Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA and IDPA critique

ProGunGuy

first thing that sticks out is you need to fix your grip on the gun. roll you left wrist forward more and point your thumb down the line of the gun or slightly below.

on your draw, your left arm just hangs there while your right arm goes back for the draw. you dont even move your left side until the gun has already cleared the holster. your left arm/hand should be moving at the exact same time as your right. bring your left hand up toward the middle or middle right side of your chest to meet the gun as you come up with it to extend out toward the target.

2nd video, have the gun up and ready to shoot before you stop moving into the box. You come in, stop, set up, shoot. Should be come in and set up at the same time, then either start shooting as you stop or just after.

first thing that sticks out is you need to fix your grip on the gun. roll you left wrist forward more and point your thumb down the line of the gun or slightly below.

on your draw, your left arm just hangs there while your right arm goes back for the draw. you dont even move your left side until the gun has already cleared the holster. your left arm/hand should be moving at the exact same time as your right. bring your left hand up toward the middle or middle right side of your chest to meet the gun as you come up with it to extend out toward the target.

just the advice i need. I have very small hands for a male. I have found it almost impossible to do the extreme thumbs forward hold. I have been concentrating on stregthening my grip and teaching myself to subcouciciously maintain a firm grip.

Yeah i do need to practice my timing on when my hands come together. Its all the little things that are keeping me from moving up in class

2nd video, have the gun up and ready to shoot before you stop moving into the box. You come in, stop, set up, shoot. Should be come in and set up at the same time, then either start shooting as you stop or just after.

It all the little things.

Thanks

just the advice i need. I have very small hands for a male. I have found it almost impossible to do the extreme thumbs forward hold. I have been concentrating on stregthening my grip and teaching myself to subcouciciously maintain a firm grip.

Yeah i do need to practice my timing on when my hands come together. Its all the little things that are keeping me from moving up in class

I too have smaller hands but you can still get a great grip on the gun by doing as i suggested. if you just focus on gripping the gun harder where your thumb is pointing up it still will not help with muzzle and recoil control. its about locking your tendons in your wrist, think joint locks in mma/martial arts, that will help with recoil control. with the grip you are using now you can squeeze as hard as you want but it wont help. i use an mp medium back strap on mine.

I would say work on target transitions and rythmic shooting. You will be faster overall shooting with a steady cadence by decreasing your target transitions. In an array of 3 targets you will be faster but actually shoot slower splits, something like bang;bang;bang;bang;bang;bang; instead of bang bang.......bang bang.......bang bang. Let your sights recover while you move from one target to the next just as you do on one target between shots, forget the double tap shoot 2 sighted shots per target.