Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moly Coated Lead Bullets - Any Additional Barrel Cleaning Requirements

I shoot a Glock 34 in Production and am thinking about trying some moly coated lead bullets. How will that change my barrel cleaning procedures?

I've been using the standard cleaning chemicals... Used to use Hoppes #9... changed to Mil-Comm MC25... and have been using KG1 carbon remover for several years now... I assume I'll need to use something different or in addition to the normal cleaners to remove the moly and/or lead...

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated...

lewis lead remover and kroil will remove any amount of leading you could possibly build up.

Also, if you hate the environment peroxide and vinegar will eat away the lead in the barrel.

Edited by RammerJammer

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) is a carrier solvent used to keep the moly in a suspension prior to it being applied to the bullet. The MEK (available at most hardware stores) works great in cleaning out the bore from any moly residue.

Try shooting a few and see what the barrel looks like. Some barrels/guns do not like these, others work really good. My guns have not shown any leading from the ones I have shot, I just run a bore snake periodically. YMMV

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) is a carrier solvent used to keep the moly in a suspension prior to it being applied to the bullet. The MEK (available at most hardware stores) works great in cleaning out the bore from any moly residue.

MEK is bad news, we use it at work for various things but the precautions in use are extreme. It is a known carcinogen and is rapidly absorbed through the skin.

I'll admit there are plenty of things that cause cancer but please do some research before using MEK when there are alternatives.

Pure tumble coated powder moly is awful on cast bullets. If you are talking about bullets like precision, bayou and others, "moly" is only a small fraction of the contents.

Edited by jmorris

I fired ten moly rounds from my Glock 34 with a new KKM barrel... Shot about 50 rounds of FMJ after that... Couldn't notice any lead in the barrel...

The moly bullets I shot were Billy Bullets... Also thinking of trying Bayou when they become available,,,

lewis lead remover and kroil will remove any amount of leading you could possibly build up.

Also, if you hate the environment peroxide and vinegar will eat away the lead in the barrel.

What mix of peroxide and vinegar do you use?

I just read "The Glock in Competition". It has a chapter on Glock explosions by a forensic engineer who specializes in firearms. Read that before using lead bullets in a stock Glock barrel.

Wait, people chemically clean barrels when they are shooting moly? I punch a brush through every couple of thousand rounds followed by a dry patch.

Also, as stated above, moly is fine in Glock barrels. Of course I shoot hundreds and hundreds of home cast lead bullets through my stock Glock barrel- I think the glock "leading issue" has more to due with commercially cast bullet fit but that is totally a different situation than moly.

50%50. It takes only minutes, but if you leave it in for longer you can eat up your barrel. So caution is advised. I do it once a year, and otherwise just use a regular barrel cleaning regimen.

50%50. It takes only minutes, but if you leave it in for longer you can eat up your barrel. So caution is advised. I do it once a year, and otherwise just use a regular barrel cleaning regimen.

I do roughly 50/50 and leave it in for 2 minutes. Then a patch through it will make it shine.

• 1 year later...

hi ya, lots of moly coated 9mm thru my cz75 and my xd9

I was scrubbing too much

after all what harm can moly do.

now I have a g21 but the lead thing scared me enough to buy a LoneWolf barrel. not only lead but unsupported case in chamber issue. especially as I use range found brass for my reloads.

uh, and I found this www.blackbullets.com guy and his seem better.

max

Right, stock Glock barrel not good with lead, so they say. Also Glock barrels are 'unsupported' in the chamber area it seems and are subject to case explosions if you use range brass as I do. Therefore I have a LoneWolf match barrel. And I don't think that lead gets built up in the barrel anymore. The Moly build up is normal and fine. It is a lubricant and will wear off if you are not shooting more moly. Maybe I am wrong; I am color blind, so copper may not show up. Anyway many good suggestions above on how to remove copper or lead. one thing thou' I haven't found real brass ChoreBoy anywhere beware of imports.

BBI bullets are a polymer (I think), not moly, and that combined with a clean powder VV n320, my barrel basically wipes clean with a quick pass of bore snake and Frog Lube (thus far after a few thousand rounds).

Yup Chandler, its www.blackbulletsinternational.com

now I still have a box of 500 moly's before I really use the Hi-Tek in earnst (I tried a batch and they are slick!).

one prob remains:

I have next to no powder! its a California problem; I was in the Mid-West recently powder and .22LR's everywhere!

I have the following:-

1/3# bullseye

1/3#Power Pistol

1/3# tite Group

1/2# "231" some might consider me lucky,

I don't want to load 147gn loads without some support. Any suggestions to help me finish up these molys?

Edited by Max It