Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Approved for member review...

Flexmoney

I still don't think there will be more participation. You will just have some 625 shooters switching to 627s. Then the people with 625s and stages favoring 8 shot guns will get tired of getting beat by equipment and not shooters. They had fun shooting 6 shot guns but not enough to dump $2000 on new equipment to shoot a few revo matches a year. Maybe they keep shooting revos or maybe they pick another division to shoot.

I think I fall into this category. Running into 8 shot arrays and losing to D class revolver shooters will get old pretty quick. I know revolver division has problems and I don't claim to have the solutions, but I shot a match today with 43 shooters, 4 of which were revolver shooters. Our club is growing steady in revolver shooters by word of mouth. I would hate to think the ONLY way to save revolver division would be restructure it where only one manufacturer and one model could be truly competitive. I think I would prefer to shoot my 610 in production or shift over to production. I am curious to see how the vote goes. If it passes they should also change the name of the division to, "S&W 627 38SC w/ Starline brass and Hearthco clips or just having fun" - its a bit wordy but I think the intent is there.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a Taurus 608 without a ported barrel?

Not according to the manufacturer's website. Since it's a 6.5" barrel and the ports are at the end, you could have the barrel cut and recrowned and the Wiegand sight base cut into the rib and installed. Probably would end up with a 5-5.5" barrel. Considering you can pick up the Taurus for under $600, might be a good deal.

Of course, I could see one of our enterprising revolver smiths setting up this as a specialty service :ph34r:

Do my eyes deceive me? Or am I reading S&W guys consitering shooting a Taurus?!? Maybe big things have changed in the past few years since I bought a brand new Taurus which still didn't work right after it's trip back to the factory for 'post consumer quality control'.

Grim, on 04 Jul 2013 - 10:10 AM, said: So much for shooting USPSA revolver when I return from deployment. You guys are going to kill the revolver division, maybe that is what you want? I just don't understand it, there is only ONE manufacturer producing only ONE model of revolver that carries 8 rounds. It would be different if say, Ruger or another manufacturer, would also produce an 8 shot model but that is not the case. Maybe a certain manufacturer has bought off the BOD?

This is way off base and the only real thing that this is about is change to try and entice, promote and to get more revolver shooters out there. If it doesn't work it reverts back to the way it is now in 2 years. I doubt if S&W would bribe the BOD to maybe sell 100 to 300 new revolvers. I think they have better things to do.

I want to thank you for your military duty as that is one of the reasons we get to play games such as these and get to comment on forums. I do hope that when you are done with your deployment you do give revolver a chance.

Again thanks to all former, present and future Veterans and happy 4th of July.

Thanks, and I do shoot and compete with a Ruger GP100 in IDPA and some USPSA matches. Ruger does not produce an 8 shot revolver so I'm not interested and I will not own a S&W with that butt ugly 'Hillary Hole' in the side of it and will never touch another Taurus after all the trouble that I have seen others have with the company.

It is my opinion that the BOD should have looked more at the rules and stage design versus adding another contentious variable to the equation, that being adding an 8 shot revolver to the mix. Again, how many millions of existing 6 shot revolvers are there out there versus the pittance of 8 shot revolvers? It would be smarter to try to attract those 6 shot numbers, especially as we could use all the new shooters we can get, instead of pandering to a minority of 8 shot revolver owners or self interest (how many BOD members will now pull out their own 8 shot revolver to compete?).

Yes I sound a little ticked off, as should more people because instead of trying to attract NEW shooters and grow numbers and the sport, this new rule / category will really only cater to a very few existing shooters and MAY bring a few more new shooters with 8 shot revolvers but my bet is on eventually driving away most of the existing numbers of current 6 shot competitors - either leaving USPSA altogether or just competing with a semi in the future. A consideration that I do not think the BOD took into account is the existing backlog of all the current manufacturers which I just read is between 1 to 2 MILLION orders right now and you can bet the bank that those same manufacturers are going to concentrate on their semi-auto pistols and rifles (especially if they produce any AR models). So how many new 8 shot revolvers does anyone expect to be produced over the next two-plus years by these manufacturers? Not many I bet.

As for competing with a revolver when I redeploy, yes I will, and so will my two boys as they will be old enough and big enough to start competing and both of them want Ruger GP100 revolvers as their first handguns. Hopefully I can get my hands on two new ones when I redeploy, again supply is tight with existing backorders, I've already got all the other gear they will need to start shooting / competing with a revolver.

