Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lube - in a spray bottle

Anyone use a little spray bottle for lube?

A new shooter (like me) had a little trouble with his rifle during a stage and the RO told him to lube it a little more seemed to have burned off the lube on the bolt. Cleaning my rifle after a little practice this weekend I wondered if my spray bottle for cleaner would be a good idea for lube. Bolt gets a little slow just pull out the carrier group and spray a little mist on both sides and put it back in. Could probably do the same for semi shotguns if they needed a little lube.

Good idea? bad idea? back to the drawing board?

If your firearms are properly prepared and maintained before a match, you will be able to go a minimum of 500 rounds on a good firearm before anything needs more lube. But I do carry it for people who don't maintain their guns.

Grease the moving parts, and the sears, oil the bolts. If you do a search you will find there are a LOTS of threads on the subject here on Enos.

If your lube burned off, it's not a good lube. Sprays don't put enough lubricant down, and it will be thin in order to be sprayed. A small bottle to dispense lube is best. It allows you to squirt some oil into the holes in the bolt carrier and get some on the gas rings without disassembly.

I use a needle bottle with a screw on tip. It won't leak in my bag and its great for dropping a few drips in your shotgun or rifle without having to disassemble it.

I think Brownells or Midway sells them. If your interested shoot me a PM and ill try to find a link or the exact name.

Craig N

BreakFree has come in a 16 ounce spray bottle for at least the last 20 years. It's what we use on M240, M249, etc. doesn't burn off either. Just gets dirty.

I use the little needle oiler from brownells filled with Mobil 1 for game guns. And slide glide lite where grease is needed.

Your idea is valid and validates over many deployments with crew served weapons. Seems a bit overkill for individual weapons tho.

-John

Craig N

BreakFree has come in a 16 ounce spray bottle for at least the last 20 years. It's what we use on M240, M249, etc. doesn't burn off either. Just gets dirty.

I use the little needle oiler from brownells filled with Mobil 1 for game guns. And slide glide lite where grease is needed.

Your idea is valid and validates over many deployments with crew served weapons. Seems a bit overkill for individual weapons tho.

-John

I got some aerosol Breakfree in my cleaning box. I may just stick in my truck bag in case of.

• 2 weeks later...

what are you using for lube? A light, thin oil that is aerosolized is not ideal, as you are finding. There are many excellent lubricants out there from mobil 1 syn through TWB25 and a number of others, but Rem oil, CLP, etc, isn't where I would start.

One small bottle of FIREClean has lasted me a year, and it is still half full.

About 3-4 drops will clean and lube an AR. Two drops usually gets my Benelli cleaned and lubed. I generally only clean my guns right before a major match, so practice and local matches I just run dirty guns, but they are still well lubed from the previous cleaning. Every once in a while I'll add another 2 drops of FIREClean to the AR bolt between major matches, but it really doesn't need any more than that.