Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC World Shoot XVII, Florida 2014: FAQ

Hi folks,

I haven't posted here since 2004 but, with IPSC World Shoot XVII in Florida looming large on the horizon, and considering the fact that I am already being inundated with the same questions, mostly from Americans, I thought an FAQ might be useful here.

1. There will be a grand total of 1,152 slots for the Main Match distributed to our 93 Regions worldwide. This is based on a maximum match capacity of 72 squads, each containing 16 competitors (this allows for 4 full teams in a squad). If a team only has 3 members, the vacancy in the squad cannot be filled by another non-team competitor.

2. There will be no self-squadding. Initially, squads are organised by seeding, depending on how teams placed at the last World Shoot. For example, in Open Division at the 2011 World Shoot in Greece, the top 4 teams were USA, France, Australia and the Czech Republic respectively. Assuming they each field teams again for Florida, those 4 teams will be squadded together, even if the members of the teams are different. If, for argument's sake, one of those 4 Regions does not field an Open team, then the 5th placing team from the last World Shoot gets bumped up and so on.

3. After we squad by seeding, the next priority are squadding requests from Regional Directors. Lastly, we will do our best to honour squadding requests from individual competitors. We usually make everyone happy, but there are no guarantees. Note that due to various factors, squadding is usually not completed until about a week before the match. At the 2011 World Shoot, we were still making changes the evening before the Main Match commenced, thanks to a bunch of lost guns enroute, rolling strikes by Greek workers (including Customs and Police!), people missing connections and various other issues beyond our control.

4. Each Region is restricted to one team per division (Open, Standard, Classic, Production, Revolver) and/or category (Lady, Junior, Senior). We don't allow Gold and Silver teams in the same division or category from the same Region. At the moment we do not recognise Super Senior teams, but we will be raising this issue at the 2013 IPSC Assembly to be held in Thailand in November, and I am quietly confident they will be approved in time for Florida.

5. The Main Match goes for 6 days (13-18 October 2014), and everyone shoots either morning or afternoon the first day, then alternate to the other session the next day and so on. However, everyone only shoots for 5 days (6 stages per day, for a total of 30 stages), with 1 day off. This means some competitors have a break midway, while others do not shoot the first or last day of the match.

6. The Pre-Match goes for 3 days (8-10 October 2014), and everyone shoots 10 stages, full day, for 3 days. However, the Pre-Match is exclusively for Regional Directors, Match Officials, IPSC Patrons and Match Sponsors (see IPSC Rule 6.6.2). No exceptions! Note that if you are a member of an official Regional Team, you cannot shoot the Pre-Match. You must shoot with the rest of your team members in the same squad in the Main Match (see IPSC Rule 6.6.2.1).

7. Other dates are 2014 IPSC Assembly on 11 October, Opening Ceremony on 12 October, and the Awards Dinner on 19 October.

8. Slots will be released to Regions towards the end of 2013, and they are distributed strictly on pro-rata basis. The number of slots each Region will obtain is calculated by using the average number of members reported and paid to IPSC in the previous 3 years (2011, 2012, 2013). And, no, the host Region does not get extra slots.

9. Regardless of the actual membership of a Region, reporting to IPSC is capped at 2,000 members per annum. We currently have 9 Regions (Brazil, Canada, Germany, Greece, Italy, Norway, Philippines, Russia, USA) which each report the maximum. No guarantees, but I predict these 9 Regions should each get 60 slots (roughly 47% of the total). If you do the math, you will note that the slot allocation should be 3%. In other words, your Region should get 3 slots for every 100 members reported and paid to IPSC.

10. Slots are not transferable from one Region to another. You use them or lose them. If any of the initial slots released to Regions are returned, they will be reallocated pro-rata to those Regions which have requested additional slots. Based on past experience, very few slots are returned, and I doubt there will be more than a handful this time around, if any, but I expect requests for additional slots will be huge.

