed elsewhere.

I'm not sure how you're emailing anything, email and browsers are often broken in many nook rooting schemes.

Regardless, I went into one of mine, tapped sync, tapped 'export match registration' and then tapped 'share' to write the reg.txt file to a dropbox folder. I did the same thing with 'export match stages & scores'. I have NEVER experienced the issue of receiving an empty .txt file, regardless of the version/release of PS. You obviously have to have dropbox set up on your nooks (HIGHLY recommended, especially as it facilitates upgrading the version of ps as new ones come out), and you have to have a microsd card installed in the device. I just went out and bought enough cheap microsd cards (<$5 each, more like $3) that I could install one in each nook and just leave it there; I don't like trying to handle those tiny little chips, insert, eject, insert, eject, eventually wear out the mechanical click socket mechanism of the nook. Nope, just buy some, insert them once and leave them there.

The other method if you don't want to do dropbox is on the export options tap on 'save to sd card'. (Again, you need the microsd card resident in the nook.) The nook tells you where on the card the output file is located. (On mine, it is /sdcard/PractiScore/EzWinScore.) Then you can either eject the card and insert it into an adapter to plug into your ezws computer as a usb device, or just (preferred) leave the card in place and plug the nook into windows with the supplied usb cable and get the files through windows file manager. (A nook with a resident microsd card appears as two separate external drives to windows.)

You can't really reliably use the windows Practiscore Exporter for EzWinScore to pull data from a nook if your match is of any decent size. The nook just simply doesn't have enough ass to it to respond to the windows utility fast enough to suit it. (Works fine when the sending practiscore device is an apple anything.) You're better off with one of the other two methods I've documented here. They absolutely work.

Edited by wgnoyes

Bill, I have a card and save to the card. I was trying to read the card in my PC, but I found using a cable works much better. The problem I reported apparently has/had to do with the export function. It was doubling the steel count. 1.2.9 is supposed to fix this. just waiting for it to be posted. Will see how it works.

Discovered a bug in 1.2.9 this weekend using Nooks. I already opened a bug report on Mantis Bug Tracker.

Built a stage with 24 targets and 2 steel. All targets required 1 hit on each target. When scoring on page 2 of target list, the bottom target is number 21. Scroll down to next page using side buttons and the next target on top is number 23. If you look close, T22 is a very small line across top of page, careful press and you can get a value in one of the fields, but you can't see the value/fields. All you know if that the color scheme changes indicating data in one of the fields.

Without data on T22, Practiscore would not allow you to exit scoring. At start of match, the first squad requested my presences to fix their problem and that's when I discovered the issue. Normally you won't have over 16 targets (32 rounds), but when only 1 required on targets, this happens.

Edited by Mark R

If it's regular android, you can download the latest directly from practiscore.com and then use whatever file manager the kindle has to tap on and install that version. (Note: I'm GUESSING that amazon's version of android will let you do this!)

If it's regular android, you can download the latest directly from practiscore.com and then use whatever file manager the kindle has to tap on and install that version. (Note: I'm GUESSING that amazon's version of android will let you do this!)

Bill is correct. If you enable non-market apps in the Settings configuration, you can download whatever version you like. For the first couple matches we did, we used my wife's Kindle Fire with no issues.

Just point the browser to Practiscore.com to get the latest, or you can load a file manager such as AndExplorer (free and very good), connect the Fire to the PC, copy the file over, the browse to it in AndExplorer and install it (this would let you install any version you like, and I have copies of just about every version. Email/PM me if you want a specific version). And yes, Bill, that's propeller-heady :)

Edited by jcwren

Discovered a bug in 1.2.9 this weekend using Nooks. I already opened a bug report on Mantis Bug Tracker.

Built a stage with 24 targets and 2 steel. All targets required 1 hit on each target. When scoring on page 2 of target list, the bottom target is number 21. Scroll down to next page using side buttons and the next target on top is number 23. If you look close, T22 is a very small line across top of page, careful press and you can get a value in one of the fields, but you can't see the value/fields. All you know if that the color scheme changes indicating data in one of the fields.

Without data on T22, Practiscore would not allow you to exit scoring. At start of match, the first squad requested my presences to fix their problem and that's when I discovered the issue. Normally you won't have over 16 targets (32 rounds), but when only 1 required on targets, this happens.

What's surprising about this is that since everything except the NOOK (or more correctly, any e-Ink display-based device) supports smooth scrolling, you shouldn't see this issue.

The NOOKs required a special fix so that when you paged down, T13 wasn't split across page 1 and page 2.

I just turned on the Kindle and it shows that 1.2.9 was installed this afternoon. Unfortunately I can't find AndExplorer on Amazon. I'm starting to dislike this Kindle. If the iPad version supported Steel Challenge I'd just use that. Thanks for the advice.

Bill: I know it's months away but it will be here before you know it. I'd be happy to assist with scoring during the Area 6 match. I assume the RO's would shoot on Friday?

I did some checking this morning and it's more trouble than it's worth, IMO. You first have to root the Kindle and then you can manually install Google Play on it. If you guys need a beta tester for the iOS version I'd be happy to help with that and will just stick to what's available from Amazon for the Kindle.

You may need to root the Kindle to install Google Play, but you certainly don't need to root it to install Practiscore. You can download Practiscore in the browser, and install it from there. Or you could install Dropbox, put whichever version of PS in Dropbox from the PC, then use Dropbox on the Kindle to install it. I have most every version of Practiscore, so tell me which one(s) you want, and I'll get it to you.

Specifically, the direct link to download the .apk (android package?) file is http://practiscore.com/android.php?version=latest

I recommend the dropbox setup. Once you get that going, it's nothing to download the latest .apk file, stick it into dropbox, and then access it directly from the kindle/ nook/ whatever simply by tapping on the filename.

You may need to root the Kindle to install Google Play, but you certainly don't need to root it to install Practiscore. You can download Practiscore in the browser, and install it from there. Or you could install Dropbox, put whichever version of PS in Dropbox from the PC, then use Dropbox on the Kindle to install it. I have most every version of Practiscore, so tell me which one(s) you want, and I'll get it to you.

Understand about not having to root the kindle to install Practiscore I was talking about having to root it to install Google Play to get the AndExplorer app. I will setup dropbox tonight and give that a go. I have 1.2.9 installed on the Kindle which is the latest version shown on the Practiscore web site.

Yes, and by going the route of directly downloading the practiscore .apk file, you don't have to install google play. AndExplorer is also available as a direct download. But you don't need it if you go the dropbox route.

Generally, I don't let ANYTHING auto-update itself; I prefer to maintain control over when and how things are upgraded on my systems and devices. I have a strong preference to sitting back and letting others try out the new releases first, as I don't want to find myself caught at a match with a release that turns out to not be good.

Found one thing that REALLY sucks about using a Kindle Fire - Amazon only has 1.2.7 available for downloading :(.

Just curious, have you tried reporting issue to support@practiscore.com ?

...I'm starting to dislike this Kindle. If the iPad version supported Steel Challenge I'd just use that...

Anything specific what is wrong with Kindle or you just like iPads and Apple stuff in general?