This new rule / category is, in my opinion, ill conceived and not well thought out and I predict that it may do more damage than good. As a matter of fact it already has, when I redeploy my two sons and I will be spending our money with IDPA and forget about USPSA altogether.

I still don't think there will be more participation. You will just have some 625 shooters switching to 627s. Then the people with 625s and stages favoring 8 shot guns will get tired of getting beat by equipment and not shooters. They had fun shooting 6 shot guns but not enough to dump $2000 on new equipment to shoot a few revo matches a year. Maybe they keep shooting revos or maybe they pick another division to shoot.

I think I fall into this category. Running into 8 shot arrays and losing to D class revolver shooters will get old pretty quick. I know revolver division has problems and I don't claim to have the solutions, but I shot a match today with 43 shooters, 4 of which were revolver shooters. Our club is growing steady in revolver shooters by word of mouth. I would hate to think the ONLY way to save revolver division would be restructure it where only one manufacturer and one model could be truly competitive. I think I would prefer to shoot my 610 in production or shift over to production. I am curious to see how the vote goes. If it passes they should also change the name of the division to, "S&W 627 38SC w/ Starline brass and Hearthco clips or just having fun" - its a bit wordy but I think the intent is there.

Lee

Mitch,

I agree with everything you said above. By allowing 8 shot minor it will devastate 6 shot major and kill the 6 shot minor class, IMHO.

IF there were more manufacturers (more than two) out there producing 8 shot revolvers and IF there was more supporting industry producing the gear (speed loaders and holders, etc) it could have a better chance of success but I believe the better option would have been to change the rules / stage design to better accommodate the 6 shot revolvers instead of waving the magic wand and 'poof' 8 shot revolver fixes everything.

I have been reading all of this talk about 6 shot or 8 shot revolvers for weeks now. First let me say I

have both, a S&W 625 and a S&W R8 and I compete using both, the 625 for USPSA and the R8 for ICORE and

Steel Challenge.

I think that you hit the nail on the head when you alluded to the fact that course design could remedy

this whole situation. I shot a USPSA match yesterday with my 625 instead of my normal Glock just to try

the 6 shot revolver game again since I gave it up due to the frustration factor of standing still reloads.

I have to honestly say that is was as painful as before. 7 or 8 shots from a shooting position just

kills the enjoyment for me. Oh they did have one revolver neutral course, the classifier!

I knew on the first course that I wish I had brought a semi-auto.

Why do the courses have to have more than six shots? Years ago, no match had more then six shots. I used to compete exclusively with a revolver back then.

Is course design only trying to make it competitive for 2011 style guns with large capacities?

I think with 6 shot max from any shooting position and just a little more imagination in the course

designs and all would work out.

Just my 2 cents.....

So much for shooting USPSA revolver when I return from deployment. You guys are going to kill the revolver division, maybe that is what you want? I just don't understand it, there is only ONE manufacturer producing only ONE model of revolver that carries 8 rounds. It would be different if say, Ruger or another manufacturer, would also produce an 8 shot model but that is not the case. Maybe a certain manufacturer has bought off the BOD?

Hmmm, another accusation that the BOD is on the take. Lost count of how many unfounded and complete BS accusations that is this year. No wonder most of the AD elections are uncontested. I'm just shocked since normally at the BOD meeting we sit around and split up our bribes from the previous six months. Heck half the meeting is just spent rolling around on the floor in cash looking like Scrooge McDuck.

If you think there is a manufacturer out there that cares enough about USPSA to bribe us, please let me know, we should at least talk to them about sponsoring Nationals. Until then take off the tinfoil hat.

Sorry, no tinfoil hat as I'm still wearing my Kevlar helmet and bush hat here in the sand box.

That last comment was sarcasm, apologies as it seems it did not come out that way.

"Hmmm, another accusation that the BOD is on the take. Lost count of how many unfounded and complete BS accusations that is this year. No wonder most of the AD elections are uncontested. I'm just shocked since normally at the BOD meeting we sit around and split up our bribes from the previous six months. Heck half the meeting is just spent rolling around on the floor in cash looking like Scrooge McDuck."

