Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switch from Righthand to Lefthand in IDPA

kmaultsby

I shoot IDPA and I just jointed USPSA. In SSP shooting M&P 9mm I shoot marksmen and in ESP using my XD tactical I am a novice. Ok I could not take it anymore. I am right-hand left eye dominate. See double all the time. In my last IDPA match I started right-handed on the first two stages which were stages seven and eight and the last six stages I shoot left-handed. The reason I did this is because I noticed when I practices shoot left-handed my groups were better than when I shoot right-handed. Has any tried this that is cross eye dominated? I was shooting ESP and on average my raw time was about six seconds slower than in marksmen and sharpshooter division. I know I will need a lot of practice if I continue down this path. I did discover that need a lot work on shooting from fifteen to twenty five yards. Out of three shots on a target on average I will only have one or two not never all three. Any suggestions or tips?

Edited by kmaultsby

• 1 month later...

I have heard Mike Seeklander (I think it was him) say that he would teach a cross dominant shooter to shoot with the same hand as their dominant eye.

He said he would only do this with a true beginner shooter who had not already learned to shoot.

If they already were experienced shooters then he would not try and have them switch shooting hands.

Having said that, why not just close your left eye? I'm not cross dominant so I don't have experience dealing with it.

I've trained a couple of people with this. If they're adults, it's almost impossible to get them to the motor skills needed to shoot well with their non-dominant hand--even if they shoot a little better, they won't have all of the ancillary skills (reloading, etc.) to get them to the level they want, without a lot of work and frustration.

I generally recommend one of three things:

1) Shoot the gun in your dominant hand and tilt the gun to about 45 degrees. This brings the sights into alignment with your dominant eye. You will have to learn a new index and your recoil control will be slightly different, but the sights will be much more visible.

2) Tuck your chin into your shooting shoulder enough to bring the left eye into alignment with the sights. You will lose some peripheral vision on your dominant eye side, but you won't have to change much of anything else.

3) Tape over the dominant eye. This is the most common thing for people who don't want to close their dominant eye to do. I generally recommend this last and when the other two methods have failed. Some people don't like it, because their dominant eye will see the tape very clearly, and this can occlude their sight picture. It has also been known to give some people headaches.