Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

? With egw u-die

trp

Well I'm getting a few different story's with what my reloaded 40 is supposed to look like, straight walled, hourglass,

I just started loading 40 for a custom 6" caspian, I was told to use a u-die so that I can get every round into the mags and get rid of the glock bulge.

My question is wether the u -die is pushing the brass down and making it bulge more?

Or does it just look hourglass because that's how it's supposed to be?

I had trouble racking the slide after a few shots and had to really get a grip on the slide to bang it out and one of the better older experienced shooters said it was bulged, I showed him my rounds and he said to ditch the u-die

Anybody have some advice

I'm using a Dillon 550

Loading a 200 gr lrn bullet

Out to 1.200"

I was having a hard time getting my limited gun (custom sti) to run reliably. I switched to a u die from the dillon and now it runs flawlessly. Not sure if that was the culprit as I was also experimenting with magazines at the same time but nonetheless I've been very happy with it. I also get the hourglass effect but it doesn't seem to bother my gun. I do chamber check my match rounds in my barrel to be safe, though.

Make sure you have your die set all the way down to the shell plate. I run a U-die on 40 & 9 without any issues. It will give you more of an hourglass shape and hold your bullets well to prevent setback. I still chamber check all of my rounds with a case gauge. The ones that don't pass I use for practice and the others I save for match ammo. Even though I get a few that fail the gauge they cycle just fine in my guns.

Well I'm getting a few different story's with what my reloaded 40 is supposed to look like, straight walled, hourglass,

I just started loading 40 for a custom 6" caspian, I was told to use a u-die so that I can get every round into the mags and get rid of the glock bulge.

My question is wether the u -die is pushing the brass down and making it bulge more?

The reloaded cartridges should have a wasp waist/ coke bottle/ hourglass shape, as mentioned by Cowboy1629 this prevents setback. (The case should be slightly smaller behind the bullet and above the rim.) The U-die can push the bulge down if it was to large to start with, or if it is set too high (I.e. not down to the plate). Using case lube will also help with bulged brass (the die will slip over the case easier so it doesn't push the bulge down).

The reloaded cartridges should have a wasp waist/ coke bottle/ hourglass shape, as mentioned by Cowboy1629 this prevents setback. (The case should be slightly smaller behind the bullet and above the rim.) The U-die can push the bulge down if it was to large to start with, or if it is set too high (I.e. not down to the plate). Using case lube will also help with bulged brass (the die will slip over the case easier so it doesn't push the bulge down).

Is the due supposed to be touching the plate ?

I too use the U-Die all the way down to the Plate. It does not do the same as bulge busting but my gun runs them fine. I did have some bullets that were too long and were getting stuck in the throat of the chamber. Set them back a little and they run fine now. The U Die is always going to make a hour-glass round but that is OK.