Ye ole bard Shakespeare once said something to the effect of 'he (the lady) doth protest too much, methinks." I'll spell that one out, S-A-R-C-A-S-M. :sight:

I still say that this is a bad idea / band aid that does not address the root problem, that of getting more NEW revolver shooters involved in the sport. Now when I redeploy next year I'm getting my two boys GP100 revolvers as they want to start shooting in competitions on the weekends with me, and yes they want revolvers versus semi-autos (could have saved a butt load on the two Les Baer TRS pistols I already bought). IPDA matches are a give in as that is what I shoot the most competition wise but before I deployed I started shooting USPSA to get more competition time in and to try something different. With this new rule that will have a 6 shot minor revolver going head to head with an 8 shot revolver on 8 round neutral stages that is just pure deck stacking BS.

Why would I want to have my boys start out in competition with the deck so stack against them, especially as new shooters? Using the same logic, why would a club want to have new shooters with 6 shot revolvers show up just to have those same new shooters to the club to become alienated by having them compete against 8 shot revolvers?

Your down three shooters (and the money they would bring) for 2014 now already.

As a fellow veteran, thank you for taking the mission forward. As a fellow wheelgunner, I understand your concern about competing against a stacked deck. As a wheelgunner who has been shooting USPSA since 1996 I can tell you that I can count on one hand the number of revolver shooters I have seen at a USPSA match with a speedloader fed revolver shooting major or minor. How many wheelguns are shooting USPSA at your club now? If your goal is to get them shooting revolver and the change is made, what is the impact? Do you have that many revolver shooters at your club who would go out and buy 8-shot revolvers?

Realistically, they aren't going to be competitive right away anyhow. They're going to spend a couple of years developing skills and figuring out what they like. So buy the GP's, have them cut for moonclips and they can shoot them in USPSA and IDPA. If they decide they like shooting USPSA and the change is mage, buy a couple Taurus 608's and have the ports drilled and tapped for considerably less than a couple 627's or the Les Baers.

As a veteran, thanks to everyone who is still serving.

At my club there are probably 3 8ahot shooters that would come out. They don't currently shoot uspsa at all, but do shoot steel and ICORE. I like the concept that stage design could fix a lot but lets be realistic, correcting the attendance issues probably won't happen at a local club match level. I don't mind shooting a match that isn't revolver friendly because everyone is dealing with the same limitation - 6 rounds. Allow a few to overcome this challenge and it is a game changer - 33% is a lot more ammo in a division with a 2.5 second reload par time.

-L

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

As a fellow veteran, thank you for taking the mission forward. As a fellow wheelgunner, I understand your concern about competing against a stacked deck. As a wheelgunner who has been shooting USPSA since 1996 I can tell you that I can count on one hand the number of revolver shooters I have seen at a USPSA match with a speedloader fed revolver shooting major or minor. How many wheelguns are shooting USPSA at your club now? If your goal is to get them shooting revolver and the change is made, what is the impact? Do you have that many revolver shooters at your club who would go out and buy 8-shot revolvers?

Realistically, they aren't going to be competitive right away anyhow. They're going to spend a couple of years developing skills and figuring out what they like. So buy the GP's, have them cut for moonclips and they can shoot them in USPSA and IDPA. If they decide they like shooting USPSA and the change is mage, buy a couple Taurus 608's and have the ports drilled and tapped for considerably less than a couple 627's or the Les Baers.

COF,

Same to you, Brother in Arms.

Number of revolver shooters at the USPSA club - between 2-4 I believe. I know of others that would bring their revolvers out if the stages were more revolver friendly though.

Number of revolver shooters at the IDPA club - 1-2 at regular matches. At our revolver only matches that we held 3-5 times a year there were 12-20 participants.

As for using moon clips, no, don't like them and will not use them. No matter the format (IDPA, TSA, USPSA) I train / compete like I would fight - with duty gear and or concealed carry equipment. Guess almost 20 years of active duty and 8 years of Reserve/National Guard service has drilled that into me. My boys will shoot / compete the same way as long as I am footing the bills, when they turn 21 and legally take possession of their revolvers they can modify them and their gear all they want as by that time they will have several years to figure out the fundamentals and decide their own path forward.

As for owning a Taurus, not going to happen in a million years. I've had too many friends and fellow Soldiers that went through the 'train wreck' that is Taurus' customer service to want to subject myself to that pain and misery.

