Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

question about new pistol and caliber choice?

jriggs

so I just turned my older XDm into an open gun that i'll be shooting later this summer in some USPSA and SC matches. I plan on just running factory ammo for the time being because I'm not worried about making major power factor and being competitive. the way I see it..i'll be competing against myself for the first few seasons anyway and it's just a lot less headache to worry about the reloading just yet.

i'm in the process of snagging a pistol that i'll use for limited and i've just decided to get another XDm since it makes sense to shoot the same pistol for both divisions...my local shop guy has both an XDm in 9mm and a .40 coming in...and i'm not sure which route to go. I know it'll be easier to make major power factor with the .40 but if later on down the road I finally set up my bench to reload for the 9mm major then to me it makes sense to only have one caliber and to buy the 9mm XDm 5.25 now (less dies and less components all together)

again...I don't plan on shooting major in either division until i'm comfortable with the flow of things and my ability to actually be competitive, so it's factory ammo all the way until I start reloading 9mm.

so would it make sense to have both my limited and open XDm chambered in 9mm to streamline the re-loading process?

***note, I have been reloading for years and have a Dillon 550 already set up and running for other calibers...so to get my bench ready for 9mm all i'll need is the components and dies. I just don't really have the time to dedicate towards that right now.

thanks in advance,

Riggs

You will not be able to shoot major at all if you go 9mm for your limited gun. Smallest caliber for limited major is 40.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Very true. If you do see yourself wanting to compete with other versus just yourself, then get the .40 now, shoot factory ammo or find ammo loaded for competition like Atlanta Arms or Universal Ammo. Later on you can start loading your own .40.

I thought the smallest caliber is 9mm for limited major in USPSA? Just have to make the power factor...

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/14th_Ed_US_html/14th_Ed_US_Rules.11.html#pgfId=999026

Since you're already setting up your 9mm open gun, if I were you I'd definitely get the 9mm limited gun and keep things simpler. Same Mags, Same reload setup, same components, I'd rather save the headache.

I thought the smallest caliber is 9mm for limited major in USPSA? Just have to make the power factor...

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/14th_Ed_US_html/14th_Ed_US_Rules.11.html#pgfId=999026

Since you're already setting up your 9mm open gun, if I were you I'd definitely get the 9mm limited gun and keep things simpler. Same Mags, Same reload setup, same components, I'd rather save the headache.

Look further down that table: ".40 min. for major factor - Yes"

BTW: The link you are using points to rules from 2001. You best go to this page : http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-rules.php

and check out the current rules and the new proposed rules!

so there is no way to make major with 9mm in limited because the smallest round accepted into major power factor is .40?

ok then the .40 it is :)

thanks for the info!

Edited by jriggs