Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally committing

APL-G35

I don't know what's going on. I'm starting to enjoy dryfire. I like the relaxation of it after putting the kids to bed. Down to the basement to dryfire 30-45min a night now. I feel like I'm making improvements. Reloads are much cleaner, working on grip and shooting A's. I really feel like it's getting better more consistent. I can't wait for the next live fire to verify what I feel.

Had a live fire practice yesterday. Dryfire is seriously helping. After all the shooting I've done I finally feel like I'm starting to figure things out. Grip is the most important thing for me. Yesterday we were running accelerator from the stoeger books. I ran it in 5.86 all A's cold. Then ran it back to front a couple times. I also ran some other drills that I shot perfectly clean a few times. I used to never do that. We also did draws and transitions on an 8" round at 12yds. Draw times were pretty good at 1.15 from a surrender position. I love making progress.

Shot the inland empire sectional today. Finished 6th in limited. Not bad considering the level of competition and that it was my first full uspsa match of the year. I shot well, calling all shots but was slow. Slow getting into and out of position but I only had 1 penalty all day on a no shoot on the last stage. Dryfire has helped tremendously. I used to just be a hoser and would throw wild shots and sometimes not know where they went. Now it's much more measured. I just need to speed up a little and clean some things up

• 4 weeks later...

Been dryfiring pretty regular. I shot our big 8 stage steel match at our local club. Shot okay started off sloppy but got it cleaned up. I shot my limited gun in both limited and open. Took first limited and 3rd in open with it. This weekend is the wa state steel championship. I finally made a 135gr .40 minor load. Shoots super sweet. Going to go give it hell this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Story time. Shot the wa state steel championship. Loaded up some special 135gr .40 minor. Tested it the week before and ran great. At the match it puked and would not run. No fault of the gun. I think it was an ammo mag combo. Switched to my normal major load 2 stages in and ran great. Until my mag catch broke. I didn't even know that was a thing. I used my dads gun to finish and wound up 3rd limited. Not bad all things considered. I'm sure I would've been the next max Michel with that minor load but I guess we'll never know. Got the gun fixed that night after the match and shot the uspsa match on Sunday. I feel like I've hot a plateau, I shot well as far as shooting goes but my ability to run a stage as fast as I need to at this level has hit a wall. I need to shave 1-2 seconds off each stage. I finished 5th. There were 7-8 M class shooters there. All very competitive within that ranking. I'm holding my own but need to find a way to start picking up a little time now. The better you get in this sport the harder it is.