Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Approved for member review...

Flexmoney

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Provisional, permanent, whatever. Still see it as an improvement and believe it will help the division. Realize that many out there do not care and would just as soon see revolver go away completely so if you DO care, contact your AD. Not all USPSA members care if revolver were to go away. Just like they don't care if SS or production or limited or whatever perish. Many individuals think that only things they value are of value. Revolvers in general have been replaced by autos for many uses. This causes a feeling that the device is no longer needed. This isn't true and we can't let this happen.

Do TWO things: call your AD with your opinion and then actually participate. Not just in the discussion, but at the range. If the number of people who have been commenting on this subject over the last few months were actually shooting revolvers, we wouldn't be talking about it here.

I remember when revolver was a category rather than a division. Maybe 2 to 4 shooters would be at the Nationals. Now as a division, even on a bad year 17.

A question for the BOD. What would have to happen for Revolver to remain a division? Numbers grow, remain the same, go down?

I don't shoot a lot of USPSA Revolver because there is mostly IDPA local to me. I do shoot some revolver (SSR) in IDPA. :)

I'm starting to think allowing 8 minor is worth trying. Gunbroker has several for sale for $1000 give or take.

I believe there could be some growth potential with 6 shot minor speed loader revolvers. I don't have any idea how to do it to make them competitive though. SSR has grown a lot in the last few years. There are a lot of 38/357 6 shot revolvers out there.

I believe there could be some growth potential with 6 shot minor speed loader revolvers. I don't have any idea how to do it to make them competitive though. SSR has grown a lot in the last few years. There are a lot of 38/357 6 shot revolvers out there.

The only thing I could think of to make them potentially competitive with 625s, is to change the division to recognizing only minor power factor....

I have no idea which change would result in increasing participation.....

Gunbroker has several for sale for $1000 give or take.

LOL right there is part of the problem. Good grief.

I mean, I'm a pretty serious revolver shooter… have more than a couple dozen of them. And there's no way I'd drop a $1k on a regular ol' nothin special about it S&W revolver. No wonder people aren't rushing out to try the division. :blink:

I have shot revovler division, 4 matches a month, for the better part of the last two years. I have used a S&W 686 Plus with minor loads and a 625 with major loads. I emailed my AD this week in favor of maintaining the current rule of 6 shots between reloads. If the success of the division is measured by the number of shooters at the nationals, keeping the stand alone revolver nationals is the "gold nugget" to growing the division. Without a stand alone nationals even allowing 8 shot minor nothing will change over the long haul, might the first few years but then back to normal. How many of the folks that shot revo nationals this year would shoot them again in revo division if USPSA went back to Limited-Prod-Revo national format and allowed eight round minor? I will ask this, why is your 8 shot so much more fun then your 6 shot? Because our courses of fire are setup eight round neutral, that's why. I like the challenge of trying to break an eight round neutral stage down, I do not want to shoot six round neutral stages at a USPSA match. I hope the BoD decides to leave the revo rules as is and keep the stand alone revo nationals.

Bob Ferguson - A70789

Edited by smith52

... I will ask this, why is your 8 shot so much more fun then your 6 shot? Because our courses of fire are setup eight round neutral, that's why. I like the challenge of trying to break an eight round neutral stage down, I do not want to shoot six round neutral stages at a USPSA match. I hope the BoD decides to leave the revo rules as is and keep the stand alone revo nationals.

Bob Ferguson - A70789

You have succinctly identified the very reason to try the 8-minor/6-major - It gives shooters more options. You like the challenge of breaking the stage down into 6-shot increments - Great! You still have that option, but why not allow others the option to shoot it in 8-shot increments?

I've shot revolvers for years and still plan on shooting them regardless of the change. I'd like to see the speedloader revolver shooters get into the game as much as anyone, BUT I don't see it happening. IDPA is a prime example of a shooting sport that's not ICORE, that is as revolver neutral as you're going to get with 18 round maximum stages. I've shot IDPA since 1998, been a match director for local and state matches and SO'd local,state and national matches. In those 15 years, I haven't seen a big influx of revolver shooters into the sport, So, if they won't shoot IDPA with a 6-shot minor revolver, why do folks think we'll bring them into the USPSA fold in droves? The majority of the IDPA shooters shooting USPSA are shooting the autoloader divisions that best match up to their IDPA equipment.

If someone could figure out now to get the 6-shot minor guys to come to USPSA and support the sport, I'd support whatever change it took for that. In the meantime, if we can bring in some of the dedicated ICORE shooters and allow USPSA members with 8-shot revolvers shoot them in USPSA, why not try it?

Edited by COF

I only want this to pass so I can stop hearing about "revolver friendly" stages. :roflol:

Pretty sure you haven't heard this from any actual USPSA Revolver shooters. But thanks for the funny comment.

Pretty sure I have.

Will the 8 minor/6 major have any effect on the high hit factors of the revolver division classifiers? I would imagine that it will, but no one has mentioned this aspect of the change that I have read.

I still don't think there will be more participation. You will just have some 625 shooters switching to 627s. Then the people with 625s and stages favoring 8 shot guns will get tired of getting beat by equipment and not shooters. They had fun shooting 6 shot guns but not enough to dump $2000 on new equipment to shoot a few revo matches a year. Maybe they keep shooting revos or maybe they pick another division to shoot.

I think what he is saying is you don't see a lot of people shooting limited with stock mags in a G22 the difference is to upgrade a G22 from 15 to 19-20 rd mags is about $35 each and you really only need 2 so $75 bucks gets you most of the way to competitive. with a revo you have to buy a new $1000+ gun and the associated moon clips.

Mike

Is that like saying no production shooter would shoot limited or open because they wouldn't drop $2000+ on a new gun. I'm not quite following.

