Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQd today and never thought I would be the "one"

awmp

2 minutes ago, Bench said:

...and that's one you will never forget...

Absolutely, have not been DQ since then fortunately knock on wood. that was a learning opportunity I will not take for granted 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Dpolk said:

Absolutely, have not been DQ since then fortunately knock on wood. that was a learning opportunity I will not take for granted 

That's the one that a RO just can't avoid calling on a new shooter...

1 hour ago, Bench said:

That's the one that a RO just can't avoid calling on a new shooter...

New shooter or old it can happen to anyone, the RO was totally in the right. 

On 6/21/2018 at 10:06 PM, Dpolk said:

It’s not s matter of if a shooter will be DQ but when. I got DQ for ND because I had just done some trigger work and had an issue and on tap rack it went off, funny thing is the round hit the target I was engaging but they said unsafe gun as well as ND. They said unsafe gun because my finger was nowhere near the trigger. Oh well such is life. 

So every shooter that has, is now or will shoot USPSA will DQ at some time? Really?

"It’s not s matter of if a shooter will be DQ but when."

I hear this all the time. It makes me so nervous that I want to DQ just to get it over with.....Nah, just foolin. :devil:

On 6/21/2018 at 10:06 PM, Dpolk said:

It’s not s matter of if a shooter will be DQ but when. I got DQ for ND because I had just done some trigger work and had an issue and on tap rack it went off, funny thing is the round hit the target I was engaging but they said unsafe gun as well as ND. They said unsafe gun because my finger was nowhere near the trigger. Oh well such is life. 

I don't agree. I know of people who have shot this sport for many years and have not had a DQ. Not saying that they never will have one, but 99.9999% of all DQ's are avoidable. Yours could have been avoided by having a correctly functioning trigger. About the only unavoidable DQ I can think of (and I have seen it in person) is having a case head separation or detonation and dropping the gun as a result...and even that can be avoided 99.99% of the time by using good reloading practices and good components.

22 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

I don't agree. I know of people who have shot this sport for many years and have not had a DQ. Not saying that they never will have one, but 99.9999% of all DQ's are avoidable. Yours could have been avoided by having a correctly functioning trigger. About the only unavoidable DQ I can think of (and I have seen it in person) is having a case head separation or detonation and dropping the gun as a result...and even that can be avoided 99.99% of the time by using good reloading practices and good components.

As already addressed the first sentence was a saying not a literal statement. I hear ROs say it almost every match, I simply forgot quotations.  As for the second part I agree it was avoidable, as are most. The issue with the trigger was addressed and never had another issue. I try to be as cautious and aware as possible, but the trigger issue is just one of those things that happens. I shot hundreds of rounds in practice without issue but as stayed if it’s going to happen luck will have it it’s going to be at a match rather than at home in practice. I appreciate the advise on reloading practice though. I use a Dillon 650 and check every round I take to a match in a case checker. 

18 hours ago, Dpolk said:

It’s a saying not literal

Words mean things.

It is possible a shooter will DQ, just like it is possible ( fill in the blank).

To give the impression that, like death and taxes, it is inevitable and unavoidable is simply wrong.

Yes we can argue semantics. Or we can accept the moral of the fable is intended as don't be complacent, yes, it can happen to you. Maybe the use of will is overstating it.

There are many people who go their whole shooting careers without a DQ or similar infraction. No argument. Good on 'em. But I've also seen top level GM guys at Majors go down for the all the usual reasons. 

On 6/21/2018 at 9:06 PM, Dpolk said:

I guess after this has been attacked I must explain... I forgot the quotation marks around the first sentence it is what was said to me by the RO when I got DQ and I have heard it by many other ROs and shooters. I apologize to those who were offended by what was said, this was supposed to be a fun post. It was not meant as a literal statement saying everyone will be DQ at some point. 

1 hour ago, Dpolk said:

I guess after this has been attacked I must explain... I forgot the quotation marks around the first sentence it is what was said to me by the RO when I got DQ and I have heard it by many other ROs and shooters. I apologize to those who were offended by what was said, this was supposed to be a fun post. It was not meant as a literal statement saying everyone will be DQ at some point. 