Yes, I realize that it is going to take a couple-a-three years for the boys to get their skill levels up, etc. but I was also referring to new revolver shooters coming to the sport. If they are using a 6 shot revolver and are directly competing against someone not only with an 8 shot revolver but all the wiz-bang completion gear - belt, ghost type holster, moon clips and post holders, etc, it will be quite daunting and discouraging. For someone that is just starting out and is unsure / just trying out the sport I guarantee you that many will be turned off when they discover that they have to spend $1500-$2000 plus dollars just to be halfway competitive. With the economy getting worse and inflation about to take off disposable income will be an issue for a lot of people.

I just spoke to a group of guys that I work with (Army, Marines, Air Force) at the chow hall at lunch today and asked them if they would be willing to spend that kind of money to start out in a sport and the answer was a resounding "hell no"! They also said that they would not compete in a sport that handicapped the competitors like what USPSA is proposing (6 shot competing against 8 shot) and felt that it was an equipment race for supremacy versus a test of skills.

The best way ahead to get more revolver shooters, IMHO, is to 1) change the rules to 6 round neutral arrays (the high cap crowd will pitch a fit at this) and 2) have revolver split into the subcategories of 6 round speed loader, 6 round moon clip, and 8 round moon clip so that each is not competing directly against each other. There is a third option, which is to allow 8 minor and kill off the revolver division.

Just a curious thought, any speculative thought on if the poll on 6major and 8 minor, and this rule change, were posed to all division shooters, what the prevailing opinion might show. I suspect they would support the addition.

Yes, I know if they don't shoot it, and never plan to shoot it and therefore, their opinion may appear somewhat less valuable, but if they would have to choose would they shoot 6 or 8? In fact, the other divisions are as much a part of the decision to add the 8 minor as regular revolver shooters. Additionally, they may be the new shooters that are needed. Hold on, i know they don't represent a new USPSA new shooter and increase in overall shooter number, but if they "buy in" it is more likely some of them and their influence would help the division grow with the "new to the sport" shooter. After all, it is the autos course the revolvers are really playing on. If the game was flipped and ICORE was in every state with far fewer autos, wouldn't the consideration be the same to try and adapt the gun to fit the course with minimum conflict. Please forget the reality of autos having more rounds, this is hypothetical situational comparison.

It also seems many are thinking the 6 major is completely not competitive, it is very competitive for A and below shooters, and M and above shooters are experienced enough, an 8 shoot gun expense is probably not an issue regardless of whether they're "new division" or revolver shooter advancement shooters.

For someone that is just starting out and is unsure / just trying out the sport I guarantee you that many will be turned off when they discover that they have to spend $1500-$2000 plus dollars just to be halfway competitive.

This is completely untrue. You can shoot production with what you most likely already own.

I just spoke to a group of guys that I work with (Army, Marines, Air Force) at the chow hall at lunch today and asked them if they would be willing to spend that kind of money to start out in a sport and the answer was a resounding "hell no"! They also said that they would not compete in a sport that handicapped the competitors like what USPSA is proposing (6 shot competing against 8 shot) and felt that it was an equipment race for supremacy versus a test of skills.

With all due respect this is a terrible way to represent the sport. I realize this is the Internet but I don't think it is entirely required to be such a diva about a small PROPOSED change.

Things change, technology improves. I don't expect a new group of people to start shooting revolvers until glock starts making one.

I know very few people if any that started shooting USPSA with a revolver. To start in Production requires an initial investment of close to $1000.00 to be competitive. To compete in revolver with a 6 shot 625 5" barrel you are looking at an investment equal to and in most cases more than buying a new 627 8 shot revolver. Obviously S&W does not think there is any future in 5" barrelled 625s for USPSA shooters since it has been discontinued. If you are going to grow the Revolver Division it might help to approve guns that are competitive and also still being manufactured.

For someone that is just starting out and is unsure / just trying out the sport I guarantee you that many will be turned off when they discover that they have to spend $1500-$2000 plus dollars just to be halfway competitive.

This is completely untrue. You can shoot production with what you most likely already own.

With all due respect this is a terrible way to represent the sport. I realize this is the Internet but I don't think it is entirely required to be such a diva about a small PROPOSED change.

Things change, technology improves. I don't expect a new group of people to start shooting revolvers until glock starts making one.

Apples and oranges dude, we are talking revolvers here. The prices below is an approximation of the gear that a shooter would have to buy just to have some equipment 'parity' with and 8 round revolver. Also note that the equipment that a 6 round revolver owner currently has (speed loaders or moon clips, holders) will not work with the S&W 627.

S&W 627 $1249 to $969 (depends on model)

20 moon clips $45 $45

CR Speed holster $179 $179

Speed-e-rack $115 $115

Belt $55 $55

----------------------------

$1643 to $1363

My statement was in the ball park (lower end) with the above figures. The price for the ancillary equipment could go up or down depending on what the shooter wanted and the price for the 627 is probably higher due to the current state of the panic buying and continued shortages.

Shooting my single stack Nighthawk GRP or Les Baer Custom Carry or one of my Thunder Ranch Specials I agree it is "a small PROPOSED change", but also as a revolver shooter it is a BIG deal as the change is to "8 minor and 6 major". This change, as I understand it, would lump the 6 minor and 8 minor (.38/.357) into the same category for scoring which quite frankly sux.

As for being a 'diva' that's your opinion princess buttercup. I call it voicing my opinion as I've earned that right with over 20 years and multiple trips to the sandbox putting it on the line for this country. I take this personally as I have 'rediscovered the joys of shooting revolvers' and have been shooting in completion with them since 2010, IMHO this is a bad idea as it will cause more problems than it solves and I am concerned that the revolver division will be hurt in the long run. If the rule does go through as is the 6 shooters, especially 6 shot minor, will be at too much of a disadvantage, especially with no 627s on the market to buy. I myself will not buy an 8 shot revolver until Ruger produces such a beast as I do not like the "Hilary Hole" S&W revolvers or Taurus as a whole.

If this goes through I, my two boys (and my $) will vote with our feet and just shoot IDPA when I redeploy next year.

My North Mountain moonclip holder works with both the 625 and 627 moonclips. It is just as secure with either one. I am under the impression that 6 shot revolvers would be score major and 8 shot revolvers scored minor. I have not nor would I support 6 and 8 shot guns being scored the same. Just as I would not support SS with all 1911s being scored minor whether they held 8 rounds or 10 rounds. That would eliminate the 45 and 40 guns and make SS a 38 super or 9mm division. If it works in SS it can also work in Revolver.

Apples and oranges dude, we are talking revolvers here. The prices below is an approximation of the gear that a shooter would have to buy just to have some equipment 'parity' with and 8 round revolver. Also note that the equipment that a 6 round revolver owner currently has (speed loaders or moon clips, holders) will not work with the S&W 627.

S&W 627 $1249 to $969 (depends on model)

20 moon clips $45 $45

CR Speed holster $179 $179

Speed-e-rack $115 $115

Belt $55 $55

----------------------------

$1643 to $1363

My statement was in the ball park (lower end) with the above figures. The price for the ancillary equipment could go up or down depending on what the shooter wanted and the price for the 627 is probably higher due to the current state of the panic buying and continued shortages.

Shooting my single stack Nighthawk GRP or Les Baer Custom Carry or one of my Thunder Ranch Specials I agree it is "a small PROPOSED change", but also as a revolver shooter it is a BIG deal as the change is to "8 minor and 6 major". This change, as I understand it, would lump the 6 minor and 8 minor (.38/.357) into the same category for scoring which quite frankly sux.

As for being a 'diva' that's your opinion princess buttercup. I call it voicing my opinion as I've earned that right with over 20 years and multiple trips to the sandbox putting it on the line for this country. I take this personally as I have 'rediscovered the joys of shooting revolvers' and have been shooting in completion with them since 2010, IMHO this is a bad idea as it will cause more problems than it solves and I am concerned that the revolver division will be hurt in the long run. If the rule does go through as is the 6 shooters, especially 6 shot minor, will be at too much of a disadvantage, especially with no 627s on the market to buy. I myself will not buy an 8 shot revolver until Ruger produces such a beast as I do not like the "Hilary Hole" S&W revolvers or Taurus as a whole.

If this goes through I, my two boys (and my $) will vote with our feet and just shoot IDPA when I redeploy next year.

I think you made a few points that should be clarified, the 625 5" gun is not in production, that is the reigning king, to compare to a 627 which is in production is the big difference. Current 625 4" would require $ to alter and bring the two to parity. Yes, you can shoot the 4" but it seems the collective opinion from the many who have been competing in the division for several years, the 5" is the absolute in gear and is only available as a "used" gun. Thus negating the $$ argument. Although, the 6 minor would clearly loose out completely, it hasn't really shown up either. And finally, although Taurus is a superior company and produces an outstanding product, the overwhelming majority shoot S&W for a reason.

Consider many of the dissenting opinions are from veterans as well, and have earned their right of opinion, as well. We already have volumes of post on the 6 v. 8, perhaps we can focus a little more, myself included.

Edited by lora

Grim, it is interesting that you have very suddenly popped onto the scene and posted some very strong opinions on this issue. We are a pretty close-knit group here on the Revolver sub-forum, and many of us know and interact with each other in real life. Everybody knows my position on this, but I am the first to point out that I have several close friends who take the opposing viewpoint just as strongly.

Your thoughts are welcome if they are genuine, but there is at least one other shooting website where a few people have issued "a call to troll" this discussion here on BE.

So would you please provide your name and USPSA number so that we know what/who we are dealing with here?

Edited by Carmoney

All my revolver gear, holster, rack, belt, bag, icebox, first-aid, works with either my 6 shot 625 or my 8 shot 627. Just add either gun and its ammo and go play. For me to switch over is as easy as open the safe and go eeny meeny miny moe. From someone who has shot 8 shot revolver in L10 for the last 15 months.... This change will be AWESOME!

Posting Guidelines

Attitude
Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.
No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.
Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.
No trolling. No alternate accounts.

This isn't a suggestion. The bickering needs to stop. The personal jabs and retorts can be done in a personal message and not the forum. Send each other a note if you need to but don't post it here.

-Larry Drake
The Moderating Team

After reading almost all of this discussion, I am ready to see the vote take place and compete under whatever parameters come from it. The true result of any changes will be brought to light once the matches under the new rules have occurred. There have been test matches, theoretical discussions, and personal opinions on the division and where it needs to go. Now I am ready to deal with the actual effects of the vote.

Stay calm and revolve on! :D

• 3 weeks later...

According to the published minutes from the board meeting, the motion to approve the 8-minor option for discussion (i.e. member review and comment with a final vote in 90 days) was passed 6 to 3. The board members from Areas 5, 6, and 8 voted against it.

With all due respect to our capable and hard-working leadership, I'm having a hard time imagining why any of our board members--especially those who regularly participate here on this forum--would not at least be in favor of allowing the discussion to move forward on this issue.

I understand there are several valid points of view on the 8-minor issue, and 90 days from now I won't begrudge any of our board members for ultimately voting in a manner that they genuinely believe best represents the views of their respective Area constituencies.

But seriously---why in the world would any of our board members want to quash this whole thing now, without even allowing a formal feedback phase to take place?

Mike, thanks for the update. I have been talking with James Austin and a few other revolver shooters here in Area 1 and we have pretty much come up with the idea that seeing as we can't really afford an 8 shot at the moment (James excluded because he must have a dozen of them), we are going to continue shooting revolver and when we arrive at a match and it has an 8 shot friendly classifier (read this just classifier) we will register and shoot production. This way our classifications won't suffer if it turns out to be a huge advantage to shoot 8 minor. It ally is just a bandaid, but in the meantime, no damage will really be done. Maybe I am way wrong, but honestly, I don't run into a lot of > string classifiers and with the ease of reloading and major scoring I think an 8 should would be slightly behind a 625/610. Over an entire match, that has yet to be seen.

I think either way an 8 shot is on my radar when the funds become available. I like the versatility and shouldn't have sold that one I had a year ago, I just got impatient because it didn't really have a purpose as WA isn't really an ICORE state.

-L

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

According to the published minutes from the board meeting, the motion to approve the 8-minor option for discussion (i.e. member review and comment with a final vote in 90 days) was passed 6 to 3. The board members from Areas 5, 6, and 8 voted against it.

With all due respect to our capable and hard-working leadership, I'm having a hard time imagining why any of our board members--especially those who regularly participate here on this forum--would not at least be in favor of allowing the discussion to move forward on this issue.

I understand there are several valid points of view on the 8-minor issue, and 90 days from now I won't begrudge any of our board members for ultimately voting in a manner that they genuinely believe best represents the views of their respective Area constituencies.

But seriously---why in the world would any of our board members want to quash this whole thing now, without even allowing a formal feedback phase to take place?

The discussion only part is the only reason I seconded it and voted for it. I really don't know for sure where I'll end up on the issue. But I figured its the easiest way to get feedback.