Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BoreSnake Stuck in AR15 barrel....any ideas?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wonder why people use bore snakes.

It is the same as running the same dirty patch thru your bore over and over again.

Really what makes it work so well is the surface area. It's like running 50 patches thru the bore at one time. Plus, it has round copper brush of the specific caliber imbedded into the weave toward the top to loosen powder residue from the rifling before the webbing cleans it out. They work. Don't use it for copper removal and still I still use old style patches to presoak but a great addition to any range bag.

It is the same as running the same dirty patch thru your bore over and over again.

Really what makes it work so well is the surface area. It's like running 50 patches thru the bore at one time. Plus, it has round copper brush of the specific caliber imbedded into the weave toward the top to loosen powder residue from the rifling before the webbing cleans it out. They work. Don't use it for copper removal and still I still use old style patches to presoak but a great addition to any range bag.

So how often do you need to clean it ?

or how many times do you run it thru your barrel ?

So how often do you need to clean it ?

or how many times do you run it thru your barrel ?

Generally, I'll run it through the barrel 2 or 3 times after the barrel cools down and check down the bore to make sure it's clean and to look for copper. When I get home, I might patch down some clp, let it soak, boresnake it and patch for reassurance.

I don't clean the B.S. that often - pretty much when it looks dirty or when a patch shows residue, and that depends on number of shooting sessions per caliber and powders used.

Still have rods and patches, just a lot fewer attachments. The B.S. is an additional tool. Comes in handy on a long day of shooting with hours between rounds. Just run it thru once or twice and it's good 2 go.