Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 Trigger Replacement / Job?

dmd6x

I have a Glock 34 I am working on getting set up for 3gun and USPSA. I "grew up" shooting a Kimber 1911, and therefore, despise the trigger on the Glock. I had a glock armorer help me polish some surfaces, make it a little smoother, but I am still not happy with it, mainly the length of travel, reset, etc.

What is the best trigger replacement to get my Glock trigger to feel as close as possible to my 1911? I want to keep the gun USPSA and 3gun legal and I want to buy parts and install them (not modify the gun with a DIY home-job with washers from Home Depot).

I know JP offers a trigger service. I've also looked at some of the triggers sold by Dawson (which I think come from another website?).

What do you recommend?

Thanks.

I already have a JP extended mag release on the gun. I'm pretty sure that takes me out of Production and would force me into Limited? If so, then I plan to shoot Limited.

Vanek Customs is another option. But the Glock trigger no matter the kit will never feel like a 1911. Trust me I have played with Glocks plenty and now shooting a 2011 and CZ because I don't care for the Glock trigger feel.

Vanek Customs is another option. But the Glock trigger no matter the kit will never feel like a 1911. Trust me I have played with Glocks plenty and now shooting a 2011 and CZ because I don't care for the Glock trigger feel.

Absolutely agree! I get a kick out of guys saying their Glock trigger job is almost as good as a 2011. I love Glocks and shot a 34 for two years with a Vanek in it. It is a great trigger compared to stock.

BUT a 2011 trigger that has never been touched by a good gunsmith is at least 20 times better than the best Glock trigger out there. There just is no comparison.

Anyway, Vanek!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had an opportunity to shoot a couple of Glocks this weekend to compare the Vanek Classic and the Zev Fulcrum trigger side by side. My impressions were that the Vanek had the lighter trigger of the two, but it was more of a rolling break. It felt very similar to to the Gieselle (sp?) S3G trigger on my AR. The Zev had a crisper break to it, but it felt heavier than the Vanek.

It was also 9 deg out, so my judgement may have been a little impaired.

For those that have shot these two triggers, is this an accurate assessment of the two triggers?

I'm always throwing parts in my Glocks to try to improve the trigger. The trigger that stockboy44 is talking about, I think, is a Johnny Glocks trigger bar with a Taran connector and either a 4.5 or 5.0# trigger spring (not the lightest, not as heavy as stock...the coils measure .027", which is how I identify it.) While I'll never be satisfied unless it feels like a 2011 with a great trigger job (it won't...so I'm sure I'll be throwing more parts at it in an attempt to improve what I've got,) this is the best I've tried. There's about 3/16" of pre-travel which, while not completely resistance free, is smooth and very light. The trigger breaks after about a 1/8" pull of about 3# (measured about 2/3 of the way down the trigger shoe.) There is no overtravel at all. The reset is about 3/16" and very smooth and positive. Overall it feels very consistent and clean to me.

I compare the above trigger with a CZ Shadow that I have (since I haven't got a 2011) with a CZ Custom hammer, Cajun Gun Works sear, and the CZ Custom short reset disconnector...about 1/16" of pre-travel which is resistance free. The trigger breaks over about a 1/16" pull that takes about 2.25# to break. There is no overtravel at all. The reset is about 3/16" and very smooth and positive. Like the Glock, overall it feels very consistent and clean.

So by comparison, the Glock has 1/8" more pre-travel, the Glock pull is about .75# heavier and 1/16" longer, overtravel between the two is the same, and reset is the same length except that the Glock's reset is a little bit more positive. (Both guns set off Tula primers...both could probably be lightened up using the lightest springs available, but I don't want a "Federal primers only" gun when I can't get Federal primers regularly.)

I'm still trying to figure out if that minor amount of difference in the trigger attributes is enough to even show up on my hit factor on a given stage...hundredths of a second per shot matter...but as of right now I'm finding no noticeable difference (and I'm a huge fan of the Glock when it comes to gun handling, recoil control, lack of a double action first pull, and transition speed.)

I don't have any experience with a 2011, but I imagine the pretravel, weight of the pull, length of the pull, and length of the reset are going to compare even more favorably to my Glocks. Maybe at that point the trigger difference starts to show up in hit factors...I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

I already have a JP extended mag release on the gun. I'm pretty sure that takes me out of Production and would force me into Limited? If so, then I plan to shoot Limited.

What makes the JP release worth changing classes over a stock extended release? It seems like the larger pad may help some shooters with smaller hands maintain their grip during roads but I can't see anything else functionally different about it so I'm just curious.

I use a Vogel trigger from Glock Triggers in my G34 and I like it over the stock setup. It's not remotely like a xx11 trigger but it's an improvement over stock and still legal for production. All the roughness is gone and the reset is crisp but it's still a Glock at heart which is part of the charm for me.

I run a Zev Fulcrum. It ain't no single-action, but then I actually like the Glock trigger. I like the fact that the trigger actually moves backward before it fires. The 1911/2011 trigger firing with just pressure is loved by so many, but I prefer the double-action feel.

I see no need to try to turn a Glock trigger into a 2011. It's not going to happen.

I have a Vogel trigger in one g34 and a Vanek Classic in the other 34.. I have about 5000 rounds on both and to be perfectly honest when I am shooting a match I can not tell to much difference in either.

Its almost like flipping a coin. One thing I did learn was not to run the lightest stricker spring.

So my suggestion is not to get to caught up in the latest and greatest glock trigger. I did and wasted a lot of money.

Jan