Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lubing my 1911 for SS.... Best lube?

G17fan

Hello all, I am currently using the enos grease. I have heard that some fold use motor oil and other oils to keep things lubed up.

I have a SA 5 inch loaded model.

What does everyone use and how does it work?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll get lots of opinions on this... "best" lube is right up there with grips, trigger profiles and FLGRs.

To be honest, just about every gun specific lubricant is pretty good stuff... you can hardly buy any genuinely bad products anymore. I've not used the Enos grease, but if it's a light bodied product, then using it on frame rails would be just fine. I've had some bad experiances with grease in cold climates, so I get a bit nervous about grease, particularly in a carry gun.

For about the past 3 years, I've been experimenting with Prolix, specifically on carry guns and on my 3G Benelli M2 . Prolix is a rather unique product, resulting in a dry, drip and stain free, lubricant finish. Only recently have I started using their products on target, range and match handguns. So far... so good. YMMV. :rolleyes:

C

I use 15W50 Mobil 1 mixed 50/50 with Mobil 1 ATF. In this heat I might start using straight motor oil again. I don't know if its the best, but 10 bucks keeps everything lubed for years and I havent noticed any excessive or accelerated wear. A search should give you lots of opinions.

I was on the motor oil train till I shot a match in February when it was 25 degrees. 5 1911's on the squad all using something different but the only one that was running was the guy using frog lube.

I ordered some the next day and haven't had a single problem since.

CLP and Rigg. The grease on the parts like the barrel for the bushing to ride on, the bottom of the slide that contacts the plunger, an ultra thin flim of the greas on top edge of the frame. A squirt of CLP at the back of the slide in the rail groves before sliding it on.

I tested lots of lubes on my CasePro, grease, oils, etc, the one that hung tough last the longest and did the best job CLP.

I used the enos grease, for a while goes on red comes off black but it worked, I just think CLP in the rails is a lot slicker, goes the distance.

If it works with open guns it will work with the SS, works on my SS, no if I would just get some Tripp mags I'd be all set.

The Rig +P grease works well on stainless guns and it is supposedly designed specifically to prevent galling with stainless. It's been around forever and in fact was discontinued and then brought back by another company due to demand. This stuff: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/935946/rig-p-stainless-steel-gun-lubricant-1-1-2-oz-tube

They also sell a universal grease, but that is more of a preservative to prevent rust.

I'll use a little of this, superlube, or slide-glide (not real picky) straight on the lugs/bushing areas and cut it with a little CLP or FP-10 on the rails.

Militec - 1 in my opinion is the very best. It was formulated for the troops in the middle East. Not only does it lubricate well but it also keeps your weapon cleaner.

Nano tech 386 or Blue magic gun oil---both run about $20 for a small amount.

The Blue Magic bottle lasts about 5 years. Search the internet. Otherwise--any quality synthetic motor oil will do.

Personally, I don't think there is a best but a whole lot of really good stuff.

I was on the motor oil train till I shot a match in February when it was 25 degrees. 5 1911's on the squad all using something different but the only one that was running was the guy using frog lube.

I ordered some the next day and haven't had a single problem since.

That's weird. We shoot down to around zero in winter. I haven't had the slightest problem using the light slide-glide on my cz or 1911.

I pretty much think any lube will work just fine, but I like the way slideglide 'feels'.

Here's a link on lubrication that I really like. I would add only that I put a drop of oil on the base of the cocked hammer for the hammer/sear interface at the beginning of each shooting session.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/cleaning.shtml

Is it ok to add oil to the base of the cocked hammer? Sorry but I have not heard of this before? It won't make it "slippery"?

I am with Jake on this one........Weaponshield. Have been using it since 2009 when Taran Butler introduced me to George Fennell. I figure if his products are good enough for the NASA program and where those products have to work, it should be ok for what we do. My whole group uses his products as he makes oils and grease products. If you liked FP-10 back in the day, you'll understand why-that was his product as well (Fennel Product #10).