Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beaver Tail and Hammer Inside my Hand

CocoBolo

Ole Tom's jammatic open gun locked up again, the fashion accessory slide racker was of no use, he tapped it a bit but didn't hit it very hard.

I took the gun in left hand and gave it a couple good whacks with the right, it moved some, just a bit more, so I slammed it like hos cartwright stomping on a bed bug, the pain shot to my elbow, look down cant see the hammer, as I pull back the blood is running down my hand, oopsie a mike, and a big hole between index finger and thumb.

Off to the med clinic, the nurse that cleaned it said ooh I've never seen that nerve before. Thanks, too much info, now hurry along and fetch the DR cause I might need to go to the restroom, and I can't do it alone. 3 minutes later the lidocaine is flowing danm no pain is wonderful. Dr asks, how did this happen, well Dock I jammed a beaver tail and a hammer thru there. He says wow looks like a Wilson beaver tail. So as he is sewing me up we talk guns and ammo.

The moral of the story is after a 100 times of clearing guns this way, I suggest caution. And from now on it it ain't mine I'm not helping.

Funny how much education costs, the bill was $235, but since I pay $6500 a year for insurance it was only $25, I fell like I'm already ahead.

Sorry to hear about your injury, first time I have ever heard of that happening. Reminds me of when I jammed the blade of an adjustable rear sight through the center of my palm trying to get the slide of a single stack pistol closed during a stage. ouch!

Neal in AZ

Sarge, :blink:

That just about made me tear up! Jeeze Louise man! Yeeeoowee! I got serious goose pimples reading that. I now continue my week cringing intermittently every time I remember this post.

Whoah.........

JZ :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

I went back to get the stitches out, different doctor, he looks at it makes these faces like eeew! then hesitates a bit and says we are going to take them out it won't heal any better with them in, Gee Thanks Doc, but let me give you a tip, Never Play Poker. I avoided laying laminate floor, missed a few matches. The hand is starting to feel good and look good, but the floor awaits. I'm in about 4 foot wide and whack the weak hand thumb with the Dead Blow Hammer, now I got bobo on the weak hand. The floor will be finished today, has a few drops of blood here and there, but I'm wrapping that thumb up and going for it. I need powder therapy!

Had a similar thing happen to me, helping a Jr shooter out. Held the gun firmly in my left hand gave it a good smack with my right hand and buried the beavertail all the way up to the frame tangs right between the thumb and index finger. happened in 03 I remember it clearly didnt really hurt but left a nasty looking wound. got light headed and queasy from looking at my hand I was finished for the day but my buddy finished the match before he took me to the ER. Got one stitch and was good to go a week later.

Ok got powder therapy Sunday at a steel match, my open gun doesn't have one of those fashion accessories and there was insufficient clearance for the bandaged thumb to get at the slide, so I took the Single Stack 45! Things were going well then I had a bullet get hung in the rifeling wouldn't close or open, crap, I'm going to have to whack the crap out of it to open it up! I held it in the right hand this time and whacked it with the bum thumb hand very carefully, got the round out it grew very long almost took the bullet all the way out. Ok, I've got to get over this fear of a jam! More powder therapy will take care of it, maybe I need to carry a few more bandaids in the range bag.

When I did it, I jammed it all the way over the beavertail and hammer, and it opened a window up the size of your thumb and I could see tendons nerves and muscles. I drove 45 miles to the med first with the hand elevated, and every few miles some dumb axx would cut me off or do something stupid, go figure!

Edited by CocoBolo