Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting with music.

Agney5

I didn't see this thread anywhere, and figured this is the closest to the right spot. So with technology being what it is ear pro now have auxiliary jacks or blue tooth capability. So my question is has anyone used these to have "background music" either while shooting or prior to to get themselves into "the zone". I find the idea interesting considering the many activities in day to day life that music will help get done with greater efficiency. So I have to wonder with the right music choice could it be helpful.

On a side note I'm not talking about blaring music so loud you can't hear range instructions and you're unsafe just loud enough to be herd.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen several people have their iPod plugged in and listening to music before they go up to shot. I don't have a pair if electrics so I have never done it myself. I will try it when I upgrade my ears later on.

I just got a spotify account and created a USPSA playlist. First off the app is awesome, and if I just happen to find a song I like just click on it and add to playlist. Next month I'm looking to get a set of these http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/peltor-ws-tactical-sport-com-headset.html should be interesting to shoot to my own sound track.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I considered those but I hate the idea of the cord just doesn't sit well. I can't even use the covered ear buds without almost ripping my ears of from catching the cord on something. Plus this will probably be a gift from the wife.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I listen to something to pump me up on the way to the range or while parking, then run the song in my head right before I shoot. Helps me focus. But I'm weird

Amigo,

If that makes you a weirdo.......

You need to come shoot a match in Idaho.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this thread hasn't been active in a month, but I have had great results with running through my stage plan, then remembering every note of an Yngwie Malmsteen solo. When I step into the box all that is left is picking up my alphas. It helps me not think about the hit factor I "need", or the time other guys have run. My match standings have improved...

I just Velcro my IPod to the side of my ProEars and plug the jack into the side. After a little bit of practice I could manipulate the IPod controls just by feel: on,off, vol, song selection ... After I LAMR, I grip my gun in the holster, repeat my performance statement, take a focus breath and then prior to giving a head nod that I'm ready I reach up and tap my IPod on ...

I have only done this while shooting a rifle from a rest, mainly because I was the only one there and was getting bored with the 200 yard walk. My muffs have a port that I can plug a cord that goes into my iPhone. I have never tried it while shooting my pistol.

I always listen at IDPA. Plug my iPOD into my muffs. I still hear all the commands, and talk with everyone, I just have music in the background.

It keeps me from being nervous. It keeps me from over thinking things.

I have found that the type of music also affects my shooting. If I have head-banging music on, I shoot very aggressively, but slow music makes me shoot slow and precise.

It has the same effect on my driving. Driving aggressively versus mellow.

• 2 months later...

Tried this before with my ipod hooked up to my howard leigh but only after reviewing the CoF several times and figuring out the best approach.

Shoot to Thrill by ACDC pumps me up while in standby mode while visualizing how I run through the course like having my own mtv.

next time I'll try nessun dorma.

I have hooked my iPhone to my Howard Leigh input port but the sound quality was not that great. I find it works much better to just use the normal ear buds under the muffs. I use this quite a lot at the range while practicing. I don't do this at matches as I rather spend time socializing with the other shooters.