Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Affordable chrono ?

I would look at the Prochrono. Had a chrony, sent it back after getting booted out of HM at Area 6 a few years back. Multiple range sessions in various conditions with Chrony yielded "good". Chrono at match said no. Pulled Chrony out again at match, it still said yes. Cost me a pistol. Sent it back, spent a few more bucks on ProChrono Digital. Haven't had any trouble since making the switch.

The ProChrono Digital is the only chrono I've personally used, but its been good for me. My PF at the last SC Sectional matched pretty much exactly with what my home chrono indicated.

My only complaint that I have on the unit is that they display can be hard to read from a distance. Having a backlight/glow on the screen that became active for 2-3 seconds after it registers a shot would help. You could always get the computer cable too but I usually don't want to lug a laptop out to the range (not to mention that I use Linux on my laptop so the Windows software won't work).

I got 328 on the Chrony & 314-315 on the match chrono.

Sorry, Will, I must have my stupid hat on today - 328 what? Is that actually PF 128 and PF 114?

Reason I'm asking is that my Chrony seems to be reading about the same as any matches I've attended...

:cheers:

Sorry, Will, I must have my stupid hat on today - 328 what? Is that actually PF 128 and PF 114?

Reason I'm asking is that my Chrony seems to be reading about the same as any matches I've attended...

He's talking rifle. Below minimum for Heavy Metal rifle loads.

You will be able to find someone on this forum to complain about every chronograph made. A chronograph is a precision instrument that needs to be checked for consistency. Shooting standard velocity .22 ammo with the same lot number over it is a good way to do this. Not making PF at a match isn't the chronos fault. Just like blowing up a gun because your scale was off isn't the scales fault. That being said I have had good luck with my chrony and think it is well built. The 2 CED M2s that I used I thought were flimsy and not something I would want to haul back and forth to the range. YMMV

- 328 what? Is that actually PF 128 and PF 114?

He's talking rifle. Below minimum for Heavy Metal rifle loads.

OOPS, sorry, didn't think re: rifle :sick:

Wondering how many shots you fired thru the chrono at home, and what the

range was (how low did your shots go in terms of PF)?? :cheers:

Another vote for the Pro chrono Digital. It has always been pretty much dead on as long as I keep good batteries in it. When the batteries start failing it gives some wild readings.

FYI I bought two CED M2's for backups for my state match and for club use. Chrono man at the state match agreed to test them for me against his equipment and found one of the new chronos to be off by quite a lot. I'm working on swapping out parts trying to figure out what is making it inaccurate. The CED's are a handful for the average shooter wanting to check a new load every once in awhile and they cost 3 times as much as the Prochrono as well.