You're OK man. Don't sweat it. It is just a way of making shooters feel better when they DQ. Telling them it will eventually happen to everybody makes them feel better. In fact, even though there are frequent DQ's, out of the many thousands of shooters competing virtually every weekend in the country, the vast majority do not DQ and likely never will. I also think we need to be careful about making new shooters feel like it's almost acceptable to DQ by saying, "Don't worry about it, It happens to everybody eventually". They probably should be made to feel like they made a huge mistake and should focus on never letting it happen again.

1 hour ago, Dpolk said:

It was not meant as a literal statement saying everyone will be DQ at some point. 

You should have probably added "if they push hard enough to make it past B class" at the end. 

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Anybody ever made it to GM without a dq along the way? 

I don't have the facts to prove this but I bet many make GM without a DQ and are you saying you have to push the edge of safety to make GM?

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

You should have probably added "if they push hard enough to make it past B class" at the end. 

I am only a B Shooter in Revolver and in Open using a revolver. It is funny I have never felt the need to push the safety limits just to get out of B class. Maybe I should practice more of being unsafe and I will finally attain A class at the cost of injuring myself or others. Boy my mom would be proud of me then. ✌️

I guess I should have told the new shooter this weekend that safety is second to attaining a classification above B class so just work on speed and accuracy and forget the safety rules that might get you DQ'd, hurt or hurt someone else. I am so glad these forums provide so much knowledge to pass on. ?

I think we have all seen a shooter shooting on the edge or out of control trying to hang with the speed of a M or GM in their squad. Trying to hard. Instead of just executing. Sure, some of the DQs we see come from that... someone who's running on the ragged edge of control.

Should they do it? No. Absolutely not. 

They should put in the hours of practice, shoot safely, and at their level of capability. Not try to make up years of practice in 15 seconds.

No one is advocating people shoot unsafely to advance (at least I hope not)….  but we have all witnessed the behavior.

20 minutes ago, revoman said:

I don't have the facts to prove this but I bet many make GM without a DQ and are you saying you have to push the edge of safety to make GM?

Every GM & M that I know personally has stories to tell about times that they have dq'd , the pro's that I've seen write about dq's have also related things that went wrong, I think Jerry Miculek has a u-tube video out there that says something like "I've dq'd 10 times and I am not proud of a single one of them" which seems sort of typical. 

If there is anyone who has ever made it to GM without a dq that would be an interesting thing to learn about. Not saying it has never happened just saying I have never heard of it. 

29 minutes ago, revoman said:

I am only a B Shooter in Revolver and in Open using a revolver. It is funny I have never felt the need to push the safety limits just to get out of B class. Maybe I should practice more of being unsafe and I will finally attain A class at the cost of injuring myself or others. Boy my mom would be proud of me then. ✌️

I guess I should have told the new shooter this weekend that safety is second to attaining a classification above B class so just work on speed and accuracy and forget the safety rules that might get you DQ'd, hurt or hurt someone else. I am so glad these forums provide so much knowledge to pass on. ?

Lots of roughage at least once a day can be a great thing!

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, HalfBastard said:

Ben Stoeger claims that he has never been DQed, for what it’s worth. I believe he talked about it on an episode of his podcast. 

I wondered about him actually.

He also said that he made master at his first IDPA match & GM on his first USPSA classification card (SKILLS & DRILLS , book intro page vii). Interesting individual. 

On 8/5/2017 at 11:13 PM, TA338 said:

There are two kinds of action shooters: Those that have been DQ'd and those that will be DQ'd at a later date.

Suck it up and move on.

Lähetetty minun D5503 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

+1 

10 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

There are two kinds of action shooters: Those that have been DQ'd and those that will be DQ'd at a later date.

Suck it up and move on.

Lähetetty minun D5503 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

10 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

+1 

That is like saying that if you get married you will eventually divorce or if you drink beer you will get eventually get Cirrhosis and the list goes on an on. In my opinion it is a lame  saying and not good to tell new shooters as they then get the idea it is okay to push the edge of safety to become better.

I been playing this game since 84 and IDPA since about 97. I only been DQ'ed 1 time in IPSC. The lock broke on 011 speed holster loaded gun hit the ground. It happened and I moved on