Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

uncalled firing

amateur

a club member has a colt series 70 that during fast reload the hammer falls. We then covered the trigger guard with tape to make sure not a pulled trigger, slam a magazine and did the same thing. It doesnt do that on slow reload. Whats the possible cause. what part needs to be replaced?

Thanks

If that were to happen with my gun I'd probably send it off to my smith, pronto!

But being the tinkerer that I am and knowing full well it hasn't happened before, here's what I'd do:

1. Detail strip the gun.

2. Examine the sear and hamer hooks.

3. If everythings normal, examine the sear spring.

4. If the sear spring's normal, put more tension on the finger riding the sear.

5. Re-assemble and try replicating the problem.

If the problem still occurs, time to talk to the smith. ;)

HTH. Good luck. :)

amateur, sounds like one of two things. either you have the mag coming into contact with the trigger bow when it is inserted or it is coming into contact with the disconnector upon insertion. this is why most trigger jobs include rounding the back lower edges where the sear pin goes through the disconector. most of the time you can feel this in the trigger when ( with an unloaded gun of course) you dry fire without a mag in and then with the mag in. it also could be happening with just the one mag, which may be fat. most of the newer parts we now use have this modification already done. but again it could be the trigger bow. you can also look up inside the magwell area and see the trigger bow and the disconnector and sometimes see it protruding into the magwell area. sounds like it will need a trip to a competent gunsmith for a trigger job. hope this helps, good shooting, j.l. hardy

I had to DQ a shooter yesterday because of a round going off during a reload. His position was such that I couldn't see if his finger was on the trigger or not. But, I had noticed, while running him in earlier stages, that he removed his finger from the trigger in a regular manner.

He took his gun to the safe area and played with inserting empty magazines. Found out that the hammer would follow while doing so. On his, it looked like the trigger bow might have been getting hit by the incoming mag.

(He was able to continue the match with a safe gun, as per the rules.)

Red book rule 10.3.2.4

The fact that the gun would drop the hammer while inserting a magazine (no finger on the trigger) meet the requirements of a broken gun. (Certainly isn't a "feature". :))

Let's keep this thread on topic...feel free to start a thread on 10.3.2.4...if we don't have one alredy