Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why no bullet overlays?

MARKUSEJ

For a dfferent perspective.

I was at a USPSA match yesterday where a competitor vociferously argued a hit on a NS. It was a shot just outside the A zone of the underlying scoring target, and he really wanted the hit to avoid the mike and partially offset the NS penalty. An overlay (mine, as a matter of fact, since I try to remember to have one on me for the USPSA matches I attend) was involved. The RO felt that the overlay circle as he centered it did not touch the perf. The shooter argued that the RO's placement of the overlay was incorrect (I think the shot was slightly angled, so the hole was not truly round) and that it did touch. A lot of hemming and hawing by the RO ensued. Other opinions were sought. The shooter did not have it go his way, but this goes to show that an overlay does not end the arguing or controversy or doubt.

Thanks for posting! This is just another confirmation that overlays are NOT the end to controversy and scoring disputes that some folks claim. Regardless of the scoring method, disputes can and WILL happen when humans are involved. Human eyesight...humans with overlays...similar issues.

Yep, since in one particular situation (edge hit), they are harder to use, we should just guess! I like your way of thinking. If you can't achieve perfection, there is no need to even try.

lol.

Edited by motosapiens

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this thread, I have determined two things:

1. BillR1 is the greatest troll ever.

2. BillR1 was on the Tiger Teams

Well done, on both accounts,Sir!.

Neither are true, but thanks for playing. Too funny...

I'm simply someone that agrees with IDPA's scoring methods. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

It doesn't really matter what ANY of us think. IDPA has determined what works best for them and have decided how they will score. Works for me!

I have met a few people that would argue for sacrificing a baby before a match it IDPA put it in the rulebook and curse you if you objected.

All you have to do is prohibit sacrificing a baby in the USPSA rulebook, and it will be mandatory in the next IDPA rules, lulz.

I'm simply someone that agrees with IDPA's scoring methods. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

It doesn't really matter what ANY of us think. IDPA has determined what works best for them and have decided how they will score. Works for me!

But, it does matter what we think, we are the customers. What we think determines where we spend our money. And there are a few changes I don't like, makeing me really think about where my money will go next year.

But, it does matter what we think, we are the customers. What we think determines where we spend our money. And there are a few changes I don't like, makeing me really think about where my money will go next year.

And that's the way it should be! If you don't like something bad enough, let your feet and wallet do the talking. If IDPA saw a significant decrease in participation due to their policies, I'm sure they'd rethink their positions on some things. That's clearly NOT happening in my area anyway. We have a waiting list of people wanting to take the SO class, and match attendance remains very strong. It looks like they're doing something right.

And that's the way it should be! If you don't like something bad enough, let your feet and wallet do the talking. If IDPA saw a significant decrease in participation due to their policies, I'm sure they'd rethink their positions on some things. That's clearly NOT happening in my area anyway. We have a waiting list of people wanting to take the SO class, and match attendance remains very strong. It looks like they're doing something right.

IDPA is doing well in my area too. Not as well as the other game, by a turn out of 2-1 at the local clubs. And most likley next year I for one will be doing a lot less IDPA, and very little if any IDPA sanctioned matches. I'll probably just save my money for the bigger USPSA shoots.

post-4535-0-89509400-1380828165_thumb.jp

This is what I will start carrying around..

Crystal Black Swarovski Crystal Magnifying Glass Black Swarovski Crystal Magnifying Glass is 5.5 inches in length. Crystal Black Swarovski Crystal Magnifying Glass is presented in a lovely gift box.

attachicon.gifidpaoverlay device.jpg

This is what I will start carrying around..

Crystal Black Swarovski Crystal Magnifying Glass Black Swarovski Crystal Magnifying Glass is 5.5 inches in length. Crystal Black Swarovski Crystal Magnifying Glass is presented in a lovely gift box.

If you don't add an overlay, that list is useless (;-))

I just can't imagine that they do it that way solely because other sports don't.

Do you know all the reasons IDPA was started? Where it stemmed from? It's origins?

I do believe that if it came from USPSA, some sports would never adopt anything, no matter the logic/benefit.

if you have to look that close, the shooter gets the benefit of the doubt.

The new IDPA rulebook is already out.

Just read it. Refer to 11.2.8

This.

If you see or feel favoritism is being applied in scoring, complain to the MD, if its the MD doing it complain to HQ.

What he said. :-)

I could give a fuzzy crap about overlays. It's the damn PE's I'm eating for taking a damn step when I reload that's killing me! It's hard not to swear as soon my foot moves forward before I can stop it because I can see the SO's damn index finger rising in my peripheral!

yeah since they will be watching for foot movement I've ordered a set of these to watch the SO's expression of his face if my index foot starts to rise..

http://www.amazon.com/Rearview-Spy-Glasses-Mirror-Vision/dp/B000NPGMHM

also,since it is now a rule to sign ALL score sheets, i will also use one of these..

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Message-Invisible-Writer-Spy/dp/B000UVNSV2/ref=pd_bxgy_t_text_y