Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sassy

sperman

cropped1b_zpsd19de800.jpg

Sassy was the first collie to come into my life. She is the reason I fell in love with the breed, and is responsible for the three collies at my feet as I type.

Sassy_Pup_HQ_zpsf26ac09d.jpg

Sassy came to us from Southeastern Guide Dogs in 2010. We were puppy raisers, and we hoped after spending her first year and a half with us, that she would go on to be an even bigger part of someone else's life. The decision makers at SEGD had other plans for her, and decided to put her into their breeding program. While we were disappointed that she wouldn't go on to be someone's eyes, we were grateful that she would be able to stay with us. She had one litter, with lots of complications. At that point she retired from breeding and could just be "The Queen."

Sassy_13_zps614d145e.jpg

If you ever watched the TV show "Lassie" growing up, this was our Sassy. Imagine having a dog that went everywhere with you, and everyone who met her already knew her name. (We never had the heart to tell her they were calling her Lassie.) She was so much like the character in the show it was scary. We had lots of group activities with the guide dog organization, and the minute she walked into the room everyone knew she was in charge. She never had to raise her voice. A mere look from her would instantly let someone know (people or dogs) that their behavior was not going to be tolerated. She was a benevolent dictator, the referee of any disagreements, director of all the drama, guardian of all her land and everyone's best friend.

I have no doubt, that if we had a well, and Timmy had fallen in it, she would have made sure he was rescued. We had converted a spare bedroom into the "dog room." It was also a room where we stored miscellaneous junk. One night she was standing at the door to the room barking. It didn't matter how much I told her to "be quiet" or "come lay down" she would not stop. I finally decided to humor her and show her that there was nothing wrong. When I got in there, something was making a strange noise. There was an old motorcycle battery sitting on a shelf. It had gone bad and was bubbling and making a hissing sound. I doubt that it would have caused any damage if we had ignored it, but something was not right on her watch, and she wasn't going to rest until it was taken care of.

HRHSassy_zps1e474521.png

When my wife and I split up, Sassy stayed with the ex. She moved to Florida in 2010, and I haven't seen her since. I kept saying I would plan a trip to Frostproof, and while there drive down to West Palm Beach to say "hi" to the kids, but I never made it happen.

Sassy_5_zpsd123b4c5.jpg

Goodbye Sassybug. Please don't tell the others, but of all the collies that have come into my life since I met you, you are still and will always be my favorite.