Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions/thoughts on choking an older Beretta

DBChaffin

I picked up an older Beretta field gun, a "Gold Snipe" over/under from the late 60's or early 70's. It has been fired VERY little and is in great shape, just a few "banging around in the safe" marks on the wood, and the barrels are 30" and choked full/full. It has really nice wood for the lower priced range gun that it was when it was new. The recoil pad has dried and hardened some. I talked to a local 'smith who said he could choke it CHEAP but after buying it turns out he can't and doesn't want to get in over his head. I can respect that, but now I am trying to decide what to do. Do I send it to Briley and spend $325+ getting it choked (that included 5 chokes) or do I sell it, break even or make a few $$ and look for something else. It balances nicely and feels pretty good, but the comb might be a bit high. Not too big of deal to fix, but then I'd be redo-ing wood (wouldn't I?). From what I have heard, the older Beretta factory finishes weren't that tough anyway and a nice oil finish on this wood would look great. . .

I am obviously kindof torn. I was going to let the local smith do it because if it didnt shoot I could still get my money out of it. I know Briley will do it "right" but I'll have way more than I intended in the gun after all of that. I'll put it this way, doing recoil pad, wood, chokes, everything including purchasing price I would still be under $1k. Thanks for the help.

A key question is what purpose are you going to use the shotgun? If you were going to use it for Sporting Clays, I would consider keeping "fixed" chokes but have a gunsmith change the full/full to Light Mod and Improved Mod, or Improved Cylinder amd Modified.

Considering the cost of chokes, $325 is not a bad quote.

For sporting: .012" and .015"

For skeet: .003" and .005"

For trap: go shoot 5000 rounds through it.

I would first compare the price of screw-in chokes vs. getting the chokes opened up. If it would mainly be for Sporting Clays, you have to factor in your skill level. Some of our top shooters today love tight chokes. English champion George Digweed has been known to shoot a fixed choke gun.

Have you patterned the gun yet?

Choke constriction is only part of patterning. If the gun has non-backbored barrels and standard-length forcing cones, the pattern is likely equivalent to a mod choke in a more modern shotgun. If you want to shoot skeet, a couple of flats of spreader loads have to be far cheaper than re-choking the gun.

I'd leave it alone until you're sure something's actually "broken."

Having the chokes altered should cost about $40-$50 per bbl plus shipping, it might be $150 total.

Do the wood yourself and you might end up with a great hunting gun for little money.

Briley does a great job with chokes. Sounds like you have a smart gunsmith.

If you are looking for a "do all" gun for hunting/ clay targets, then I would check out the newer Beretta's first, just to compare. I've seen models as low as $900- $1200 in that category with choke tubes, different bbl lengths, stocks, etc.

But, I would call Cole Gunsmiths for an opinion on the Golden/Silver snipe series or anything Beretta for that matter. They have stocks, bbls, guns, etc and many people consider them the "Beretta" people. They also do choke work.

Good luck

• 1 year later...

Something else to remember is that there are basicly no new parts for the old Beretta shotguns (pre 680 series) I double checked with Les in Beretta gunsmithing and he confirmed they are getting hard to fix and were not really made to handle some of the "super sporting" type ammo out now...just FYI. I have an old BL4 and a BL5 and they really only due field stuff now rather than high round count sporting etc.

But if you love the gun and it fits you, have Briley put chokes in it.

... but the comb might be a bit high...

Whenever a shotgun does not fit, it is almost always more cost effective to trade or sell it. Altering the stock will not only cost you money, but will also reduce the gun's value. Trade to or buy a shotgun that fits you and that has changeable choke tubes or fixed choke barrels that meet your needs.

I had a Siver Snipe....the difference being auto ejectors on yours....Nice gun, but not one that I would spend 300 bucks getting chokes put into...

Better to sell it and put the money toward something with screw chokes in it...If you like double guns, look at Stoeger, Ruger and SKB...or go look at the auto loaders, they are nice and easy shooting....