Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BOD approves aftermarket barrels in limited.

BOD approves aftermarket barrels in limited. I know, I know, unbelievable. But I just read this on their facebook page. It reads: The BOD has approved a rule change allowing aftermarket barrels in Limited Division. The details will be posted here (facebook) later.

As someone who already owns 3) 6.5" factory .38 barrels on N-frames, I still think this is the correct call. Looking forward to find out the limitations (if any).

Ty, I'm not sure what the advantage to an aftermarker barrel in Limited is. ICORE is the most accuracy intensive Action Pistol game ( when you start adding up Bravos and Charlies it becomes obvious that 'you can't miss fast enough to win'... throw in a Mike on a hard cover target or a swinger and your life does truly suck).

But, the Alfa Zone is an eight-inch circle. If someone needs an aftermarket barrel to plunk Alfas... even at 50 yards... maybe they bought the wrong revo to start with?

I only shoot Classic, with a 6-inch GP-100, and it will hold a 4-inch 50 yard group all day from a sandbag rest DA, with plain old 120 PF lead 158 grain bullet handloads. That's just Classic with 6 rounds. But I can't imagine buying an expensive 7 or 8 shot revo and not having it be accurate enought for a 50 yard Alfa.

Ty, I'm not sure what the advantage to an aftermarker barrel in Limited is. ICORE is the most accuracy intensive Action Pistol game ( when you start adding up Bravos and Charlies it becomes obvious that 'you can't miss fast enough to win'... throw in a Mike on a hard cover target or a swinger and your life does truly suck).

But, the Alfa Zone is an eight-inch circle. If someone needs an aftermarket barrel to plunk Alfas... even at 50 yards... maybe they bought the wrong revo to start with?

I only shoot Classic, with a 6-inch GP-100, and it will hold a 4-inch 50 yard group all day from a sandbag rest DA, with plain old 120 PF lead 158 grain bullet handloads. That's just Classic with 6 rounds. But I can't imagine buying an expensive 7 or 8 shot revo and not having it be accurate enought for a 50 yard Alfa.

Since you shoot classic you already get to enjoy a readily available 6" barrel. It may be the balance, it may be the weight, it may be the sight radius, or cost. Only you need to know why you like it. Since you are unaware of any advantage, this should have no effect on you. This will allow people who wish to customize their toys a rule which will now make it legal. Limited is no longer needs to be the entry level "stock" category. Classic can now fill that role. I for one wanted a longer sight radius on my 8 shot guns. For me the longer sight radius allows me to be much sloppier on the sights without it effecting my accuracy. At least that is the perceived expectation. I paid a healthy premium for each one I own. This rule will reduce the cost involved for everyone who wishes to increase their sight radius. It reduces the cost because you will no longer need to buy a virtually un-obtain-ium S&W barrel. Or even more rare 1 of 300 (100 27-7's and 200 PC627's) factory complete 6.5" 8 shot guns. Every length, weight, and profile barrel still requires a well disciplined trigger pull and gun top handling skills. Sounds like you have a great gun that you enjoy shooting in Classic. It should bring you many more years of the same fun no matter what ICORE does to a division you don't currently compete in. Edited by Ty Hamby

i proposed the rule change because of the fact there are very few replacement barrels on the open market that fit the definition of ICORE rules. I didn't think it was fair to force someone into open because of an aftermarket barrel. a side effect will be there may be some innovation in revolvers because limited will now be less limited :) I am glad to see the BOD taking swift action on this change and hopefully we will see maybe a few new ideas out there..

Chris

Edited by ChrisC

Thank you, Chris, for doing the work to submit a rule change proposal. I have been in favor of this idea for a long time, but I never got around to doing anything about it. I first became interested in this idea when I wanted to taper the underlug on my 686+ 6" barrel to improve the balance and add a little coolness to the looks. I look forward to seeing some cool new ideas in limited designs.

Chris Sallee

In my case, this is a very good change. I bought a PC627 that had been on the shelf quite a while. The reason it was on the shelf?

It wouldn't hold a decent group with the original factory barrel (had a tight spot mid-way down the bore).

Didn't feel like sending it in to Smith for a barrel change and they wouldn't sell me a replacement. Don't ask me why their customer service is so hinky.

Anyway, I pulled the barrel and replaced it with a new/old stock barrel for a different N frame that I had to search all over creation to get. It shoots good and I suppose it meets the original rule about being a barrel from the original manufacturer.

However, this new rule looks like it will allow a lot easier replacement with a custom barrel. That is a good thing! Thanks ICORE!

Edited by pyrrhic3gun

• 3 months later...