11. Each Region internally decides how they distribute the slots they are allocated. For American residents, this means the USPSA decides how to allocate its slots. Also note that slot qualification is based on residency, not citizenship (see IPSC Rule 6.5.1). For example, I'm an Australian living in Hong Kong, so if I wanted a slot, I would need to apply to IPSC Hong Kong, my Region of residence.

12. Defending divisional world champions from the last World Shoot are guaranteed a slot over and above slots allocated to their Region, but it's not a freebie! For example, if the USA gets 60 slots, Bob Vogel (reigning IPSC Production Division World Champion) gets a slot which is not drawn from the 60, if he wants to defend his title in the same division, but he still has to pay for it. And, no, this special slot is not transferable. BTW, as a result of the elimination of Modified Division, there are only 4 defending world champion slots available (Open, Standard, Production, Revolver) for Florida (there was no Classic Division at the 2011 World Shoot).

13. Category winners (e.g. Open Junior, Standard Senior, Production Lady World Champion etc.) do not enjoy this special privilege.

14. Match Registration, which will not open until all registration fees have been received, is handled by Regional Directors, not by individual competitors. It's tough enough dealing with 93 Regions, let alone over a thousand individuals.

15. As far as Range Officers are concerned, there will be at least 1 IROA Official per stage, 1 IROA Official supervising each Area (containing 6 stages), and an IROA Range Master. If you are an NROI Official, and you are interested in working the match, you need to register your interest with John Amidon. Note that IROA officials who are not selected during the match call-up cannot work the match under NROI terms without the prior approval of IROA.

I think that covers the most common questions. I'll pop back in a week or so to see if any questions have arisen which I have not already answered.

PS: Moderators, if you think it is worthwhile, perhaps you might consider pinning this thread.

Edited by Vince Pinto

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, as briefly as possible, can you explain how a lowly C Class "Classic" shooter can get in to this once in a lifetime match?

(I don't expect to ever afford and international match, but I can afford a trip to Florida).

Thanks

So, as briefly as possible, can you explain how a lowly C Class "Classic" shooter can get in to this once in a lifetime match?

(I don't expect to ever afford and international match, but I can afford a trip to Florida).

Thanks

Volunteer to work it

Thanks

Shoot the U.S. IPSC Nationals the following week(same 30 stages).

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

The official application for NON IROA officials is now posted on USA's webpage. If you are NROI or non-certified and interested in working WSXVII I have to have one of these applications from you. If you have previously contacted me in person, email, pigeon....whatever it doesn't matter. I need this app filled out and emailed to me.

Also as you may know the US IPSC Nationals is immediately following the World Shoot on the same stages. We will be needing staff for this match as well but for those of you who cannot get a slot to the WS, this would at least be an opportunity to get on the same stages in the same time frame as the WS contenders. Who knows....maybe someone could even produce combined results after just for grins! :ph34r:

http://www.universalshootingacademy.com/matches/2014-world-shoot/

Edited by SmittyFL

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been at the range the last two days getting my stage (#30) all set for game day. Today I will be shooting in the pre-match. The stage designs appear to be appropriately challenging, and Shannon and the crew have done a fantastic job of making them look world class.

I have been at the range the last two days getting my stage (#30) all set for game day. Today I will be shooting in the pre-match. The stage designs appear to be appropriately challenging, and Shannon and the crew have done a fantastic job of making them look world class.

Good luck. Have fun.

Will there be any videos available live or recorded to watch online?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

Lots of folks shooting video at the pre-match, so I am sure you will start seeing YouTube uploads soon. In the meantime, check out this coverage by the local Fox affiliate: http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/clip/10661088/shooting-competition-6pm

Only 16 posts on the largest Practical Sooting Forum about IPSC World Shoot XVII in shooting Mecca so far?...

Unbelievable sad and sick!!!

It must be shooting fest to all practical shooters all around the world.