Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuned Edge potential?

G34 CORDY

Is there alot of difference between a modified STI Edge and a custom? Say if you were to install a aftermarket barrel, trigger, hammer, springs ect would it really be far behind a custom performance wise?

Is there alot of difference between a modified STI Edge and a custom? Say if you were to install a aftermarket barrel, trigger, hammer, springs ect would it really be far behind a custom performance wise?

The quality of the aftermarket parts can make a big differance in how your factory STI runs but these parts have to be properly fitted to get the most out of them. And that is where a good custom smith makes it all work. From the basics of a nice slide fitting to trigger work and extractor, ejector tuning and the all important barrel fitting. You can't beat the experience of a good smith.

Let's do some math!!!

$2,040 STI Edge .40

$125 barrel fitting

$225 Schuemann Bull .40

$75 DK hammer

$30 EGW Sear

$24 EGW Disconnector

Soo...now we're at $2,519 and...

There still aren't any holes in the slide!

Figure another $150 for that.

$2,669, not including shipping.

We'll call it an even $2,700.

That is well within custom gun territory.

Let's do some math!!!

$2,040 STI Edge .40

$125 barrel fitting

$225 Schuemann Bull .40

$75 DK hammer

$30 EGW Sear

$24 EGW Disconnector

My point is what if I already have the edge and want to mod it. I will have a custom built down the road but I would like to mod the edge until I can have something built.

Edited by G34 CORDY

Let's do some math!!!

$2,040 STI Edge .40

$125 barrel fitting

$225 Schuemann Bull .40

$75 DK hammer

$30 EGW Sear

$24 EGW Disconnector

My point is what if I already have the edge and want to mod it. I will have a custom built down the road but I would like to mod the edge until I can have something built.

Edge with a good trigger job is as good as it gets, everything else is just style..

Seriously.. No performance difference..

As long as it shoots accurate and is 100% reliable your good to go. Use your money for ammo to practice. There is no magic part or gunsmith.

That's the issue it could be alittle more accurate and not as reliable as I like.

Are you good/experienced enough to be able to tell the difference? If you are a newer shooter/competitor you might want to wait. Is the accuracy situation your ammo, you, what? Not a put down...just askin. Many shooters run out and change something...spelled spend $$$$$ and realize little or no return. BTDTBT (Been There Done That BIG TIME).

Richard

I have a virtually bone stock Edge. Paid $1800 for it about 6 months ago.

Had hammer follow after 6000 rounds. Just had the hammer, sear and disconnector changed (Cylinder and Slide kit) and gunsmith out a 2.5# pull on it. ($275 total).

The gunsmith mentioned that the gun was unbelievably accurate. Even though the slide to frame is a little loose and the finish is sort of beat up (cuz I shoot about 1k rounds a month), it is way more accurate than I can shoot it.

Gun has gone banged every time I pulled the trigger until it broke. I think working 100% reliably is way more importantly than 2 inch groups at 50 yards

Spend the money on ammo and spend time practicing and perhaps tweaking your recoil spring to find the right one for you with your style and ammo.

Unless you just want a custom gun, then go for it.

Yes be carefull of the hammer follow. it can get you in trouble

I have a virtually bone stock Edge. Paid $1800 for it about 6 months ago.

Had hammer follow after 6000 rounds. Just had the hammer, sear and disconnector changed (Cylinder and Slide kit) and gunsmith out a 2.5# pull on it. ($275 total).

The gunsmith mentioned that the gun was unbelievably accurate. Even though the slide to frame is a little loose and the finish is sort of beat up (cuz I shoot about 1k rounds a month), it is way more accurate than I can shoot it.

Gun has gone banged every time I pulled the trigger until it broke. I think working 100% reliably is way more importantly than 2 inch groups at 50 yards

Spend the money on ammo and spend time practicing and perhaps tweaking your recoil spring to find the right one for you with your style and ammo.

Unless you just want a custom gun, then go for it.

Let's do some math!!!

$2,040 STI Edge .40

$125 barrel fitting

$225 Schuemann Bull .40

$75 DK hammer

$30 EGW Sear

$24 EGW Disconnector

Edge with a good trigger job is as good as it gets, everything else is just style..

Seriously.. No performance difference..

what Carlosa said! good TJob. everything is just style

That's exactly what I'm doing with my Edge. I bought a stock CRP Edge from Dawson that's almost taken me to "B" classification (operator shortcomings, not the gun).

A good Edge, in my opinion, is a heck of a nice place to start. In a world of custom race guns, it's easy to overlook a basic "stock" 2011-frame gun but there's a TON of potential in both shooter and pistol waiting to be unlocked.

As I mentioned in a different post, I've finally taken mine in after about 9 months and 3,000 rounds to start the process of getting it tuned and fitted for me.

I'll be about $2700 in by the time I get the slide cut up, but I'm making the changes that will best work for me and am working them in stages with my gunsmith, who's been GREAT about explaining exactly what we'll be doing and why.

I say go for it and don't look back.

Had stock Edge for 10+ years once a trigger job was done and a little tweeking to make it 100% reliable I felt it would take me as far as my capabilities would allow, gun ran like a top even with factory length ammo and was highly accurate, sold it this year when I had the chance to buy a ground up custom build on a SV frame and caspian slide. The gun is no better than the Edge i just like the looks of it better, standard length dustcover and traditional stirrup cuts on the slide. Was a solid A class but not so much anymore. Wonder if it has anything to do with my practice regimen or lack of?

Ive seen many shooters run edges with little mods done to them smoke guys with full custom guns. As long as its reliable, and you get comfortable with the gun you will be set.

All you need any gun to do is be reliable and have decent accuracy for uspsa. A lot of reliability does come down to ammo, a lot of people do not really pay attention when they are loading.

A decent trigger job with a reliable running edge, eagle, or even para can win any match! It just might not look as nice doing it.

The benefit of a custom is longevity. A properly build gun will last longer, retain accuracy and reliability longer than factory. Put 50K thru an Edge and it will feel sloppy, a custom should still feel tight

I have a really nice, custom 6" 2011, and when I was getting started I regularly got my ass handed to me by guys with the finish rubbed off their stock Edge or Eagle. Found out it was practice practice practice way more than chasing gear.