Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ankle impingement anyone?

h4444

Anybody here with ankle impingement(s) that have tried or use a hinged AFO with a UCB insert?

How's it working for you?

I'm currently using ACOR posted UCB orthotics and the impingement in the right ankle is pretty much squared away. The left side, not so much. My left side is far worse than my right side.

The left ankle starts hurting like heck after being on my feet a little while, which is an improvement thanks to the Acor UCB's.

My ortho says the next step, is to try the Hinged AFO, but I want to see if anyone has any experiences with them they'd care to share the pro's/con's, impact on activities, limitations, durability, and etc.

I'm a little concerned about durability, I'm a big guy and though I don't move great, when I do "go hard" on the range, it puts a lot of stress on everything.

Thanks,

Byron

I had an impingement of the right ankle. Donjoy makes a durable hinged AFO. It's nothing you'd want to sprint with, but its very durable/ comfortable. I ended up having surgery and I'm good to go now. After surgery, I got serious and lost 45 pounds, which seemed to make everything better

If you don't mind me asking did you have the sub talar fusion and osteotomy? If so, how does it impact you on unstable surfaces like gravel since you lose some the that rolling side to side motion? How long and what was the recovery like. I am told my case would be a 3 to 6 month recovery. Feel free to pm if you would rather discuss off the board if you don't want to post publicly. Thanks much, I appreciate the insight.

I had the bone spurs remove via arthroscopy. Rehab was 5 weeks and they gradually allowed me to increase activity. The sucky part of it all is that I have a 70% chance that it will reoccur. For me, wearing a good boot every day does the trick well. Uneven terrain issues have been minimal. I wear Danners for matches and training.

Best of luck!!

Mine has been the result of some minor deformity that I never even realized I had, but apparently all the angles and such of everything in my feet and ankles have been "off" for so long it has caused the bones to literally torque/twist so that the foot will not go back into neutral alignment. It also is apparently the reason why when I walk it looks like cross between Donald Duck and John Wayne. LOL

So, my choice right now, is "man up" for as long as I can stand it with the help of orthotics or this surgery that will fuse the ankle join that allows the foot to roll side ways...Think about an NBA player cutting say had left and how the foot will allow your leg to roll over the outside or inside edge of the foot. That would be gone, so the concern I have is with unstable surfaces,,,,,basically EVERY place we shoot USPSA with the exception of indoors. LOL

So, it involves fusing that joint, then breaking all the bones across the top of my foot and re-shaping them to allow the foot to go back into neutral alignment.