Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got my longslide conversion......and I'm disappointed?

I should say shine the sides. Match sides have a gloss look to them.

I have a Match too. The shine comes from the preparation of the metal before the bluing is done. Bluing not a coating over the metal like Cerakote, but a chemical reacting with the metal itself which changes the color. More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_%28steel%29

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the pictures! So looks just like a Match slide except the sides. Anyone know if the bluing can be polished shiny there?

Standard barrel or Polygonal?

Polishing removes metal so the bluing would be long gone before the sides got smooth, it would be a cool two tone look though. To do it right you would need to strip the finish off the entire slide, polish the sides, then re blue the whole thing.

And my money's on standard rifling.

My .40 has standard cut rifling, but looking down the barrel of the new .45 it appears to have polygonal rifling

You can put the new barrel in the old slide, it should fit with no problems. I would bet the barrel lug is actually too wide, no too low. Get hold of some calipers and compare the new barrel to the old.

So I sat down and tried some combinations.....

Lug fits in the frame no issue on the new barrel outside of the slide. Barrel won't fit into the old slide as far as locking with the lugs in the slide so that is a no go. The takedown pin will go through the lug with the barrel naked. It appears that the barrel and new slide are possibly not fully fitted and so the barrel is not camming all the way up, this prevents me from getting the takedown pin through because it shows up as the lug being too low. Aren't the conversion kits fitted together barrel and slide????? I was under the impression the only fitting to be done on my end is to fit the slide to the frame. Looking at where the barrel hood vs the top of the slide is on the new conversion slide looks like there is clearance where on the factory .40 slide it is all a tight fit. These conversion slides are more of a pain than I thought it would be.

OK, I think I get it now. When I've bought new barrels from CZ, they come long from the breech face of the barrel to the locking lugs on top of the barrel. When you put the barrel in the slide, it won't go back far enough to lock into the slide so it just slides forward free, does this sound like your problem? The new CZ barrels were intended to be fit tight to the slide by filing the breech end of the barrel until it fit. Perhaps this is the same situation???

Hopefully you can see what I mean here. This is a comparison to the "in battery" state of my .40 and new .45 slide. You can hopefully see the barrel is not able to move totally up in the .45 slide which could be a breech end of barrel issue, or fit of the barrel lugs to slide lugs. My question is I thought this would be fitted by tangfoglio / EAA.

IMG_5116.JPG

IMG_5117.JPG

IMG_5121.jpg

IMG_5118.jpg

IMG_5119.jpg

IMG_5120.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anything binding the barrel back towards the muzzle? Had some debris once between the top of the barrel and the slide that made the barrel difficult to get out. Wound up just dropping the whole slide into a solbent bath and that loosened it up. Turned out to be brass shavings and my slide grease.

Best of luck.

10mmJunkie

Is there anything binding the barrel back towards the muzzle? Had some debris once between the top of the barrel and the slide that made the barrel difficult to get out. Wound up just dropping the whole slide into a solbent bath and that loosened it up. Turned out to be brass shavings and my slide grease.

Best of luck.

10mmJunkie

I don't think so, but I will look next time. Barrel and slide have not been shot except it appears as a test???? Cleaning the barrel after trying the blue, the patch came out like I had shot it (which I have not).

Well, tried the blue, but I didn't really see any obvious ohhh there it is kind of areas. I am really bumming at this point. One thing I did find out, brake cleaner will not remove dykem, but hoppies #9 does :mellow: so there's a data point for you. Opinions? Ideas?

Also, fyi dykem once it dries is like a really hard laquer, fwiw compared to sharpie.

IMG_5122.jpg

IMG_5123.jpg

IMG_5124.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg

And because I had my camera and it was asked earlier, I believe this is polygonal....

IMG_5126.JPG

IMG_5125_zps8e22bc95.jpg

This is the spot right here, a few passes with a file, test fit, repeat. It's over sized there on purpose; my new CZ barrels have come the same way.

When I bought a new barrel and found myself in the same situation I was Google searching for barrel fitting and came across this post by David Milam of Cajun Gun Works (schmecky): http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=47664.0

Edited by kneelingatlas

Yeah I saw a 1911 fitting video last night and the guy didn't touch the lugs just filed on the back of the hood. From looking at the barrel which appears to have a fitting pad on it I agree that it probably is fit the same way. I am assuming I am going to need a special very fine file for this. Or is a file too aggressive?