Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQd today and never thought I would be the "one"

awmp

It’s happens to the best of us. I had an embarrassing situation the other day at a tactical handgun class where the RO said make ready and then got distracted talking to a student. I went back to “dry firing” but in reality I fired a shot. Luckily it was right through the alpha zone. Getting embarrassed on the range is a great way to learn from our mistakes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is an interesting topic - I watched an MD get DQ’d by a high school RO a couple weeks ago. MD was fine with it, but a quote stuck with me.

”There are two shooters in this sport, those who have DQ’d and those who will”

I do my best to think through how I’m going to do *everything* but I still wonder if/when the time will come.

1 hour ago, Rosswoodford said:

a quote stuck with me.

”There are two shooters in this sport, those who have DQ’d and those who will”

There are thousands of shooters who would probably argue that. Nothing says we are destined to DQ in our lifetime in competition. That being said, I could DQ tomorrow. :goof:

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

There are thousands of shooters who would probably argue that. Nothing says we are destined to DQ in our lifetime in competition. That being said, I could DQ tomorrow. :goof:

I don’t disagree with you, but I tend to think the point was it can happen to anyone.

11 minutes ago, Rosswoodford said:

I don’t disagree with you, but I tend to think the point was it can happen to anyone.

It CAN happen to anyone but it WON'T happen to everyone. I hear you though.

On 6/22/2018 at 5:06 AM, Dpolk said:

It’s not s matter of if a shooter will be DQ but when. I got DQ for ND because I had just done some trigger work and had an issue and on tap rack it went off, funny thing is the round hit the target I was engaging but they said unsafe gun as well as ND. They said unsafe gun because my finger was nowhere near the trigger. Oh well such is life. 

At least in IPSC this would NOT have been a DQ. "All firearms must be serviceable and safe".

In an event where the gun goes off by itself, the shooter must inform the officials immediately and give the firearm for inspection.

If the said shot WAS the fault of the firearm, no DQ and the competitor and attempt to fix the firearm. If the gun can't be fixed, it is unserviceable and unsafe -> new gun or go home.

If the shot was NOT the fault of the firearm -> DQ.

4 hours ago, perttime said:

In IPSC, if it is confirmed that a faulty firearm caused the AD, you get zero score for that stage - and a chance to fix the gun.

That seems odd. The gun going off is not your fault but it’s still your fault enough to zero you on a stage? Seems you should get a reshoot using such logic.

BUT, for the record, I prefer the USPSA version of the rules in this case. A gun firing by itself is more unsafe than you firing it by accident. It makes no sense for it to be “OK” .

14 minutes ago, Sarge said:

That seems odd. The gun going off is not your fault but it’s still your fault enough to zero you on a stage? Seems you should get a reshoot using such logic.

BUT, for the record, I prefer the USPSA version of the rules in this case. A gun firing by itself is more unsafe than you firing it by accident. It makes no sense for it to be “OK” .

I don't know the justification - but IPSC is the game available to me and that is the rules:

10.4.8 In this Section, if it can be established that the cause of the discharge is due to a broken or defective part of the firearm, the competitor has not committed any safety infraction in this Section, and a disqualification will not be invoked, but the competitor's scores for that stage will be zero.

10.4.8.1 The firearm must be immediately presented for inspection to the Range Master or his delegate, who will inspect the firearm and carry out any tests necessary to establish that a broken or defective part caused the discharge. A competitor may not later appeal a disqualification for an accidental discharge due to a broken or defective part if they fail to present the firearm for inspection prior to leaving the course of fire.

14 hours ago, Sarge said:

Probably in a vast majority of cases, the stage will be zero anyways due to misses and FTE's so no point to count the hits for everyone for the benefit of just a few others.

• 2 weeks later...

First DQ at last Sunday’s Match . Was a pretty clever stage and the creator warned us not only in the  the safety briefing , but right before we started the stage as well . I was first shooter......had a total brain fart..foot way over fault line to reach a target......STOP....DQ........I was flabbergasted....how could I be so stupid after specifically being warned!!

Anyway..wound up running the rest of the squad through remaining stages and pasting ..picking up steel......wasn’t doing anything anyway!!

Hopefully lesson learned........some comfort in knowing 8 shooters were DQ on this stage.....

2 minutes ago, TANFARM said:

First DQ at last Sunday’s Match . Was a pretty clever stage and the creator warned us not only in the  the safety briefing , but right before we started the stage as well . I was first shooter......had a total brain fart..foot way over fault line to reach a target......STOP....DQ........I was flabbergasted....how could I be so stupid after specifically being warned!!

Anyway..wound up running the rest of the squad through remaining stages and pasting ..picking up steel......wasn’t doing anything anyway!!

Hopefully lesson learned........some comfort in knowing 8 shooters were DQ on this stage.....

Can you elaborate? Foot fault got you a DQ? 

• 2 weeks later...

Got DQ'd for drawing in a Cooper Tunnel.

Missed the pre match meeting because RO asked me to move my truck to give more room for people to walk.

They also did not go over it in the stage breifing because I guess they went over it in prematch meeting.

Hell I had never even saw a Cooper Tunnel and thought it would be much safer to draw once in position. 

Oh well, no biggy. 

Safety first regardless! 

1 hour ago, Broncman said:

Got DQ'd for drawing in a Cooper Tunnel.

Missed the pre match meeting because RO asked me to move my truck to give more room for people to walk.

They also did not go over it in the stage breifing because I guess they went over it in prematch meeting.

Hell I had never even saw a Cooper Tunnel and thought it would be much safer to draw once in position. 

Oh well, no biggy. 

Safety first regardless! 

It’s in the rules. Rules are not generally rehashed in shooters meetings or WSB’s

1 hour ago, Broncman said:

Oh well, no biggy. 

Safety first regardless! 

Great attitude. 

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

It’s in the rules.

A first time shooter made a comment to me at my last match "on you tube I can find all kinds of videos of people shooting matches but couldn't find anything that would help me prepare for shooting a match". 

I think we are crazy for not having USPSA rules videos and courses. It just would not be that hard or that expensive. 

• 3 weeks later...

Was at the USPSA Nationals in the mid '80's.  Gearing up in the safety area and up walks a well known national champion/trainer.  I moved to give him room and he proceeds to do a practice mag change.  I asked "@#$% what are you doing" he turned pale "oh $@!t" looked sheepish. packed up and left.  Anyone can have a moment.  I never said anything and he finished fine, but no win that year.

The above video should be required viewing!!!!

Edited by pskys2