Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is my 1911 so heavy?

52 oz EMPTY!!!!! Weighed on a postal scale. Could that be right????? I need to cut weight. Where is the best place to start, and how the hell am I going to lose 10 ounces?

It a STI Duty One in .45acp

Wilson Combat Hammer, RFO front sight, fully adjustable blade type rear sight, S&A Magwell, factory 30 lpi front strap checkering, ambi safeties, VZ alien grips, and FLGR

1354325882686_zpsafb783d7.jpg

Edited by waynes_world_45

That big, chunky dust cover adds a bunch of weight over a typical 1911.

^^^this

+1

However, I bet your scale is off. If that's correct, then you have one helluva solid gun.

To lower weight, if it has a guiderod, you could go to the old non-guiderod style. You could go alloy with the backstrap and magwell, or ditch the magwell altogether. Then... good luck with the other 8oz!

That 37.2 oz. is without empty mag inserted & no SA magwell. Weigh the gun, then weigh the empty mag. Remember you only have 5.8 oz. to play with to be 43 oz. or lighter. I'd also have it checked on a different scale. I don't think an empty mag & SA magwell equals 14.8 oz.

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently lost 35 pounds, but there's no scale in my house....I always weigh at work

I weighed it originally on a buddy's analog meat scale.

I just bought a digital scale from BB&B and weighed it again.

It took so long because I really didn't have time to go to BB&B and I'll be damned if I was going to send my wife....I try to keep her out of those kind of places...her eyes roll back in her head and she goes into this kind of trance and money becomes no object...."must buy more useless kitchen junk"......