Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

July / Aug Front Sight new format

warpspeed

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the layout a lot better, but more important I liked the spread of articles as well. While I like to read through write-ups on major matches, I always read the info articles first. This edition seemed to have many more of those. As a local MD I particularly liked all of the articles from the RMs an RMIs on running the clubs, stage design, etc.

Mine came yesterday, looked like it's been best around pretty good. Anyway, the format looks good but I haven't found the new Masters, GM's, RO's, etc. Am I just missing it?

Mine came yesterday, looked like it's been best around pretty good. Anyway, the format looks good but I haven't found the new Masters, GM's, RO's, etc. Am I just missing it?

I had been looking forward to seeing my name in the new RO's section and was very disappointed. That will probably be the only time my name ever would have made it into Front Sight! :roflol:

I was going to ask the same thing since this month would have been the first month my name would have been in there. I told my kid about it and when it came and wasn't on the back page he said maybe I wasn't as good as I thought I was. ha.

I do like the new layout though, good job.

Edited by waktasz

I know some prefer the hard copy in the mail version but I could live with an e-version. It's got to save printing and mailing costs.

Shooting Sports USA does a good job of it:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/ssusa_201307/

If you have story ideas you'd like to pitch, please send them to us at frontsight@uspsa.org. We've got staff who can help with editing if you're interested in writing for us.

We're also working on an e-version of the mag as well, so stay tuned!

Kim

Hi guys,

The CRO/RO and GM/M lists will be back in the next issue as Paul said. We ran into some technical issues with our database and due to the tight schedule for the new layout we had to skip it this time. We'll print the list that was supposed to be in the this issue as well as the next issue's list in the September/October edition.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Kim

One question guys,
a friend of mine called me this afternoon and told me that he just received FS and that there was a photo of me shooting at the 2012 French Nationals...I don't know to save my life if he was talking about the last issue or a much older one!How many Regions do publish FS?I doubt that in the last issue there is an article on the 2012 French Nationals!
Cheers
Manny

Nothing on the French Nats '12 in this issue that I can see.

Nice layout. Nice photoshop on the cover pic (there is no longer a guy in blue growing out of Jerry's gun, and the RO has been made scarce).

Had a discussion about FS at lunch today. One guy mentioned the match articles are big name shooter-centric. He didn't care for that. He'd rather read about the natch stages instead of how the big guys did on certain stages. He mentioned match stories have changed over the past few years. May have something to do with different authors or it may have to do with feedback the editor received from members. I tend to not read too much about matches I don't attend. Usually I start with any member letters then to the NROI section. After that I flip thru it. As far as specific changes to the layout, no one mentioned it.

I think that the new layout is cool. I was surprised that the article on the Cow Town Classic had zero info about actual match results. Why would we have an article in a competition shooting magazine that is missing a key piece of information, such as the results?

The content of the articles is determined by the author. All of mine are centered on the winners and their journey through the competition, how the lead changes etc.

I wish more people would submit articles, then there would be a wider variety in the write-ups. It does take a bit of work to pull them together, perhaps that is what discourages people from submitting them.

The content of the articles is determined by the author. All of mine are centered on the winners and their journey through the competition, how the lead changes etc.

I wish more people would submit articles, then there would be a wider variety in the write-ups. It does take a bit of work to pull them together, perhaps that is what discourages people from submitting them.

What made it discouraging before was how Robin Taylor wanted every article written in his format. I can think of at least three articles that were attempted to be sent in and rejected because it was not in the "focus on three stages about the match" format he wanted, so we stopped trying.

I was photoshopped out as well, I think it makes the image far less cluttered. The original image is on page 3.

Kim asked me if it was ok to adjust my photo and I was happy to approve the changes.

Well, that explains the shadow behind Jerry :goof: