Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Approved for member review...

Flexmoney

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for shooting USPSA revolver when I return from deployment. You guys are going to kill the revolver division, maybe that is what you want? I just don't understand it, there is only ONE manufacturer producing only ONE model of revolver that carries 8 rounds. It would be different if say, Ruger or another manufacturer, would also produce an 8 shot model but that is not the case. Maybe a certain manufacturer has bought off the BOD?

not true Taurus 608 is also an 8 shooter

Why don't they just allow ported barrels in revolver? Or optics?

Allow that and 8 shots and the Taurus 608 becomes a viable and cost effective option.

Grim, on 04 Jul 2013 - 10:10 AM, said: So much for shooting USPSA revolver when I return from deployment. You guys are going to kill the revolver division, maybe that is what you want? I just don't understand it, there is only ONE manufacturer producing only ONE model of revolver that carries 8 rounds. It would be different if say, Ruger or another manufacturer, would also produce an 8 shot model but that is not the case. Maybe a certain manufacturer has bought off the BOD?

This is way off base and the only real thing that this is about is change to try and entice, promote and to get more revolver shooters out there. If it doesn't work it reverts back to the way it is now in 2 years.
Good luck thinking it will revert. If voted in this is likely to be a permanent change -- could it be undone, sure, but it would take another board vote in two years....

Why don't they just allow ported barrels in revolver? Or optics?

Ports, I could see, since most people I have talked to about it don't seem to think they help very much. Optics would be a game changer and since adding 33% more ammo to the gun is considered by many to be a game changer as is, I can't imagine that adding optics would fly. Ports, meh, maybe. I wouldn't complain if I was competing against someone else with a revolver and the only difference in gear was a ported gun.

-ld

Grim, on 04 Jul 2013 - 10:10 AM, said: So much for shooting USPSA revolver when I return from deployment. You guys are going to kill the revolver division, maybe that is what you want? I just don't understand it, there is only ONE manufacturer producing only ONE model of revolver that carries 8 rounds. It would be different if say, Ruger or another manufacturer, would also produce an 8 shot model but that is not the case. Maybe a certain manufacturer has bought off the BOD?

This is way off base and the only real thing that this is about is change to try and entice, promote and to get more revolver shooters out there. If it doesn't work it reverts back to the way it is now in 2 years.
Good luck thinking it will revert. If voted in this is likely to be a permanent change -- could it be undone, sure, but it would take another board vote in two years....

Sorry I mistook an earlier statement as it would revert back in 2 yrs. Thanks for the clarification.

Spoke with friends last weekend. I hope this goes through. Our local club will instantly have 5 new revolver shooters committed for 12 months minimum. If the 2) 625 and 1) 610 faithful revo shooters quit, it is still a gain of 2 revolver at our club. I am hoping they stay and we have 8) the first weekend. 4 of the 5 of us frequent L10 with out 627's. Also, since I own 5) 8 shot revolvers, any USPSA C or better shooter in Northern California who is serious about trying and 8 shot revolver can use my equipment, and I will supply enough ammo for your first match. I am that convinced you will be hooked.

If this does go through what is the soonest we could hope it is implemented?

Have held off on commenting as in all honesty this will not affect me. In the area I shoot I am the only revovler shooter so doesnt matter if shoot my 610 or a speedloader gun always first in division ...over the years have stopped being last at match and that is why i shoot them ...there is no icore near me only idpa and 8's arent legal there so wont affect that either have asked around and one guy that shot uspsa 5-6 years ago says he will shoot his 627 but has said would shoot his 625 in past and never happened so will just keep spinning the wheel and reloading often come what may.

Spoke with friends last weekend. I hope this goes through. Our local club will instantly have 5 new revolver shooters committed for 12 months minimum. If the 2) 625 and 1) 610 faithful revo shooters quit, it is still a gain of 2 revolver at our club. I am hoping they stay and we have 8) the first weekend. 4 of the 5 of us frequent L10 with out 627's. Also, since I own 5) 8 shot revolvers, any USPSA C or better shooter in Northern California who is serious about trying and 8 shot revolver can use my equipment, and I will supply enough ammo for your first match. I am that convinced you will be hooked.

If this does go through what is the soonest we could hope it is implemented?

If I'm doing the math correctly, at your club, changing the rules would move 4 people from L10 and gain 1 new shooter. In the process, you may lose 3 existing revolver shooters. So at best USPSA gains 1 shooter, and at worst USPSA looses 2 shooters (net total.) Maybe having more people shooting revolver would attract other shooters, but it pretty much sounds like a wash.

So much for shooting USPSA revolver when I return from deployment. You guys are going to kill the revolver division, maybe that is what you want? I just don't understand it, there is only ONE manufacturer producing only ONE model of revolver that carries 8 rounds. It would be different if say, Ruger or another manufacturer, would also produce an 8 shot model but that is not the case. Maybe a certain manufacturer has bought off the BOD?

Hmmm, another accusation that the BOD is on the take. Lost count of how many unfounded and complete BS accusations that is this year. No wonder most of the AD elections are uncontested. I'm just shocked since normally at the BOD meeting we sit around and split up our bribes from the previous six months. Heck half the meeting is just spent rolling around on the floor in cash looking like Scrooge McDuck.

If you think there is a manufacturer out there that cares enough about USPSA to bribe us, please let me know, we should at least talk to them about sponsoring Nationals. Until then take off the tinfoil hat.

Moderator Note:

Enough back and forth about the BOD. These are hard working people who are working towards furthering our sport. Keep the conversation moving in the direction of the proposed change and leave the conspiratorial nonsense out.

Larry Drake
The Moderating Team

Is there a Taurus 608 without a ported barrel?

Not sure, but even if there isn't a replacement barrel on a new gun is still cheaper than a 625. Edited by Chuck Anderson

If I'm doing the math correctly, at your club, changing the rules would move 4 people from L10 and gain 1 new shooter. In the process, you may lose 3 existing revolver shooters. So at best USPSA gains 1 shooter, and at worst USPSA looses 2 shooters (net total.) Maybe having more people shooting revolver would attract other shooters, but it pretty much sounds like a wash.

That's one way to look at it... but another way is to say your club stands to lose twice as many shooters as you'll gain... If that sort of ratio plays out through a bunch of clubs, Revo might be in big trouble.

Not sure, but even if there isn't a replacement barrel on a new gun is still cheaper than a 625.

One can tap and plug the ports as it would be legal to do so in USPSA. We have allowed the same in ICORE.

That's one way to look at it... but another way is to say your club stands to lose twice as many shooters as you'll gain... If that sort of ratio plays out through a bunch of clubs, Revo might be in big trouble.

IMO, it is a bit of a catch 22. Revolver is already in big trouble. If allowing 8 minor attracts new shooters all is well. If it hurts division participation, I'm not sure there will be a division left to worry about. I don't think any of us will know the answer until it happens (if it happens.)

Out front I'm in favor of it, and I've given it a lot of thought. If it does get approved, I would expect it to be permanent and never reversed. If it does not help, I would not be surprised to see future changes moving it further away from what it is now. That's not an official insider opinion, just basic understanding of human behavior. You are either growing or withering, there is never a long term static condition.

So it seems the view is...

8 shooters, shooting Production/L-10 "just for fun", not good, requires a change.

6 shooters , shooting Revolver "just for fun" is acceptable, that's okay.

There seem to be three issues currently reference to revolver division.

1) Equipment Restrictions

2) Rules

3) Match Recognition & Participation

Now the current changes at hand appear to directly effect the first two issues. The third issue May be affected by the current changes at hand. Adding more options for those that are or might be interested in shooting revolver division I would say is not a bad thing. Presuming that the changes will affect match participation by itself seems wishful at best. It may not be possible with the current changes waiting approval to increase the revolver participation at the local level, but it has been shown by the Memphis Charity Challenge and the dedicated Revolver Nationals that at the higher levels participation can be increased with additional measures. How many participants at either the Revolver Nationals or the Memphis Charity Challenge used a revolver that was more than a six shooter? Don't get me wrong, as I hope that the eight shot revolvers being allowed has a positive effect. I still think without dedicated revolver matches even that won't bring about the positive change that is wanted. Looking at the numbers from both the Memphis Charity Challenge and Revolver Nationals matches, competitors are willing to travel to attend dedicated revolver matches. With more dedicated revolver matches I would imagine that more people will practice more for them and in turn shoot more local matches also in preparation for the dedicated matches.

Basically the changes that are coming look to me as if they are a step in the right direction, but more steps to support it need to follow. This is not the end...It is just the beginning.

Edited by Blueridge

8 shooters, shooting Production/L-10 "just for fun", not good, requires a change.

I read it more:

--8 shooters, shooting Production/L10 because there are no other revolver shooters in match, why compete only against yourself? Might as well choose a division fairly comparable, for some competition and to not ask for any stage design change or consideration from the majority of auto shooters

--6 shooters, helI I don't even know anymore. Aaaaaaa, not wanting to risk being being non competitive to more revolvers shooters shooting 8 shooters. Hence, more revolver shooters in the division?

I read it more:

--8 shooters, shooting Production/L10 because there are no other revolver shooters in match, why compete only against yourself? Might as well choose a division fairly comparable, for some competition and to not ask for any stage design change or consideration from the majority of auto shooters

--6 shooters, helI I don't even know anymore. Aaaaaaa, not wanting to risk being being non competitive to more revolvers shooters shooting 8 shooters. Hence, more revolver shooters in the division?

Knee jerk reaction to the change by a six shooter is I can't compete. Which I believe is short sighted, with the minor/major difference and "GOOD" course design I hope it's a wash. Good course design is not 6 shot per position though. With bad course design one or the other will have an advantage. I'm sure I could design a course that would favor my 625 over an 8 shot, can you say partial popper set heavy? But as an overall at a larger well designed match I still think it's the shooter not the gun.

I'm sure I could design a course that would favor my 625 over an 8 shot, can you say partial popper set heavy?

It's still got to fall to calibration ammo, right? So it's not like you can set it very heavy....

Well, I read it as "set correctly so nothing less than a hit in the calibration zones by calibration ammo will make it fall but that most people will call heavy because they're used to them being set too light". :devil:

Edited by bdpaz

I'm sure I could design a course that would favor my 625 over an 8 shot, can you say partial popper set heavy?

It's still got to fall to calibration ammo, right? So it's not like you can set it very heavy....

I'm not in the habit of doing things like that either, but I've seen it.

As for plates, set it so the plate will just go down with a legal high center hit with 147 9mm load and then apply hard cover so half of the plate is covered. You would see some re shoots but it would be legal. And not what I'd ever want seen done.

Not according to the manufacturer's website. Since it's a 6.5" barrel and the ports are at the end, you could have the barrel cut and recrowned and the Wiegand sight base cut into the rib and installed. Probably would end up with a 5-5.5" barrel. Considering you can pick up the Taurus for under $600, might be a good deal.

Of course, I could see one of our enterprising revolver smiths setting up this as a specialty service :ph34r:

Edited by COF