Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQd today and never thought I would be the "one"

awmp

Shooting a local IDPA match today and after many many years of shooting I was DQd today, a first.

It was an indoor, low light (very low light only a small lamp on). You are sitting reading your favorite gun mag with your pistol on the the table with your flashlight on the table as well.

The timer goes off and from the seated postion you engage two bad guys and the third has your wife hostage. Again all from a seated postion.

Then you have to get up and go back wards around your chair and move to a hallway.

Yeap going backwards got me, DQ for muzzle.

Was only the third person up to shoot on the stage with many on lookers. I shoot all As using my light but had the walk of shame, embarrasement and humiliation.

Did not help the way the SO announced it to all several times, not a good day on the range.

But 100% my fault.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those who have been, those who will be.

Stop at DQ on the way home and get a Blizzard.

When I sent a text to my wife to tell her I would be home early because of being DQd, she said she could not figure out why DQ would cause me to be home early, if anything she thought it would cause me to be home late, the Blizzard at DQ was her thought, too funny

While that really stinks when it happens to you, i saw two guys get DQ'd at a match last month. Both had flashes of lack of thought because they were trying to rush. One of them even swept us with his loaded pistol. One of the things I like about the matches is the no BS rule towards DQ'ing for mistakes or dangerous situations.

Sorry it happened to you, but I am glad the RO's are there trying to keep us safe.

• 3 years later...
On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2013 at 8:11 AM, awmp said:

When I sent a text to my wife to tell her I would be home early because of being DQd, she said she could not figure out why DQ would cause me to be home early, if anything she thought it would cause me to be home late, the Blizzard at DQ was her thought, too funny

Its generally good form to stay and continue to help paste/reset, even after a DQ.  Earns a ton of respect.  With that, sorry it happened.  Bet you never forget it.

• 3 weeks later...

Shot a local match today. I tripped over 1"x1" wood lane outline in a flat sprint (it hooked my left toe). I got full horizontal in the air before landing flat on my side. Tactical yardsale of mags and gun, holster packed with dirt and gravel. DQ. Shit happens; too much ass, not enough talent. 

9 hours ago, TA338 said:

There are two kinds of action shooters: Those that have been DQ'd and those that will be DQ'd at a later date.

This is the most redundant statement that is used in this forum that is about as far from the truth as it can get.

Does DQ happen? Yes 

Will it happen to all that shoot? No

If a poll was taken on all that have competed both active and no longer competing I would say the number of DQ's would be small in comparison to the the number who have not. 

If you take the statement above and apply it to the logic that is behind it (I am not referencing this response to TA338 but to the statement as a whole as it appears in numerous posts) then all who have competed would have been DQ'd at least once and the poll would show 100%.

Then the problem would be how safe is our sport if that is norm?

Edited by revoman

DQs help prevent mistakes from getting worse and enforce safety, so I would say the sport is very safe, not despite, but because of DQs.

I think the statement referenced above is more about ANYONE can DQ.... not that they will, but it can happen to anyone, so be careful, and aware. Even GM's at Majors DQ. Be humble.

Blizzards are nice but when I got my one DQ, the DQ club wasn't open yet. I make my bad mistakes early. 3rd shooter on stage 1 of 10 stages. Step right, take 3 paper through a port, start moving left. Stumble in sand, clench up, and sent one into the berm. I did have the gun straight down range, just tightened up and finger slipped back into trigger guard. Ultimate A-hole feeling there. 

However, since then every video I have watched of myself after breaking a shot that finger jumps out and way up on the frame. The hard taught lessons are the ones we remember. 

Hate it happened to you but I imagine it will be a long time before you let the muzzle get close to the 180. Glad to hear you took responsibility and took it in stride. I've seen guys get DQ'ed and then get pissy when it was clearly their fault. Most RO's hate to DQ anyone but it's their responsibility to ensure safety for everyone. 

Don't let it get you down. 

Shooting sports is one of safest sports there is and I feel very safe in IPSC competitions because everybody is paying attention to gun safety. Still DQs do happen when people shoot against the clock while moving very fast through the stage.

Lähetetty minun D5503 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

• 2 months later...

I had to DQ a guy for the first time today as an RO. I felt just as bad as he did. From rangerguy

I had this exact thing happen to me as a new RO. I felt more terrible than the shooter. But then my RO mentor took me aside and reinforced the good decision I made. The shooter broke 180 and could have hurt someone in the process. DQing him taught the lesson he needed and helped me become a better RO.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/27/2013 at 10:45 PM, awmp said:

Was only the third person up to shoot on the stage with many on lookers. I shoot all As using my light but had the walk of shame, embarrasement and humiliation.

Did not help the way the SO announced it to all several times, not a good day on the range.

If somebody getting dq'd is a big deal & a notable occurrence, then your local s.o.'s are doing a very very bad job following safety rules.

No slight intended, but if dq's almost never happen it is not because the local shooters are more highly skilled than the rest of the world. 

I've been DQ'd once because I had some dead rounds of 9mm in my pistol case when I was setting up in the safe area. Now I make it a rule to never have any type of ammo (live, dead, snap caps) in my pistol case!

I've also seen a few people get DQ'd because they drew their pistol in make ready facing up range with an up range start, and I've actually seen people draw their pistols before turning in an upstage start. Live and learn!

4 hours ago, touji said:

I've also seen a few people get DQ'd because they drew their pistol in make ready facing up range with an up range start, and I've actually seen people draw their pistols before turning in an upstage start. Live and learn!

I've stopped several shooters for the same things. Sketchy!