Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jackrabitt clays or briquets for flippers?

Rabbits are more than just a thicker rim, they're flat, not cupped like a regular clay and a lot thicker. I don't think they're going to go as high as a regular clay because of the extra weight. If thats a problem or not would depend on what type flippers you're using.

Edited by cas

I use AA White Flyers on MGM flippers. We might have a few breaks, but not many. See no reason to switch anything. Rabbits are not as consistent in height or trajectory, so I won't use them on flippers. Then again, I only use flippers in local matches because the generally are inconsistent and the shooter can not challenge them. SMM3G used a spinning clay "tosser" that gave a very consistent presentation and the spinning was more likely to cause them to break up with only a single pellet.

Switching to White Flyers would be worth a try, the Champions didn't work out so well. With as many flippers as G3G has I'm sure they are going to keep using them. Looking at the match book it appears there were nine on stage 4 (these looked brand new) and three on stage 11,

It was a good thought bringing up other ideas for flippers.

I haven't seen an MGM flipper in person, but I have seen one by Custom Metal Products. Where the clay sits, theirs is padded, IIRC.

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

The MGM has a blue foam pad with a retention bolt / nut in the center. I think, and most likely I'm wrong, that the force of the heavy popper hitting the lever MAY cause the foam to compress and the bolt striking the center of the clay is causing it to break, sometimes.

http://mgmtargets.com/poppers/pigeon-flipper-attachment

• 3 weeks later...

training at home/range......charcoal briquettes on the clay flipper sounds like a great way to train harder than you have to compete.

at a match.....MD is kind of a "funny man" and probably will be within hearing distance of that stage to laugh at the yelling and cussing! haha Paging Jeremy Maddox....idea for the next Gateway match! :-)

I have two MGM poppers with clay flippers that I practice with, I have primarily Champion orange topped clays.....one of the flippers consistently breaks 1/3 of the clays, the other has never broken a single clay. I'm gonna have to try AA flyers!

training at home/range......charcoal briquettes on the clay flipper sounds like a great way to train harder than you have to compete.

at a match.....MD is kind of a "funny man" and probably will be within hearing distance of that stage to laugh at the yelling and cussing! haha Paging Jeremy Maddox....idea for the next Gateway match! :-)

I have two MGM poppers with clay flippers that I practice with, I have primarily Champion orange topped clays.....one of the flippers consistently breaks 1/3 of the clays, the other has never broken a single clay. I'm gonna have to try AA flyers!

The bolt holding the foam on the arm maybe hitting the clay.

I have had great luck with "mini" clays on MGM launchers. They are tough enough to pick back up off the ground and use again if not hit. Yet they are a true targets so you can see if there is one hole in it unlike charcoal.

They will also fly high and consistant using a US popper size launcher.

I have had great luck with "mini" clays on MGM launchers. They are tough enough to pick back up off the ground and use again if not hit. Yet they are a true targets so you can see if there is one hole in it unlike charcoal.

They will also fly high and consistant using a US popper size launcher.

Where do you buy those odd clay types?

Our club has bought mixed cases---regular, midi, mini, and rabbit---at the local sporting good store (Bass Pro, probably). Don't know if they sell just the mini/midi clays on their own, though.

We have found rabbit targets work best as they fly more consistently when launched from flippers. Only down side is they cost more. not a big fan of using charcoal although a friend of mine likes to use them at his matches.

pat

Try mounting the popper and flipper on a plywood base. It unitizes them and the popper won't keep sinking into the ground. It makes the toss much more consistent.

We have found rabbit targets work best as they fly more consistently when launched from flippers. Only down side is they cost more. not a big fan of using charcoal although a friend of mine likes to use them at his matches.

pat

Try mounting the popper and flipper on a plywood base. It unitizes them and the popper won't keep sinking into the ground. It makes the toss much more consistent.

I was talking with the G3G MD last weekend about this thread. He said they were using the White Flyer clays and thatat he should have wrapped duct tape around the cushion to insulate the bolt head from popping the clays when the foam compressed. When we were resetting the stage I thought it was cool that poppers and flippers were bolted to plywood as mentioned above. Yes, I'm sure it was heavier to move but stage set-up and teardown was probably a lot easier this way.

We use a ziploc bowl with the foam inside on the MGM flippers. That way, the clay doesn't wiggle off when the popper is shot. It also makes the bird sit up further so the bolt doesn't hit it.

I didn't hear of any broken clays at this year's match, and at He-Man, we only had a couple and that was after one of our shooters was nice enough to shoot the no-shoot steel into the bowl and broke it, and then as soon as it was replaced, it was all happy again!

We do use forward falling poppers for the flippers. They fly better and in a safer direction!

We also just got some of BlackSheep Manufacturing's...launchers...they call them kickers, I think! http://www.blacksheepmanufacturing.com/

They are easy to set up, and I honestly haven't seen a broken bird out of one of them yet. They do need regular clays. Rabbits won't fit and I don't think briquets would work, but I think the shooters enjoyed them at He-Man, JP RM3G AND our local matches when we set them. They seem to throw almost exactly the same every time. Even at their highest, they don't fly really high, but they are consistent.

Just another option for something in the air and moving! :devil:

Denise

So, JJ says a rabbit is the same diameter as a regular bird, so they would fit in the blacksheep launchers, if that's the case!

A charcoal briquet might work, but the strappy mechanism might just toss it into the edges since it isn't nicely centered!

I've never measured a bird or a rabbit, so I'm clueless! :blush: as usual!