That's my take on his post, but it's not my experience with IPSC'rs either now or back in the day.

So I just scored a new 5" 627 for almost $200 under msrp and I'm as happy as Gallagher at a Fruit Market. :roflol:

Now I get to enjoy the true USPSA experience and set up a new gun!!! And if the Division doesn't change, I will just have to track down, or start, an ICORE club. Or maybe NRA Action Pistol. Heck I'd play with it locally in Production rather than use my Glock. Either way I'll be able to play with it somewhere.

But I'll still be using my 625 in Revo Division until I'm convinced Minor will be worth it.

Edited by pskys2

Is that like saying no production shooter would shoot limited or open because they wouldn't drop $2000+ on a new gun. I'm not quite following.

Not quite the same comparison -- as many production guns are quite competitive in Limited or Open with some minor mods for Limited, and not so minor mods for Open....

That's my take on his post, but it's not my experience with IPSC'rs either now or back in the day.

So I just scored a new 5" 627 for almost $200 under msrp and I'm as happy as Gallagher at a Fruit Market. :roflol:

Now I get to enjoy the true USPSA experience and set up a new gun!!! And if the Division doesn't change, I will just have to track down, or start, an ICORE club. Or maybe NRA Action Pistol. Heck I'd play with it locally in Production rather than use my Glock. Either way I'll be able to play with it somewhere.

But I'll still be using my 625 in Revo Division until I'm convinced Minor will be worth it.

This is an intelligent post! I think it is speculation at this point as to what is better. i know for a match that requires more standing loads for 6 than 8, i'd do better. I still wouldn't have beaten Jerry at the Nationals. As it was I dropped very few points. I load slower and move while loading slower than he or Rich or Cliff etc..... But, I would rather have the extra shots and fewer loads. Maybe not a big deal at Nationals but at our local matches, shooting the 6 major sucks! And not because it's not competitive, but because it's so much work!

You guys that want to keep 6 major will be able to. If you feel you will no longer be competitive, well, maybe that's true. Ask yourself why you shoot the revolver, if you are one of the few that do? Is it because it's fun, or is it to be competitive or because you don't like the other divisions? For me it's because I really like to compete. i will use the best equipment I can. i wanna win. If that's not you, then either way this goes makes no difference.

This has become beat to death. Let your AD know what you want, then get out there and shoot. Otherwise these opinions really mean very little, and I should have just gone to the garage and loaded ammo for camp perry! Ya, I won't win there either, and I do not shoot the most competitive gun, but I go, and try my best. i don't expect everyone else to shoot a service pistol all week just because I do.....

Edited by TGO

TGO A big brawny guy like you worried about recoil! Seriously it's the pounding to our hands from a Major PF Revo that hurts, especially the web. I just can't figure out how to put a Beavertail Grip Safety on it! As the song "Bad Company" says "i was born with a six gun in my hand", but in reality any hand gun will do.

So much for shooting USPSA revolver when I return from deployment. You guys are going to kill the revolver division, maybe that is what you want? I just don't understand it, there is only ONE manufacturer producing only ONE model of revolver that carries 8 rounds. It would be different if say, Ruger or another manufacturer, would also produce an 8 shot model but that is not the case. Maybe a certain manufacturer has bought off the BOD?

So much for shooting USPSA revolver when I return from deployment. You guys are going to kill the revolver division, maybe that is what you want? I just don't understand it, there is only ONE manufacturer producing only ONE model of revolver that carries 8 rounds. It would be different if say, Ruger or another manufacturer, would also produce an 8 shot model but that is not the case. Maybe a certain manufacturer has bought off the BOD?

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=250&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=lf2

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=250&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=lf2

Are ported guns permitted in revolver division ?

H_porting.jpg

You guys that want to keep 6 major will be able to. If you feel you will no longer be competitive, well, maybe that's true. Ask yourself why you shoot the revolver, if you are one of the few that do? Is it because it's fun, or is it to be competitive or because you don't like the other divisions? For me it's because I really like to compete. i will use the best equipment I can. i wanna win. If that's not you, then either way this goes makes no difference.

This has become beat to death. Let your AD know what you want, then get out there and shoot. Otherwise these opinions really mean very little, and I should have just gone to the garage and loaded ammo for camp perry! Ya, I won't win there either, and I do not shoot the most competitive gun, but I go, and try my best. i don't expect everyone else to shoot a service pistol all week just because I do.....

===================================================================================================

TGO,

Excellent post.

A service pistol at Perry? Certainly an uphill battle. You obviously enjoy shooting them.

That's why I shoot revolvers. I enjoy them. I'm not as proficient as I am with a semi-auto,but I'm working on it. And always nice to have new toys.

PS: How accurate are your service pistols?

Are ported guns permitted in revolver division ?

H_porting.jpg

oops, flaw in the plan :)

Grim, on 04 Jul 2013 - 10:10 AM, said: So much for shooting USPSA revolver when I return from deployment. You guys are going to kill the revolver division, maybe that is what you want? I just don't understand it, there is only ONE manufacturer producing only ONE model of revolver that carries 8 rounds. It would be different if say, Ruger or another manufacturer, would also produce an 8 shot model but that is not the case. Maybe a certain manufacturer has bought off the BOD?

This is way off base and the only real thing that this is about is change to try and entice, promote and to get more revolver shooters out there. If it doesn't work it reverts back to the way it is now in 2 years. I doubt if S&W would bribe the BOD to maybe sell 100 to 300 new revolvers. I think they have better things to do.

I want to thank you for your military duty as that is one of the reasons we get to play games such as these and get to comment on forums. I do hope that when you are done with your deployment you do give revolver a chance.

Again thanks to all former, present and future Veterans and happy 4th of July.

Edited by revoman