Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions about pro chrono digital

I ordered one of these and it's supposed to be delivered Friday but I have a few questions about it. Has anyone found a way to interface this with an i pad or i phone? Also what distance is everyone using for setup? I know the instructions say 5-10 feet but is there a specific distance that is working better?

I set mine around 10 feet out, maybe 12... want to make sure that muzzle blast doesn't effect readings. As for interfacing with a device other than a Windows PC with the cable and software, I believe there is a thread here on the forums about building a bluetooth interface.

I have not done that and can't help. I use the PC interface...

EDIT: here's the thread... http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=176086

Edited by bigdawgbeav

I also set mine out about 10 - 12 feet.

I've yet to see anyone get this Chrono working with a smart phone, but rest assured people are working on this.

I built a cable for about $17 that interfaces with my PC. The Bluetooth in the afore mentioned thread also interfaces with a PC but will hopefully be adapted for a smart phone in the future. (An app will need to be either written or adopted to work with a Bluetooth interface)

In my opinion you picked a great chrono that will serve you well for many years.

As long as your comfortable with soldering and simple electronic circuits, you can build you own cable that will interface with your PC. Here's a link to the DIY cable:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=169846

Thanks for the information. I think making the cable would be pretty easy but trying to work with software would be a no go for me. I would like to start shooting a little competition but I don't see much of it around here in Houston. If I decide to shoot I think it would be USPSA.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information. I think making the cable would be pretty easy but trying to work with software would be a no go for me. I would like to start shooting a little competition but I don't see much of it around here in Houston. If I decide to shoot I think it would be USPSA.

There's a remote control unit you can get. Or just don't bother with any of it. Even being a "techy" I've found it perfectly fine to take my ProChono Digital out and just read the display from the bench (with it out at 10 feet occasionally I can see it unaided, but I take along a cheap pair of binoculars just in case).

You should have 2 clubs in/near Houston that shoot USPSA:

CHAMPION LAKE ACTION SHOOTING SOCIETY - ST16

Contact Info

Stephen B Jack
Sugar Land, TX 77478
Phone: (832) 512-9594
Email: stephenjack@windstream.net
Club/Range Address
3626 BLUEBONNET
HOUSTON, TX 77053
Details: Club Matches held 4th Saturday @ 9:00am Location: Bailey's House of Guns
Club Contact: Stephen B Jack TY7309
RANGEMASTERS - ST15
Contact Info
Walter Laich
Cypress, TX 77429-5117
Phone: (281) 251-5212
Email: walterlaich@comcast.net
Club/Range Address
11325 Eastex Fwy (US-59)
Houston, TX 77093
Details: We shoot each Thursday except Thanksgiving; Start time is 6:45 pm and we end at 9:00 pm. New shooters are welcome--bring your handgun and lots of ammo! We tend to shoot alot and have fun doing it.
Club Contact: Walter Laich L1314

Those are just the ones listed inside the city. The South Texas Section has 9 clubs listed in the USPSA directory.

I built a cable, but I would love to have a remote. Unfortunately the remote (CEI-4000) costs as much as the chronograph.

All I really need to do remotely is change strings. I shoot at a range and typically will work up 4 to 6 different loads to be chrono'ed. So the process is:

Wait for range to go cold and setup chrono set to String 1.

Wait for range to go hot, fire first string (10 shots for me as I'm also very concerned with the Standard Deviation)

Wait for range to go cold and set chrono to String 2.

Wait for range to go hot, fire second string.

... you get the idea and at my range this could take several hours to completely test all my loads.

I can easily see the display at 10 feet and usually just pack up the chrono and review the data at home later.

The cable is great for me as I can change strings remotely. I don't enjoy having to drag out the computer to change strings, but I really don't want to plunk down the cash for the remote. I did notice there's a guy on eBay selling them for $72 but that still seems like too much for a remote. For now the cable is my best choice but I'm hoping for a lower cost alternative to changing strings remotely.

Anyone have any ideas?

Looking to gauge the market need to an iPhone/Android app that will communicate via Bluetooth to a chronograph. I just purchased a Prochrono last weekend and immediately found the need for this. I know they make a wired USB to serial cable for it along with some software, but I am thinking about a wireless solution using a phone or tablet so you don't have to lug a laptop around.

I would like to know what people would value a full-featured software app at. $1, $5, $20? What about the Bluetooth hardware for the chronograph?

Ideally I would make the app function with the most popular chronographs. All opinions, gripes, desired features, etc. are welcomed. Looking for honest feedback here. Thanks.

Honestly, I'd be willing to pay up to $10 for the software. $30 for the Bluetooth hardware.

The only features I'd particularly care about would be displaying the shot, scrolling through strings, and remote operations (Delete string, change string, etc).

Exporting to CSV would be good too, but any type of graphing and such could be easily accomplished in a spreadsheet program or separate reporting utility.

• 9 months later...

Redpark makes an RS-232 to Lightning/30 Pin cable for iPad/iPhone with a SDK. Problem is, it's $70 and you would need to develop the software. Not so bad if you dabble in Xcode. http://redpark.com/lightning-serial-cable-l2-db9v/

I have both the Pact XP IV and the Pro Chrono Digital. Both work fine with the prolific Serial to USB adaptor under Parallels. (Side Note - So does my ODB II Scan tool with ODBWiz).

I did look at the Caldwell chrono for the simple point it does work with iOS devices. But, figured I could live with the cable running to my MacBook. I too like the data in CSV format so I can take to Excel and manipulate however I wish.

BTW - I have this insane Idea to Chrono my rifles at 100 yards. My thought was to put a Windows 7 based LT down and slightly out of the way at 100 yards. Connect back to bench via WiFi and use the RDP from iPad to control host Windows LT. Now I can shoot through two Chronos with data points at ~muzzle and 100 yards. But, I stopped the madness when I questioned myself it this was an IT project or a shooting project. I kind of like leaving the IT stuff at the office. But then I thought - if I added a camera down range recording the target using the same PC then.........hum.