Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should Spectators Be Quiet Before the Buzzer?

jkrispies

I respect that some folks see it primarily as a social event.

Their social event, however, should not intrude on other peoples' Shooting Match That They Trained For, Drove To, and Paid For.

I have shushed people, and as RO have shushed people.

It's not a library, but neither is it a convention for people to talk as loud as humanly possible.

I voted Yes. It's really simple. Shooting is a mental game... I don't care to be distracted by loud people 2 yards aways from me that are almost screaming to each other. Common courtesy should apply. Now of course... part of the mental game is not getting distracted from bystanders... lol

As a side note- I often have friends take videos of me shooting and on some of them all I could hear was people yapping... loudly. I often wonder how I didn't notice this while at the line. More than likely I did... but found a way to ignore it.

i've found it more annoying when a RO will stop you from shooting between a string to tell the crowd to be quite. I could care less what the crowd is doing, and am pretty good at putting everyone on ignore.

what really tics me off is when the people who yap it up wont get out and help paint steel or in a uspsa match help with the stage reset, but continue to talk away

Edited by JohnRodriguez

In any shooting sport, I think people close to the shooter should at least be quiet until the shooting starts.

If you need to talk alot, especially loud talk, back out of the bay for a minute.

Rule (http://steelchallenge.com/steel-challenge-Rules-Home.php) 8.3.2.2 states:

"Other persons may be expelled from the range for conduct which a Range Officer deems to be un- acceptable. Examples of unacceptable conduct in- clude, but are not limited to, failing to comply with the reasonable directions of a Match Official, inter- ference with the operation of a course of fire and/ or a competitor’s attempt thereof, and any other behavior likely to bring the sport into disrepute."

You yakking up a storm behind me as I try to shoot is 'interference of a competitior's attempt'

Show some repect for your fellow competitor.

If you must carry on your conversation try doing it way behind the line.

I will stay back an try to be quite while people are on the line. Most of them time at our club the boxes are off from the staging tables. Personally I don't really pickup in the people talking and things going on behind my back while I am shooting. Once I get the LAMR command I clear all the outside sounds out of my head. At that point it's just me and the RO.

• 4 weeks later...